• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2012 GTR or 2008 Porsche Turbo?

You can get a new GTR for a little over $94k, a low mileage Porsche Turbo is close in price. Which would you get, and why? And if you think there are other exotics in this price range that are better, toss them in too!

(but no NSX with <insert name="" here=""> Lovefab/Angus/SoS/etc. mods, I already have an NSX :biggrin:)

wheels-Nissan-GT-R-2012-blogSpan.jpg

porsche-911-turbo-side-view.JPG
</insert>

I've never driven a Porsche Turbo or a GTR, or any high powered car, but if I were to base the two on looks, I would go with the Porsche Turbo. Everytime I see one, it looks awesome and makes me want one. Everytime I see a GTR I say meh, unless it's really done up.

Last edited:
Since you asked, I would get the gtr. Now, on the other hand, if you asked about a 997.2 turbo or turbo s, that would make it a more difficult decision

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I would say GTR. I've seen one up close and the most imposing car on the road is a GTR.

GTR for sure. Are you kidding?

Badassness.
0-60 in like 2.8.
Very few on the road.
Mucho Macho.
Probably hold it's value.

a friend of a friend who has leased both told me the gtr was way more fun because of the electronic controlls and the backseats were more useable for his kids,and it felt quicker.

Ford GT is an option.

Ummm, at $94k?? Please show us where.

OP, its a very open ended question since we don't know how you're planning to use the car and what your preferences are (styling, power, handling, etc.). A few other interesting options may include:

R8
Evora
V8 Vantage
Viper
ZR-1/Z06
GT3
Granturismo
M5

Driven both. Liked the GTR more. Though drives were on the street and not on track. The 911 turbo was more agile and sharp but the GTR wasnt too far behind. The GTR was more fun to toss around, had incredible grip, better driving position, and the acceleration was unbelievable.

LOL, you guys are insane. An 05 F430 is like 40-50k more. A Ford GT is 10-20k on top of that! (those Ford's are appreciating in value nicely) The Lambo is at least in the ballpark being 20-30k more.

It is interesting that so many said the GTR. I guess the Porsche pedigree isn't regarded as highly as the GTR?

Yeah, it was meant to be an open ended question. I was dreaming and thought about the '12 GTR. Then I thought, what else is out there that is comparable and in the price range. The only thing that came to mind was an '08 P-Turbo.

Weighing the differences was difficult. The GTR is a superior numbers car, but the Porsche is... a Porsche. It is the quintissential exotic. The engine hangs off the rear, defying the laws of physics. It's lineage can be traced back to the '60's. It comes from what is essentially a sports car manufacturer. It's German (love German engineering). Pedigree.

The GTR is new. That means less than 10 miles on the odo. There is a warranty. It has usable back seats (for kids). Superior performance. And a GTR is a GTR. There are a million different variants of a 911, but there is only 1 GTR.

So I was stumped.

Ummm, at $94k?? Please show us where.

OP, its a very open ended question since we don't know how you're planning to use the car and what your preferences are (styling, power, handling, etc.). A few other interesting options may include:

R8
Evora
V8 Vantage
Viper
ZR-1/Z06
GT3
Granturismo
M5

Nice list. Wasn't looking for a 4 door. Really want a "sports car", so the M5 is out. Definitely nothing American, corvettes are a dime a dozen. In my parking garage there are 3 Z06s and 2 ZR1s, forget about what I see on the road. Vipers are rare, but Snakey drives one, so no. The Ford GT would be the exception, but way out of range of the "$94k" GTR budget.

Then there is the R8. I just don't know what to make of it. It's not an ugly car, but the visual balance seems... off. It is mid engine, awd. Big plus. But why wouldn't I start looking at Lambo's instead?

The others you list might be viable options. I have to admit, none of them came to mind. I would have to look at pricing. The GT3, are you referring to the 911 variant? If so, what year?

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hX3XsJFt9ac?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hX3XsJFt9ac?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

I'd take one with 6speed without any doubt. I don't are the AT is faster.

I'm going to go with the GTR, on exclusivity alone. My office overlooks US 101 on the peninsula. While I'm microwaving some Hot Pockets, I play a little game: how many 911 class p-cars can I spot in the time it takes to nuke my lunch? In a typical session, I catch three on them. Lots of Corvettes, too.

I only very rarely see an NSX (see more Ferraris and Lambos than NSXen), and have only seen a GTR once.

The GT-R is an absolute beast that can be driven to work or a killer on the track. I miss a true six-speed around town, the dual clutch system is very aggravating starting in first and reverse, but those paddle shifters are beautiful on the track. It is a very big car and just not the same as an NSX or Porsche, etc. But it does what you would not think such a big car can do, like corner:D The car gets lots and lots of attention, and you will never see yourself except at the track. Plus it is new, so warranty is a biggie. Maintenance is ridiculous but it is trying to be an exotic. I am not crazy about the seating position (too high) and the seat bottom is too small for my 200# ass. The rear seats are a complete joke, and cannot be used for anything useful if either the driver or passenger are over 5'8". The rear window is huge and the black interior gets hotter than hell. But the A/C makes up for it. And the 2010 cannot import your iPhone phonebook. Hopefully Nissan has fixed this for 2012.

neither.
everyone has a 911 and i'll never own a 'sports' car without a real gearbox.

GTR in a heart beat...but don't like the fact I can't get it in 6 speed. Porche is too common. I think most NSX owners you'll find will pick the GTR. In my opinion (and the factual numbers along with various critics that have driven both) the GTR is the better sports car. But I especially like the exclusivity. The low yearly production numbers means that you won't see that many other people driving it. In the long run it will retain it's value. A lot like the NSX :)

GTR. 0-60 in under 3 seconds and they fixed the drivetrain issues so you can turn off traction control without voiding the warranty. Faster around a road course unless you are a really really good driver.

Drove an 08 turbo S and it felt kind of flabby around town. Might be better as the speeds rise but how fast can you drive it and get away with it these days.

I cannot believe we aren't seeing more "Get the R8".

I've driven two and they are superb! You get the awd performance, cornering abilities, exotic looks, and Audi quality. The service costs for the R8 are alot lower than one would expect too. You can get it in a manual and tip transmissions.

Go drive one.

I'm just not sold on the GTR as it isn't as exotic looking as other choices in this price segment. Sure its a performance beast but looks like an Infiniti G35 kinda...

I loved my 911 and who cares if they are everywhere...that tells you something.

But if I had your money I'd be shopping for an R8 or Gallardo.

I cannot believe we aren't seeing more "Get the R8".

I've driven two and they are superb! You get the awd performance, cornering abilities, exotic looks, and Audi quality.

But if I had your money I'd be shopping for an R8 or Gallardo.

Audi quality??? You have got to be joking..
Audi quality was superb in the past, untill something like 12 years ago, but since then quality hasn't been too good (to say it mildly)
I know several hardcore Audi drivers having owned Audi's since the early 90's, but leaving the brand during the last 12 years due to loads of expensive tech problems occurring time after time, buying japanese cars instead and beeing very happy with them.

It may not have been a well example, but I have driven a 2005 Gallardo and even though the performance was awesome, the way it drove and the quality (or lack of it) made it clear to me that when I wanted to spend that kind of money, I would definatly spend it on something else... like on a GT-R.
I have driven that too and it was awesome (when I got back in my CTSC NSX, it felt soo slow:frown:). Even though a R8 is undoubtedly way more beautiful, I would still feel uneasy about it's long term durability, using common sense I would go for the performance and quality (and better price) of the GT-R.

I've now had my GTR for almost 3 years. It followed 5 years of F360 and 4 years of Gallardo's. GTR is an overall better and more satisfying experience. As to P 911 cars, I like my horses in front of my rear axle; much better life protection. Go for the GTR, especially a 2012, it will keep you smiling for a long time...

Back