• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2012 NSX Concept

It's an R8 with an Acura badge. Lose the hybrid stuff...

No, it looks leaps beyond the R8 and has major MP4-12C influence along with some other design cues. The design stands on it own, but the frontal shape is reminiscent of the R8. Nonetheless, the R8 is fat and obese. The current NSX concept is no where near obese. Check the dimensions yourself if you don't believe your eyes.

According to Gorden Murray, shorter the frontal area, better and more stable the car will be, and I think Honda got it right with this design. The nose is much shorter than the MP4, Evora, R8, etc.

It really is a good design. I'm fully impressed. I just hope Honda don't mess with the "chi" when they put it through production.

What a beautiful car.
Frontal area is the silhouette of the car from the front, not the length of the nose or hood.

No, it looks leaps beyond the R8 and has major MP4-12C influence along with some other design cues. The design stands on it own, but the frontal shape is reminiscent of the R8. Nonetheless, the R8 is fat and obese. The current NSX concept is no where near obese. Check the dimensions yourself if you don't believe your eyes.

How right you are! I went to the Audi area after the NSX reveal and they had a R8 GT convertible that looked positively bloated in comparison. Audi will have a new R8 by the time the NSX hits the streets so we'll see what the Germans do to pare the look down.

This concept is hideous. There, I said it. Did Acura even bother to ask actual NSX owners what they would like to see in the next gen model? On other threads here it is mentioned numerous times how this design just doesn't grab you like the original did/does. It looks just like the R8/Lotus/McLaren. I'm just disappointed after all these years if this is going to be the new design or even close to it. At any rate, the originals we own blow this thing away in the looks department.

This concept is hideous. There, I said it. Did Acura even bother to ask actual NSX owners what they would like to see in the next gen model? On other threads here it is mentioned numerous times how this design just doesn't grab you like the original did/does. It looks just like the R8/Lotus/McLaren. I'm just disappointed after all these years if this is going to be the new design or even close to it. At any rate, the originals we own blow this thing away in the looks department.

Would rather have a front engined ASCC or how about nothing at all? :rolleyes:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the original NSX looks dated at this point. Even a Ferrari 355 looks a little dated. Twenty more years from now and they will be classics much the same as the Ferrari Dino is becoming.

Would rather have a front engined ASCC or how about nothing at all? :rolleyes:

Although I don't find it "hideous", I have to admit the design just isn't "doing it" for me right now. To be fair to Honda, that is based upon simply seeing an empty shell of a car without having any other definitive details and whether I will still be able to play my cassette tapes in the new model......

In another of these multiple threads, someone wrote that he hoped it would "grow on him". Assuming a price somewhere in the 100k range, I shouldn't need a car to grow on me. When I saw the original in 1989 I knew I wanted one, I knew I would buy one and I knew I wanted to keep one. After over 12 years of owning mine and putting 134k on it, I intend to own and drive it regularly as long as LarryB can keep it running.

I can't say the new one does the same for me. Is it "fugly" or "hideous" as some have written - no. Does it remind me of other cars on the road - yes. Am I salivating over one - no.

I am curious as to whether the adulation being heaped upon an empty shell at the moment is the result of exhuberance that Acura is finally going/trying/promising to make a new "NSX" and that is the reason we have people already talking about putting money down on a "concept" scheduled to come out in 2015. Putting aside the lack of any interior/motor and the "hideous" wheels (I do admit to detesting those wheels), the body reminds me of an R8 that is on a slimfast diet but is still in need of a nosejob.

Once again, I don't hate it but it isn't causing the same love affair I had in '89. I am quite content to keep and drive my '96 as long as humanly possible. (And to hijack my own post, I felt the same way when I bought my E55 AMG which now has 230,000 miles on it........)

Last edited:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the original NSX looks dated at this point. Even a Ferrari 355 looks a little dated. Twenty more years from now and they will be classics much the same as the Ferrari Dino is becoming.

Yep, I felt the same way about my NSX. I've been without a NSX for about 6 years now and I don't miss it whenever I see a NA1/NA2 NSX on the road.

I might be in the minority but the NSX2.0 prototype looks better than the original NSX.

The "beak" and wheels are an easy fix. I hope they clean up the rear a bit and have an integrated spoiler like the NSX. Just build the damn thing already.

RSO I couldn't agree with you more. I believe C&D had it on their cover in '89 and I had to have one. Seventeen years later I got one and still love it as much as when I first saw it. I realize this current design is in its infancy, but I'm just not feeling it. Maybe I was expecting more of an homage to the first gen, or maybe I secretly don't want them to make a model that I like more than mine:biggrin:

comparison:
Esprit
2013-lotus-esprit_800x0w.jpg

McLaren MP4-12C
mp4-12c-white-01-m.jpg

PS'd NSX Concept
NSX2white.jpg

courtesy of Type-SR
my friend's design for NSX
393511_10150583566776224_690446223_11188967_137475301_n.jpg

:cool:

Blue :)?

B@t™

I might be in the minority but the NSX2.0 prototype looks better than the original NSX.

I felt the same way when I first saw 2.0 as well. I really felt the new car made the old look dated not classic. Old car is still great but it's just really old. When there was nothing to replace it with it was considered the last and best but Honda is picking up where they left off with something much more advanced. People who still love the old one but want something new can get an Evora which is very similar in spirit and even has the integrated rear spoiler. Everything else is moving on and changing with the times.

courtesy of Type-SR
my friend's design for NSX
393511_10150583566776224_690446223_11188967_137475301_n.jpg

This is the best design out of any that I've seen by far for this alleged new NSX. I know it's a sketch, but Honda needs to pursue this and stop doing whatever they're doing over there right now. Fire their blind-ass design staff and hire the designer of this sketch. It captures the beak and their current edgy design theme AND makes it beautiful- a feat Acura has not been able to accomplish.

My $.02 on the beak: Honda continues to give their cars a "smile". If they would simply turn their design upside down, all their vehicles would look "angry" and thus look more in line with what the average male consumer wants.

I wish I had Photoshop skills in order to prove my point.

How right you are! I went to the Audi area after the NSX reveal and they had a R8 GT convertible that looked positively bloated in comparison. Audi will have a new R8 by the time the NSX hits the streets so we'll see what the Germans do to pare the look down.

The Audi R8 was the car I wanted to own, until they unveiled the Lotus Esprit. However Looking at the new NSX concept, I ,without hesitation set my mind on the NSX :)

I saw a R8 on the road the other day, and it really didn't do it for me, the rear of the car lacks refinement.

NSX all the way!

Although I don't find it "hideous", I have to admit the design just isn't "doing it" for me right now.... I don't hate it but it isn't causing the same love affair I had in '89.

My feeling exactly. I was lucky enough to be given a (Sebring Silver) prototype for four days -- it was in the US for hot weather testing a year or so before the launch. I asked to buy it, but was told it was not "federalized" and was going back to Japan to be studied, then crushed. I was crushed. Took me a couple years after the launch to find a used silver one (the guy had a 348 on order). I never looked back -- and still feel really sorry for the previous owner with that 348.

Last edited:
This is the best design out of any that I've seen by far for this alleged new NSX. I know it's a sketch, but Honda needs to pursue this and stop doing whatever they're doing over there right now. Fire their blind-ass design staff and hire the designer of this sketch. It captures the beak and their current edgy design theme AND makes it beautiful- a feat Acura has not been able to accomplish.

What was this design from Oyagi's friend?

Back