• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2013 Detroit Auto Show

[/QUOTE] I think that goes against your first point (not here yet), but probably reinforces your second (cost prohibitive). Then again, we can always dream considering an all-aluminum car with titanium rods wasn't the obvious path 22 years ago.[/QUOTE]

Certainly carbon fiber wheels are with us.
Many years ago I was looking at Dymag carbon fiber wheels for my Ducati but Dymag went out of business.
At the time they wanted about $2000 per wheel for a motorcycle.

I think my point is about durabilty and suitabilty of a carbon fiber wheel for a voume OEM application
I doubt CarbonRev (or anyone else) is ready to offer a carbon fiber wheel for an OEM that would stand up to the daily driving habits of a volume market.
I think at this point CF wheels are a niche market for well-heeled owners who will take very good care of them.
I doubt Honda would want to risk a recall on NSX wheels because they couldn't handle winter driving or NewYork potholes.

But as you say 22 years ago the NSX was a technological wonder.
Maybe this time it will be the hybrid driveline, low weight for a hybrid and hp per liter from a V6 that will be the trend setter.

Jim

Wow! The exterior is really evolving into one sexy vixen! They made the beak look quite good really.

Though I'm not a fan of the red, the interior is amazing in its design. I love the simplicity of the layout of the controls. Very nice. I can easily see this next my current NSX.

Honda Accord PlugIn Aero Wheels

...no ordinary wheel, and there is actually function (possibly carbon, possibly a unique mounting system, and possibly some sort of aero cooling or scavenging design)...

NSX_Concept_191_zpsc91babc4.jpg

Please look at the production wheel on the new Honda Accord Plug In (they call it Aero Wheel)--it is functional. There is some resemblance.

HondaPlugInWheel.jpg

I love this new concept look. I, like some, went from hating the front end to loving it. I could imaging seeing that in my rear view mirror--its mean.

Yes, this wheel is functional for sure, and I personally LIKE IT. This car is a home run as far as its current looks go.

I believe there is no manual option due to the complexity of the computized drivetrain with all the electric motors, etc. it's probably difficult to introduce that human element into shifts and make everything still work smoothly. We are talking about 3 electric motors and some sort of trick transmission I am sure. The shifting days are just gone guys, if you really want a stick keep what you have. The C7 and 998 are a couple of the last holdouts. And these don't sell anyway. It's like a 90/10 ratio. How would Paris Hilton and Lindsey Lohan drive the new NSX if it had a third pedal....

So this machine which is supposedly the halo for man-machine synergy offers only the choice of shifting through paddles? More marketing bullshit. Nothing is more satisfying than shifting your own gears, that's real man-machine synergy and driving engagement. It also looks like Optimus Prime had sex with the Audi R8.

I think a car can still be very engaging with paddle shifters. It's not a deal breaker. It still is involving because you are watching the tach, making decisions, and doing something. It's not with your left foot, but you are still doing the shifting. I feel pretty content in my Maserati and that's not the best trans in the world.

The responsiveness of the trans to your inputs is very Imporant here. There are good and bad transmissions. It takes nohting away from the experience in a 458. But putting your Jetta in "manual mode" and pushing the lever up and down isn't going to do it. People have little understanding of transmissions. I think if it's a good one, it'll be very satisfying and involving.

So this machine which is supposedly the halo for man-machine synergy offers only the choice of shifting through paddles? More marketing bullshit. Nothing is more satisfying than shifting your own gears, that's real man-machine synergy and driving engagement. It also looks like Optimus Prime had sex with the Audi R8.

I'm with you, Nero. And how about a proper hand brake rather than the oh-so-trendy electronic parking brake. And do we really need an i-drive type interface for audio and climate control rather than simple nobs that fall easily to hand and can be set by feel while keeping one's attention on the driving? Sadly all of these components of a proper man-machine interface seem to be headed the way of running boards and fender mounted spare tires.

Think I will be hanging on to my old school NSX for awhile. Nice concept though.

Last edited:
I'm with you, Nero. And how about a proper hand brake rather than the oh-so-trendy electronic parking brake. And do we really need an i-drive type interface for audio and climate control rather than simple nobs that fall easily to hand and can be set by feel while keeping one's attention on the driving? Sadly all of these components of a proper man-machine interface seem to be headed the way of running boards and fender mounted spare tires.

Think I will be hanging on to my old school NSX for awhile. Nice concept though.

c48f35ea1bcafb389938cdbf2232ef65.jpg

:D :D

Tof, sure you can get in without injuring your back buddy? It's pretty low this car...

:tongue:

I think the interior and exterior are a home run.

Wheels not so much...here's to hoping the car won't be over $125 as its in 911 territory and the new 991 is utterly superb.

You guys sound like owners of Ferrari 328/348's in 1990 when the NSX came out.

"Aluminum body - it will fall apart. Titanium engine parts, VTEC what's that BS about?
Reliable, low maintenance, who needs it? Comfortable to drive - what rubbish!

Lads, you're starting to sound old and crotchety and I'm 65. :)

Jim

Where's the trunk? Our cars have a decent one and its not in the front so you can work better aerodynamics with the R hood and duct. The new car is looking better than the concept as I see them massaging it to more appropriate proportions. I still don't like the design direction and the front bumper is still stupidly convoluted with its completely ridiculous mustache. Seriously does look like Optimus Prime with the mouth plate and robot eye headlights, which could be ok without the mustache perhaps.

Where's the trunk? Our cars have a decent one and its not in the front so you can work better aerodynamics with the R hood and duct. The new car is looking better than the concept as I see them massaging it to more appropriate proportions. I still don't like the design direction and the front bumper is still stupidly convoluted with its completely ridiculous mustache. Seriously does look like Optimus Prime with the mouth plate and robot eye headlights, which could be ok without the mustache perhaps.

Now that's a very good question about the trunk. One of the lovely features of our long tail design.
Do you think with all the overhang in the front there's some room in there?
Do all cars still have spare tires now?

Jim

Nero I guess this means you'll have to stop dating girls with lots of baggage.

Haha Dave!!! I actually use the NSX a lot and I often have my trunk full of stuff including my gym bag, tools, etc. It really helped me out when I daily drove the NSX for years and was a trademark of the NSX and its fighter jet look that Ferraris didn't have at all. Not that Honda didn't shit all over NSX trademarks with this new concept. It's only been 7 years since the last NSX, it would have been better to evolve it keeping the NSX brand intact rather than try and make a car that looks like a next generation R8. Just IMO. :D

Last edited:
did I miss the exciting raw photo footage from the reveal like we had last year:confused:

Back