• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2013 Porsche Boxster Evolves into a Beauty

Check out the 2013 Porsche Boxster with the "NSX like" side profile.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1201_2013_porsche_boxster/

Considering the Boxster is now 15 years old, it's evolution from the 201 HP anemic "chick car" It was born as, into it's current rather hot "S" setup is quite admirable. I am sure that many of us wish that in the 20 years since the NSX was introduced it could have evolved as well to it's next generation.

I hate to dampen the thread, but the Boxster has never done it for me and I like this model even less than the Spyder. If it wasn't for the GT3, Porsche would have lost it for me years ago.

Most of the dislike for the boxster that I have seen comes from people's subjective opinions based mainly on their perception of what the car is, rather than what the car really is.

If you spend an extensive amount of time with one it becomes evident pretty quickly how excellent a car it is, how well it is engineered, and how it outdoes every car in its class by a long shot. Experienced track drivers will instantly know it is better balanced and does many things better than a 911.

A lot of people I have met seem to like the Cayman better, until I tell them that the Cayman is mostly a Bosxter coupe, at which point they say "oh" and have that dissapointed look on their face again. I hear terms like "cheap 911", "cheap Porsche", "girls porsche", etc., but I like said these are mostly opinions from people who have never driven or understood the car. I've tried to guide people in the direction of a Boxster or Cayman many times and instead they have chosen to blow their budget and get a base 911 because it is more "macho" in their eyes, yet clearly the worse car for them especially with their driving skill level.

I think this may be one reason Porsche continues to keep around a car with an ill engine placement design like the 911. It is why it continues to hold down the power on the Boxster and Cayman so as to not upset the carefuly crafted image of its 911.

As good at people think the GT-3 is... I can assure you that a Cayman with similar power levels and brakes would leave it in the dust and be more of a joy to drive.

Personally I would take the "baby", the "girly", the "cheap", the "anemic" porsche over the 911 any day and put the money saved into more apropriate mods. If I tracked, I would take a Cayman and if it was a daily, I would take the Boxster S who... with the top off, is just pure joy to drive.

The Boxster suffers from some of the same image problems as a Miata... another REAL sports car that takes a beating because it's small, girly, wimpy, cheap, etc. People that make fun of these cars aren't really knowledgable drivers IMO. If one is, you have to give credit where it's due... to the outstanding engineering, performance, and value of these cars. The Boxster IMO, is and has always been a terrific car and a phenomenal value. Lots of performance, LOTS of room with two "trunks", great all weather capability with good tires (heavy drive wheel weight bias), and open weather in the summer. It has excellent steering, excellent brakes, good acceleration, is extremely communicative, is well balanced, and has terrific seats. Reliable and cheap on the used market. One of the best daily's you can own.

Last edited:
Headlights reminds me of........

toyota-mr2-convertible-1-8-vvti-2dr-achard-top-1864987478-640x480.jpg

i think the Europeans are at their peak and ripping off the Japanese.

F458 and HSC
Lexus LS tail lights and BMW 7 series.

Most of the dislike for the boxster that I have seen comes from people's subjective opinions based mainly on their perception of what the car is, rather than what the car really is.

If you spend an extensive amount of time with one it becomes evident pretty quickly how excellent a car it is, how well it is engineered, and how it outdoes every car in its class by a long shot. Experienced track drivers will instantly know it is better balanced and does many things better than a 911.

A lot of people I have met seem to like the Cayman better, until I tell them that the Cayman is mostly a Bosxter coupe, at which point they say "oh" and have that dissapointed look on their face again. I hear terms like "cheap 911", "cheap Porsche", "girls porsche", etc., but I like said these are mostly opinions from people who have never driven or understood the car. I've tried to guide people in the direction of a Boxster or Cayman many times and instead they have chosen to blow their budget and get a base 911 because it is more "macho" in their eyes, yet clearly the worse car for them especially with their driving skill level.

I think this may be one reason Porsche continues to keep around a car with an ill engine placement design like the 911. It is why it continues to hold down the power on the Boxster and Cayman so as to not upset the carefuly crafted image of its 911.

As good at people think the GT-3 is... I can assure you that a Cayman with similar power levels and brakes would leave it in the dust and be more of a joy to drive.

Personally I would take the "baby", the "girly", the "cheap", the "anemic" porsche over the 911 any day and put the money saved into more apropriate mods. If I tracked, I would take a Cayman and if it was a daily, I would take the Boxster S who... with the top off, is just pure joy to drive.

The Boxster suffers from some of the same image problems as a Miata... another REAL sports car that takes a beating because it's small, girly, wimpy, cheap, etc. People that make fun of these cars aren't really knowledgable drivers IMO. If one is, you have to give credit where it's due... to the outstanding engineering, performance, and value of these cars. The Boxster IMO, is and has always been a terrific car and a phenomenal value. Lots of performance, LOTS of room with two "trunks", great all weather capability with good tires (heavy drive wheel weight bias), and open weather in the summer. It has excellent steering, excellent brakes, good acceleration, is extremely communicative, is well balanced, and has terrific seats. Reliable and cheap on the used market. One of the best daily's you can own.

My work is always damn busy every day, excuse me for the short note. I drove my daily beater [911-Lite-S] pretty hard during sunny day on Cali’s highway. When I reached 75 mph, the visual feeling is like 90mph especially in city. Front end is a bit light because of MR set up. When I placed lots groceries in the front trunk, the handling feels better during highway junction ramps. After tried out [911-Ultra-Lite-S], [911-Lite-S], C4S, C2S, and turbo. Confirmed, it is [911-Lite-S] in the levels. [911-Ultra-Lite-S] is decent for a lady and old folks.
Last time I saw one video, and it shows Porsche marketing still needs 2 more models to generate enough revenue. Have you ever heard of an old model before? It's 924. IMHO, that's not a Porsche.
So far the best [911-Lite-S] would be the Oris and RUF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc4GDlbLTus&feature=player_embedded

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

Excellent observation and exactly my feelings on the situation.

Firstly I think most 911 drivers buy the car simply because of the name on the badge and they want people to know they spent $$$$. So they look down on the Boxster cause it's cheaper and call it a "girly car" when in fact given the chance the Boxster/Cayman would kick the 911s azz around a track.

I think I read an article a while back comparing the Cayman R to the base 911 and the Cayman outperformed.

Reminds me of the Carrera GT a bit.

I had a (1st Gen) Boxster about 11 years ago. great handling car, underpowered, but great handling.

I've always said this, Porsche hold the Cayman/Boxster back on power and brakes because it would destory a 911.

There's a reason no other manufacturer places the engine behind the rear wheels.

The Boxster suffers from some of the same image problems as a Miata... another REAL sports car that takes a beating because it's small, girly, wimpy, cheap, etc. People that make fun of these cars aren't really knowledgable drivers IMO. If one is, you have to give credit where it's due...

Maybe it is a US thing, but most little sports cars here seem looked down on. Almost always when cars come up in conversation with my non-enthusiast acquaintances it comes down to power, and the little cars don't pack as much. They sound even slower then they are because most don't consider the much lighter weight of the car either. That said, I've yet to have somebody over the years that I let drive one of mine (Fiats, MR2, Cayman) that didn't really enjoy it and "get it" after running around. It may not be their thing, but they understand the appeal.

Current DD is the Cayman (Boxter in Seattle a waste as the MR2 tought me!), which I still contend is the best looking of the current Porsches ;) Very fun car, makes the commute a blast, reasonably practical and not so much $$$ that I'm afraid to take it places. All the press stuff about feedback to the driver, handling etc are spot on. Have to say it is the WORST car I have ever driven in the snow, EVER lol. An upside down turtle gets along better!

snowcayman.jpg

I call Porsche "lazy men's sports car."

It is reasonably prices, it is fast straight, and it has the badges to impress girls.

Almost EVERYONE I know bought a Porsche new also bought extended warrantee. Now I think about it, I think it is every one.

They are great cars, just not good enough for me. :biggrin:

This from the man who says the next NSX "has" to be a looker and exceed expectations. Nothing about the Boxster is a looker. So what if it drives great. I would rather have my NSX or S2000 because at the end of the day it drives great AND it makes me smile to look at it. JMHO

And yes, I spent time with a Boxster Spyder when I was looking to get rid of the GT-R. Just no comparison. Not nearly as much fun, and not any more feedback which really surprised me. Oh well.

Last edited:
This from the man who says the next NSX "has" to be a looker and exceed expectations. Nothing about the Boxster is a looker. So what if it drives great. I would rather have my NSX or S2000 because at the end of the day it drives great AND it makes me smile to look at it. JMHO

And yes, I spent time with a Boxster Spyder when I was looking to get rid of the GT-R. Just no comparison. Not nearly as much fun, and not any more feedback which really surprised me. Oh well.

Looks are a preference thing. You need the try the "S". The Boxster/Cayman S is a fantastic sports car if your into driving and not drag racing. The Boxster isn't for me I don't like convertibles. But the Cayman I can definitely see myself owning. Especially with some of the RUF goodies. Hell Yeah! Guess thats the benefit of being a used car dealer. If I don't like it I can sell is and make money on it.

This from the man who says the next NSX "has" to be a looker and exceed expectations. Nothing about the Boxster is a looker. So what if it drives great.

Looks are subjective and my point is that many that put the Boxster down do it because in their head they have a certain "image" of the car and that image doesn't match the image they like to reflect. It has nothing to do with the car. If you don't like its looks that's fine, not everyone likes every car but you cannot fault the car's engineering.

I was amazed how much we could stuff into both trunks,many moons ago with a rental boxter.

I can't remember the circumstances in how or why it happened but I drove a Cayman and about an hour later drove a 350z. The 350z felt like a cayman with a small chunk of wood under the accelerator. IMO the cars were really close. I can't imagine paying 2x or more for the cayman cause it was not 2x the car. I took both cars down the same road where there is a switch back set of turns, both cars handled close enough to say the same. I was actually more shocked about how good the 350z was.

Me neither. I never like the look of the Boxster. Has nothing to do with the "girly" perception of the car. I actually like the look of the Miata more than the Boxster.

I hate to dampen the thread, but the Boxster has never done it for me and I like this model even less than the Spyder. If it wasn't for the GT3, Porsche would have lost it for me years ago.

I can't remember the circumstances in how or why it happened but I drove a Cayman and about an hour later drove a 350z. The 350z felt like a cayman with a small chunk of wood under the accelerator. IMO the cars were really close. I can't imagine paying 2x or more for the cayman cause it was not 2x the car. I took both cars down the same road where there is a switch back set of turns, both cars handled close enough to say the same. I was actually more shocked about how good the 350z was.

The 350z is a nice car for the money. But I would be more then happy to pay the extra to not have to deal with the Zs crap interior. But you get what you pay for. The new Z is busted @$$ ugly. But fun to drive got to give them that.

A quote from the comment section.

"The thing is, the base model price is an illusion. Everything is an option. After I was done shopping for my "base" model I spent $65K. Don't get me wrong, it's a great car and I love it but the base price thing is just not reality."

I agree with that sentiment.

Like all German cars, base prices are always an illusion.

255hp for sportscar in that price range that is produces in 2012 is simply not worth the price, regardless of the badge. Than again, an Audi TT is now over $50k.

I'll buy another low milege used NSX-T.

I sort of prefer the older look.

The head and tail lights look funny. I can't really pinpoint it but the just don't look right.

Porsche did a great job in the looks department on the new 911. Not so on the Boxster.

Hope the Cayman will be better.

Porsche is on a roll with their Sportscars. This and the new 911 are beautiful evolutions and refinements of core good ideas. I wish Honda would get their head out of their ass and take lessons from them. Porsche fans get the best 911 that continuously grows with a worlds first 7 spd manual and we get an all wheel drive hybrid v6 that looks like a copy of an existing car from another automaker. Even if Porsche had to sell out and make bullshit like the cayenne and now panamera... Maybe it was worth it in the long run.

Last edited:
Wow. It is nice looking.

But 65K for a 260hp car? :eek: I've done that before...and wouldn't do it again. :wink:

Back