• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2019 nsx

people that have the sound pipe in through the speakers does it brother you and is there any way to turn it off,also does the start and stop become a pain at stop lights. is the ride very firm thank you.

Last edited:
The piped in sound is not annoying at all. I don't know if it's possible to disconnect the source. The start stop can be disabled iirc. The ride isn't spine jolting.

This is directly from the press kit. I personally do not mind any of the sounds and most people that are in the car comment how great it sounds inside the cabin.

"Intake Sound Control

To enhance the driver's visceral experience inside the NSX cabin, the Integrated Dynamics System can be used to engage the new intake sound control and active exhaust valve systems to fine-tune cabin sound quality and volume to match the selected dynamic mode. The sound pressure level range within the cabin between wide open throttle in Track mode and electric vehicle cruising in Quiet mode is 25 (dB)—a wide range of audible sensation.

NSX intake sound control.jpg

Active Exhaust Valve

The NSX active exhaust valve system is a complimentary component of the Integrated Dynamics system, offering quiet and refined driving or pulse-quickening sound at the will of the driver. Two electrically-operated valves are either open or closed based on driver throttle inputs and the selected mode of the Integrated Dynamics System setting.

In Quiet mode, the exhaust valves are closed, and the exhaust gases are routed through silencers and out the two outboard exhaust pipes for a more subdued exhaust sound, allowing the driver to experience the intake soundtrack more clearly. Power and torque from the Sport Hybrid SH-AWD power unit is more than sufficient to effortlessly meet driver demands.

In Sport mode, the exhaust valves are initially closed. They will open depending on how aggressively the driver accelerates.

In Sport+ and Track modes, the exhaust valves are open, enabling maximum exhaust gas velocity out of all four exhaust pipes. This produces maximum engine performance and a full‑throated exhaust note.

The active exhaust valve system—together with the cabin sound modulation technologies of Active Sound Control and Intake Sound Control—serves to create a customizable auditory experience both in and outside of the NSX. From the hushed silence of Quiet mode to the full concerto of Track mode, the cabin fills with sounds every driving enthusiast loves to hear: the high‑performance "pop" from the exhaust when executing an upshift, the quick blip of the throttle upon downshifting and the occasional distinctive off-throttle burble that is a welcome reminder of the power and torque capability of the twin-turbocharged V6 engine."

In regards to the stop/start at stoplights and low speeds, I do not mind this system at all. It kicks in much smoother than any other vehicle I have been in thanks to the active engine mounts. Also, if you do not like this system you can switch the dynamic mode or you can push the drive button a second time to enter manual paddle shift mode. In manual mode the engine will never shut off even if you are in regular sport mode.

The ride is incredibly comfortable. My girlfriend has slept in the passenger seat for hours on some of the longer trips and she was plenty comfortable. That's saying a lot since the roads in Minnesota are definitely not the smoothest.

people that have the sound pipe in through the speakers does it brother you and is there any way to turn it off,also does the start and stop become a pain at stop lights. is the ride very firm thank you.

Thank you, dshinke, for that write-up. Good stuff.

Just to be crystal clear for mono01: This vehicle does not pipe in any sound through the stereo speakers (a-la the BMW i8). Nor does it electronically alter the sound that it allows through the variable cabin ports. Had it done so — and I’m serious — I would not have bought the car. That’s how strongly I feel about that BS way of “enhancing the driving experience.” It’s just cheating!!!

My NSX is a daily driver. I can report to you that having a Quiet / EV Mode is a Godsend when you have to take an important call.

people that have the sound pipe in through the speakers does it brother you and is there any way to turn it off
Just drive in Quiet mode. That stops most, if not all, the piped in sound.
also does the start and stop become a pain at stop lights.
No, it is quite unobtrusive. The electric motors remove any judder. If you don't like it though, just drive in Sport/manual mode, or Sport+/Track modes, which disables the stop/start
is the ride very firm thank you.
In Quiet and Sport mode, ride is comfortable for a performance car. It's not going to be soft as a Lexus, but it is easily daily driveable.

I found the sound really annoying so made magnetic sound deadening covers for those ports. Much more enjoyable.

Ride is fine - what it should be. Engine start stop is ok too. Keep in Sport+ and no start stop.

Now that I have two German cars, I do find it odd that in a $150k+ car that you can't disable the start/stop feature in the vehicle settings. Just another simple, but overlooked user friendly option that the engineers at AHM didn't want to give the end user the ability to program.

Now that I have two German cars, I do find it odd that in a $150k+ car that you can't disable the start/stop feature in the vehicle settings. Just another simple, but overlooked user friendly option that the engineers at AHM didn't want to give the end user the ability to program.

Unfortunately, Mercedes doesn't allow you to turn it off in settings either. Whther it's the cheapest, or most expensive, you have to turn it off each time you start the car, it's a PITA, but I do it. In my wife's BMW, I push the little button on the side of the start/stop button, and it's off...................and I don't have to push it each time I start, much better.

Unfortunately, Mercedes doesn't allow you to turn it off in settings either. Whther it's the cheapest, or most expensive, you have to turn it off each time you start the car, it's a PITA, but I do it. In my wife's BMW, I push the little button on the side of the start/stop button, and it's off...................and I don't have to push it each time I start, much better.

You are correct. In my BMW it's always off. In my wife's MB, I have an individual setting and all I have to do is select it and each time.

This is directly from the press kit. I personally do not mind any of the sounds and most people that are in the car comment how great it sounds inside the cabin.

"Intake Sound Control

To enhance the driver's visceral experience inside the NSX cabin, the Integrated Dynamics System can be used to engage the new intake sound control and active exhaust valve systems to fine-tune cabin sound quality and volume to match the selected dynamic mode. The sound pressure level range within the cabin between wide open throttle in Track mode and electric vehicle cruising in Quiet mode is 25 (dB)—a wide range of audible sensation.

View attachment 161977

Active Exhaust Valve

The NSX active exhaust valve system is a complimentary component of the Integrated Dynamics system, offering quiet and refined driving or pulse-quickening sound at the will of the driver. Two electrically-operated valves are either open or closed based on driver throttle inputs and the selected mode of the Integrated Dynamics System

In Quiet mode, the exhaust valves are closed, and the exhaust gases are routed through silencers and out the two outboard exhaust pipes for a more subdued exhaust sound, allowing the driver to experience the intake soundtrack more clearly. Power and torque from the Sport Hybrid SH-AWD power unit is more than sufficient to effortlessly meet driver demands.

In Sport mode, the exhaust valves are initially closed. They will open depending on how aggressively the driver accelerates.

In Sport+ and Track modes, the exhaust valves are open, enabling maximum exhaust gas velocity out of all four exhaust pipes. This produces maximum engine performance and a full‑throated exhaust note.

The active exhaust valve system—together with the cabin sound modulation technologies of Active Sound Control and Intake Sound Control—serves to create a customizable auditory experience both in and outside of the NSX. From the hushed silence of Quiet mode to the full concerto of Track mode, the cabin fills with sounds every driving enthusiast loves to hear: the high‑performance "pop" from the exhaust when executing an upshift, the quick blip of the throttle upon downshifting and the occasional distinctive off-throttle burble that is a welcome reminder of the power and torque capability of the twin-turbocharged V6 engine."

In regards to the stop/start at stoplights and low speeds, I do not mind this system at all. It kicks in much smoother than any other vehicle I have been in thanks to the active engine mounts. Also, if you do not like this system you can switch the dynamic mode or you can push the drive button a second time to enter manual paddle shift mode. In manual mode the engine will never shut off even if you are in regular sport mode.

The ride is incredibly comfortable. My girlfriend has slept in the passenger seat for hours on some of the longer trips and she was plenty comfortable. That's saying a lot since the roads in Minnesota are definitely not the smoothest.
need to ask one more question any wind noise with the windows up or down? thank you.

Last edited:
Some cars have had an issue with the door seals that causes some wind noise. This can be fixed by replacing the door seals. I personally have had no problems in any of the 3 cars I have spent time in. With the windows down I have not experienced any bad buffeting but I don't typically drive over 45mph or so with the windows down.

Some cars have had an issue with the door seals that causes some wind noise. This can be fixed by replacing the door seals. I personally have had no problems in any of the 3 cars I have spent time in. With the windows down I have not experienced any bad buffeting but I don't typically drive over 45mph or so with the windows down.

how many nsx do you have?

My 2017 NSX had wind noise from both windows. The seals were replaced and the noise stayed the same.

AHM designed the NSX to always have the start/stop feature remain active in Quiet/Sport modes and prevent vehicle start-up in Sport+/Track mode due to EPA reasons. The EPA incentivizes car manufacturers to use start/stop technology because it improves gas mileage and reduces greenhouse emissions. Car manufacturers that employ non-latching start/stop features (reverts back to active upon vehicle start-up) qualify for additional emissions credits from the EPA, and those credits can be applied to meet their overall targets for Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards. The same reasoning holds true for preventing vehicle start-up in Sport+/Track modes.

I'm not saying that I agree with AHM's decision to do this, but there are valid reasons behind it. More and more car manufacturers are implementing non-latching start/stop.

Back