• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2021-22 rumors real?

Have only rough info on the following and wondered if someone here with better info could chime in. Here are several rumors I’m hearing:
- Drop in MSRP instead of incentive $129k (still makes it $70k more than a new C8 but keeps incentives from coming and going)
- Hardtop convertible option for next year
- No Type R for USA
- Projecting a 10 year run on the NC1 so there will be 6 more years of this model

Any truths here at all in this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have only rough info on the following and wondered if someone here with better info could chime in. Here are several rumors I’m hearing:
- Drop in MSRP instead of incentive $129k (still makes it $70k more than a new C8 but keeps incentives from coming and going)
- No Type R for USA
- Projecting a 10 year run on the NC1 so there will be 6 more years of this model

Any truths here at all in this.

The first, third and fourth bullets come from the local Acura GM. Can someone who works at a dealership here maybe confirm this.

The second bullet (hardtop) comes from one of the posts here

Would like to know if there is any substance to these claims. Thanks

I have to doubt the hardtop convertible. Given that the current car does not have removeable tops suggests to me that going to a full fledged convertible is just wishful thinking. Also given the low sales volume, why spend all the money to create a open bodied car? As for pricing, it depends on what Acura wants to do. Acura I am sure would prefer not having to provide large incentives for the car, but also does not want to set the price too low. Lets be honest. If tomorrow the car were priced at $120k how many of the current complainers would actually step up and make the purchase? I believe they would continue to whine and suggest that the car needs to be closer to the price of the Corvette. The premise that the C8 as a comparable car is erroneous. To all the complainers concerning the high cost of the NSX in relationship to the C8, there is an easy solution. Go buy the damn C8 and leave this forum. I am sure you will be welcomed at Corvette. Why constantly whine that the NSX needs to be reduced in price so that it is closer to the C8. That is just bullshit. I don't believe on the R8, Porsche 911, McLaren, Lambo, Pagani, or Ferrari forums people are demanding that the price be reduced. The whiners have been around since the NSX was first introduced in 1990/91. The truth is they don't have the money and don't want to admit it. Blaming the NSX for being out of your price range is a cheap shot. If you truly feel the C8 is the Cat's meow then go buy the damn thing and leave us alone!

Last edited:
you duth protest too much....:tongue:......I can see where you are coming from owning it and feeling the awesomeness ....:cool:

Sorry, I am not trying to be an asshole. So I apologize if I have offended anyone. Having said that, keep in mind that people have been complaining about the NSX since it was first introduced. I cannot tell you how many times I would hear people on this forum complain that the price of the car was too high for what the car represented. I would hear that it needed to be more like the Miata, or the Nissan Z, Corvette, or what ever car came to mind. For the most part and I could be wrong on this, I do believe the people who complained the most did not own the NSX. They just wanted to take advantage of the autonomy provided by the internet to voice an opinion that otherwise would be unnoteworthy. There are many things I cannot afford to purchase or should not purchase. I don't understand the need to denigrate something because I don't want it or cannot afford it. It just does not compute. There was someone who swore that the NC1 lacked the engine characteristics of the 911 GT3 and consequently saw it as a failure. By the way, he did not own either car. He was just providing us with his opinion. If as an owner, you are dissatisfied with the performance then all you have to do is pony up the money and someone out there will provide you with what you want. Look no further than SOS or some of the other great suppliers out there. With time, patience, and money there is not much one can not accomplish.

The doll I use is very heavy...but life like...and expensive......simple socio economics usually colors the posts on car forums....My point was as a fellow enthusiast just don't become what you despise on the forum...I do enjoy your recent positive flurry about your car ...keep it up!....thats what my doll keeps saying...but in the same monotone...

#4 is the only one that looks feasible.

We know there wont an NSX Type-R, but only by name. That still leaves GT3, Type-S, etc.

That seems awfully optimistic for a such a poor selling vehicle. Guess they can't lose anymore money on the project. They can simply add different colors and tweak things here/there each year to "freshen" it up. Yet, they will fail to address the elements that make the car undesirable to a number of potential buyers (ie. hybrid drivetrain setup, future drivetrain maintenance costs, interior quirks, etc).

An auto sales exec that is a friend of mine at Honda years ago compared the new NSX to the CR-Z. Both interesting cars but fell short due to their hybrid drivetrains. Recently, I saw a CR-Z on the road and again thought it was a pretty cool looking car. Had that car had the NA K20/24 engine it would have been an absolute hoot! Similarly, if the NSX had a straightforward TT V6 w/o hybrid components to cater to the greenies, it would have been gobbled up like no tomorrow. Oh well....

The NSX is an R&D platform and was not created to sell big numbers. Auto companies spend hundreds of millions on R&D. Acura chose to spend a chunk of it putting a car on the road and on the track, where it's had some success. No one in Japan is crying over sales numbers or it would have been killed already. Personally, I got exactly what I expected from this car and love tracking it so much I never take my P-cars to the track anymore.

Back to the OP, I have no facts, but here are my opinions:

---- I don't see this providing any value to Acura, so I expect to see the same incentives and MSRP. Vettes have always been a performance value leader. How come no one complains that a base F8 is $230k more than a loaded Hellcat? (I use an extreme example to make a point)

---- Also don't see the value to Acura here. It doesn't provide any future design value for other models or anything for the racing effort

- No Type R for USA
---- Not sure why they wouldn't do a Type R or withhold it from the US, but I would expect it to be body panels, a lower stance, with the same drivetrain

---- I believe that. They need to make parts to support warranty and repair anyway so why not build some and keep a few trickling into the market? They also need to keep the engine team going for the race teams and Cosworth might have a minimum contract to keep the blocks coming.

My 2 cents and worth what you paid for it.

PrimeMvr, I agree with your assessment. The other issue that people seem to complain about is the hybrid aspect of the car. That shows the lack of big picture understanding of what is happening in the automotive world as we speak. Porsche just introduced a 100% electric sports sedan. They have also designed their new 911 editions with hybrid technology on the way. Audi just recently introduced a couple of 100% electric cars and has let slip out that the R8 will be offered with a hybrid system. All cars will be going that route. Timing is what remains guarded. But it is coming. To complain about the hybrid aspect suggest you don't know much about the major trends in the industry. Volvo is committed to electrifying their entire fleet of cars within the next 5 years. Lexus and Toyota are going in the same direction. Ford will soon offer not only 100% electric cars but also hybrid trucks as well. We currently have the most sophisticated AFFORDABLE hybrid supercar made in the world! And all you want to do is complain that the fault lies with Honda/Acura not that you are insufficiently successful.

could the next iteration of NC1 be 100% Electric?

Well given the current car is 3800 lbs. does give you some opportunity to shift things around. You could end up with 4 electric motors and make the car really capable. The current Porsche Tycan has a range of about 200 miles. It is pretty damn fast. It is not cheap so before anyone gets excited about the car costing less forget about it. I must admit it is interesting in driving the current NC1 hybrid. I have found that depending on the road conditions I can travel a fair distance under all electric mode. I suspect that is just via the two electric motors in front? An all electric car could be very fast. If you are not a believer test drive a Tesla S model with the Ludicrous mode. The instant and continuous torque is almost frightening.

Well here is another inexpensive hybrid....

The rumor was right. Koenigsegg has just unveiled the Gemera, an all-new member to the family that sports four seats, two scissor doors, and a massively powerful hybrid powertrain that still allows for pure electric driving. As the brand's first four-seater, the Gemera marks the start of a new era for Koenigsegg. While others, even many of the world's top performance names, are making high-utility crossovers and SUVs, Koenigsegg has chosen to add function while maintaining the coolness factor of a coupe. A real coupe. Who cares if you have to cram into a rear seat when the cramming is achieved through a scissor door? With the Gemera, which has a shape inspired by an egg, Koenigsegg aimed to make a car with the personality of a mid-engined two-seater but the practicality of a road-trip vehicle. CEO Christian von Koenigsegg says he's been planning this car since 2003 and wanted to make sure every seat is equally as spacious and comfortable, unlike many 2+2s that only have two usable seats. The front seats are made from hollow carbon-fiber monocoques and weigh only 37.5 pounds. The slim design of the seats, which integrates the back into the bottom, and the nature of the scissor doors mean ingress and egress is simple and doesn't require moving the front seats. The rest of the interior is focused on luxury. The sideview mirrors have been replaced with cameras, seats are heated and cooled, the front and rear each both have large digital infotainment touchscreens to control entertainment and climate, each seat has a hot and a cold cup holder, and the audio system has 11 speakers. The clever design packaging allows all this, plus storage for four pieces of luggage, three in the rear and one up front.

The Gemera will coddle and comfort, but it will also thrill with its high-tech hybrid powertrain. Koenigsegg claims 1,700 bhp and 2,581 lb-ft of torque, and a zero-to-62-mph sprint in 1.9 seconds. This is accomplished with a combination of three electric motors, a twin-turbocharged 2.0-liter three-cylinder camless gas engine, and a direct-drive transmission. It also has all-wheel drive, all-wheel torque vectoring, and all-wheel steering.Two of those electric motors, each of which makes 500 bhp and 738 lb-ft of torque, are on the rear wheels. A third e-motor is attached to the engine crankshaft and makes 400 bhp and 369 lb-ft of torque. Simultaneously, these electric motors make 1,100 bhp. Working with the e-motor to propel the front wheels is what Koenigsegg calls the Tiny Friendly Giant (TFG) engine. It is rated at 600 bhp and 443 lb-ft of torque and uses the company's Freevalve technology. The Gemera, which uses carbon fiber for the chassis, body, and wheels, is built to be eco-conscious, as well.

An 800-V, 15-kWh battery allows up to approximately 31 miles of totally electric driving, and the car has an overall range of 621 miles. The Gemera is a flex-fuel vehicle, too, so it can run on Gen 2.0 ethanol or C02-neutral methanol. That means it could potentially be as C02-friendly as an electric vehicle, under certain circumstances.Koenigsegg is limiting Gemera production to 300 vehicles.

Last edited:
DrManny, you are not alone on all the things you have been posting about the NC1. I agree with you 100%.

Drop in MSRP? - Doubt it. Never seen Honda do that before on prices. Ever.
Hardtop? - Nope, no place to store the hardtop.
Type R? - If there is another version, it will have a special badge, a "limited" color, blacked out parts, new wheels and cost lots more.
Sell for another six years? - Honda is stubborn and cocky, of course they will.

Last edited:
Yet, they will fail to address the elements that make the car undesirable to a number of potential buyers (ie. hybrid drivetrain setup, future drivetrain maintenance costs, interior quirks, etc).

An auto sales exec that is a friend of mine at Honda years ago compared the new NSX to the CR-Z. Both interesting cars but fell short due to their hybrid drivetrains. Recently, I saw a CR-Z on the road and again thought it was a pretty cool looking car. Had that car had the NA K20/24 engine it would have been an absolute hoot! Similarly, if the NSX had a straightforward TT V6 w/o hybrid components to cater to the greenies, it would have been gobbled up like no tomorrow. Oh well....

I don't see what people's issues are with having a hybrid drivetrain. The NSX is not a hybrid for economy or "greeness". It's a hybrid for performance, and it accomplishes that with terrific acceleration, instantaneous torque, super-quick passing capability, and torque-vectoring for improved handling. Yes, the torque-vectoring and resulting AWD changes the feel of the car, but it makes for a better handling and more capable car.

Now, I won't deny that I'd like to have a mode where you can get a little bit of wheel-spin when taking off from a dead stop. I don't need to smoke the tires, but I'd love to get a little bit of a chirp here and there. Even if I'm put it in Track mode and just stomp on the gas from a dead stop (no launch control), I don't get any wheel-spin.

Oh, and as far as the interior styling goes, I think's it's fantastic. I'd still prefer a shift lever over transmission buttons, but that's not a deal breaker. Yes, the infotainment system is awfully slow, but again, it's not a deal breaker., especially with Apple CarPlay availability. I'm not driving this car for its infotainment system--heck I don't even listen to the stereo much at all.

Traction is good. Wheelspin makes the car slow. Big HP cars like the GT 350, Corvette, etc., can't put that big power to the ground, and their 0-60 times suffer. The GT 350 has 700+ HP but only 3.5 0-60. If you're Chris Harris, you can drift the car like crazy in track mode, but the fact that the car has no wheelspin under full acceleration is a testament to the success of the engineers to put power down and maximize traction.......

I don't see what people's issues are with having a hybrid drivetrain. The NSX is not a hybrid for economy or "greeness". It's a hybrid for performance, and it accomplishes that with terrific acceleration, instantaneous torque, super-quick passing capability, and torque-vectoring for improved handling. Yes, the torque-vectoring and resulting AWD changes the feel of the car, but it makes for a better handling and more capable car.

Now, I won't deny that I'd like to have a mode where you can get a little bit of wheel-spin when taking off from a dead stop. I don't need to smoke the tires, but I'd love to get a little bit of a chirp here and there. Even if I'm put it in Track mode and just stomp on the gas from a dead stop (no launch control), I don't get any wheel-spin.

Oh, and as far as the interior styling goes, I think's it's fantastic. I'd still prefer a shift lever over transmission buttons, but that's not a deal breaker. Yes, the infotainment system is awfully slow, but again, it's not a deal breaker., especially with Apple CarPlay availability. I'm not driving this car for its infotainment system--heck I don't even listen to the stereo much at all.

Many supercar buyers want something that sounds angry, the NSX is more of a friend to the driver

Starting 2019, with the new standard features, the car now rounds up to 3900 lbs. You can credit that to all that hybrid 3 motor setup. Acceleration is great but I know many sports cars that corner with more feel and driver engagement at a fraction of the cost of NSX. Weight kills all the fun. If all you want is raw speed and power, nsx us not it.

We know what nsx stands for. I just don't care for the their execution by compromising weight. For that some will not want NSX. And yes, the GT3 is a much funner car. Not as much tech but much more soul stirring.

Starting 2019, with the new standard features, the car now rounds up to 3900 lbs. You can credit that to all that hybrid 3 motor setup. Acceleration is great but I know many sports cars that corner with more feel and driver engagement at a fraction of the cost of NSX. Weight kills all the fun. If all you want is raw speed and power, nsx us not it.

We know what nsx stands for. I just don't care for the their execution by compromising weight. For that some will not want NSX. And yes, the GT3 is a much funner car. Not as much tech but much more soul stirring.

So why is a non-hybrid GTR 3,836 lbs? Or the 911 and r8's of the world 3,500 lbs or more? If you want a supercar with any kind of AWD and under $200,000 it is going to weigh 3,500lbs minimum. The only way to change that is to go with a carbon fiber chassis, but then costs go way up. The BMW i8 starts at $147,000 has a carbon fiber chassis and weighs 3,394 lbs but lacks in performance with only 394hp.

IMO, the weight argument that gets brought up repeatedly is completely silly. It does not drive like a heavy car at all, handles WAY better than a GTR. I'm convinced people just want everything to be 2,100lbs like their 1990 miata.

Also, the Polestar 1, another contender in the $150,000 high performance hybrid segment, weighs 5,170 lbs. LC500H clocks in around 4,300lbs.

Of the true contenders that exist in the $150,000 high performance hybrid segment of the market, the NSX is the best and it's not even close.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/acu...0h-vs-2020-polestar-1-hybrid-comparison-test/

Last edited:
Traction is good. Wheelspin makes the car slow. Big HP cars like the GT 350, Corvette, etc., can't put that big power to the ground, and their 0-60 times suffer. The GT 350 has 700+ HP but only 3.5 0-60. If you're Chris Harris, you can drift the car like crazy in track mode, but the fact that the car has no wheelspin under full acceleration is a testament to the success of the engineers to put power down and maximize traction.......

No arguing there. Traction is good and wheelspin makes the car slower during acceleration. However, sometimes I just want that little bit of fun and chirp the tires. It's just part of the experience that lets you know that you've got gobs of power. I guess it's the part of me that refuses to grow up.

Many supercar buyers want something that sounds angry, the NSX is more of a friend to the driver

It it is so funny you say that. I made my 2001 noisy by adding Comptech headers, supercharger, and an exhaust system. I then stiffened the car with sway bars and coil overs. I had a great car but it was somewhat exhausting to drive for an hour or so. I would get out of the car and feel good but not ready to jump back in. The NC1. Is so much faster and capable yet so much more comfortable. Just saying

Back