• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

270hp vs. 290hp - 5 speed vs. 6 speed - Coupe vs. Targa

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
I'm surprised you say this, since the NSX was almost the narrowest of the four late-model cars you mention owning at the time:

Haha! Well, now I now why the NSX and the C4S fit in my garage togeter and my MDX and the BMW don't!
wink.gif

Actually, what I meant to say is that the doors are wider on the NSX than on the BMW 740iL so when you are in a parking space, the NSX takes up a lot more space than just the few inches it would seem.
smile.gif

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III
2000 NSX-T #51 Yellow/Black

I think there also may be a need to open the doors on the NSX wider because it's so low to the ground. It's not like "stepping" into the car, it's more like "slinking" or "crawling", and that needs more lateral room.

Just guessing here...

Originally posted by G-man:

2) TRACKTIME
I found that from 2000-2001 I spend over 12 days and 2,000 miles on the race track, including 2 wonderful days at NSXPO in Atlanta. I found the NSX boring to drive, even driving FAST. The car is so smooth, and so stable, and so forgiving, it wasn't much fun on the track unless you were going all out at 140 mph. I know this sounds insane, but it was true. My Porsche C4S was 4 seconds a lap faster with better acceleration, better brakes and better overall track manners than the NSX. I just got bored with the NSX on the track.

I'm going to take issue with this comment. If you drive your NSX at the limit of adhesion, it's anything but boring. What you said sounds more like something a person who has never pushed a NSX would say. The Porsche has better brakes, yes, way better actually. But everything else would be very equally matched. I could be wrong since my NSX is pretty modified, but still I cannot believe any mid-engine car to be boring at the limit.

------------------
G Dummy~

if you think I'm selling my go-fast parts to go back to stock, you are way wrong my friend ;)

Originally posted by maomaonsx:

I'm going to take issue with this comment. If you drive your NSX at the limit of adhesion, it's anything but boring. What you said sounds more like something a person who has never pushed a NSX would say.

I am going to resist starting some kind of flame war over this and simply encourage you to re-read my post. What I said was that the car was so smooth and so forgiving and so easy to drive that it required driving the car a lot faster and a lot harder than the Porsche in order to get the same "fear factor".

35 years of refinement sure have helped the Porsche 911, but it is still a handfull to drive and it can jump up and bite you in the a$$ at any moment, even the all-wheel-drive C4S. But the reality of it all was that I could go faster, deeper into a turn brake later and turn faster lap times on longer tracks like VIR with the C4S than I could with the NSX and I can assure you that I was driving every bit of to the limit, just as any of the 119 NSX owners at Road Atlanta with me for NSXPO 2000.

One other limiting factor of the NSX vs. the C4S was the nature of "traction control". On the NSX it tends to retard throttle in order to keep the car under control. The C4S actually moves power around to all 4 wheels WITHOUT reducing throttle input until the ultimate limit of grip, that also allows for the C4S to turn consistently higher lap times on the track. Not much different on the road, but dial both up to 150 mph on a 4,000 ft. back straight and then toss it into an 85 mph left hander followed by a 60 mph right hander like at VIR and the difference will be VERY clear... even to you.
wink.gif

If you have never driven a bunch of other cars like the C4S in order to compare then you simply don't know what you are talking about and are getting your panties all up in a bunch over nothing. And let's not start WWIII over this, it is not worth it. The NSX is nice and modified NSXes are even nicer. But a stock 2000 NSX vs. a stock 1996 C4S is no contest on the race track.

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III

Originally posted by Andrie Hartanto:
I can turn the same lap time with 996 did in thunderhill. And he is a top runner in PCA or was it POC time trial in stock class. My NSX is the same stock as he is, with bolt on mods.

I can assure you that there is a WORLD of difference between a stock 996 and a stock 1996 C4S! The C4S is lighter and has TURBO BRAKE, TURBO SUSPENSION, Everything on the Turbo, but the Turbo. I could even out run the new 996s with my old 1975 Porsche 911S 2.7 liter. So, let's not compare apples to oranges.
wink.gif

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III

Gordon,

Since you are so hung up on the C4S, why aren't you simply buying another one instead of an NSX?
confused.gif

I'm not saying this to be sarcastic, it just seems like a rather obvious question - maybe you'd be better off with the car that you apparently think is superior.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Gordon,

Since you are so hung up on the C4S, why aren't you simply buying another one instead of an NSX?
confused.gif

Hahaha! I don't know how we got off on this thread, but if I were going to be spending a lot more time on the racetrack, then I would likely buy another C4S or the much more potent Twin Turbo Model. But I am not.

As per my initial posting, I miss my NSX because it was VERY comfortable, even on long trips, a joy to drive in almost all weather and as much fun to drive at 30 miles per hour as it is at 3x that speed. I am not breaking any land speed records getting to work and now in hind sight I find that I miss those calm cool days with the top out finding new and wonderful things to do to keep me from having to park the NSX at work.
smile.gif

As a daily driver, you can't beat the NSX. Even my M3 is not as much fun to drive on the street as my NSX was.
smile.gif
Well, heck, you guys know. Some of you ONLY HAVE ONE CAR! And it is an NSX!
wink.gif

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III

Originally posted by G-man:
I can assure you that there is a WORLD of difference between a stock 996 and a stock 1996 C4S! The C4S is lighter and has TURBO BRAKE, TURBO SUSPENSION, Everything on the Turbo, but the Turbo. I could even out run the new 996s with my old 1975 Porsche 911S 2.7 liter. So, let's not compare apples to oranges.
wink.gif

Actually, on the same time trial event. The 996 consistently outrun 993 C4S. Even outrun 993 C2S which is superior in tarmac, then the 4WD sibling.

Back