• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

3.0L models for 3-5k over kbb why?

Is it me or has the demand gone up on NSX's. I've been shopping around a bit to get a feel(as most for you know) and I've noticed that most nsx's tend to go for about 3 to 5k over kbb for the 3.0L models.

Now am I looking in the wrong places (local classifieds, ebay, autotrader) because this seems to be a trend. I mean a 91 with 35k miles on it, leather and the normal trim(5speed etc.) only kbb’s for private party at 19k and change….you cannot find this, you cant find one with 100k miles on it for 19k haha.

Although the price has gone down in the last couple of years(I’ve been told), I can’t help but wonder if there are any 3.0 cars in decent shape for less then 25.5. I’m still in the stage where I’m getting a feel but I was wondering if any of you had any thoughts on this..comments, confessions, enlightenments?

Hell, you can’t find a beet to crap nsx (or one with questionable miles etc.) for less then 20.

What the hell; is there a market trend on these cars during the summer? Do they follow a pattern for resale cost? Does anyone else find this wrong on any level? Comments and ideas lets hear them,

(believe it or not I’m in a good mood.. I’m into apple for 65 shares and they went up 85 cents today….crack open a cold one…daddy made 55 bucks doing nothing haha.)

But back on point. I was wondering, as members of this community, is this just something taken for granted?

-Nick

During my search..I found that sellers ALWAYS jack the price up quite a bit their asking price. But when I go and visit or talk to the seller (locally), they are usually open to negotiating the price a little bit....although most of them are SICK of the "dreamers/lookyloos" that offer them 10K LESS than asking price.

But, Im sure it has something to do with the season as well...Summer time, people want to go on vacations and are sometimes willing to "let it go" for less so they can get their cash.

IMHO

Mike

KBB isn't the holy grail of car pricing.

they're wrong on the older NSX pricing. They sell mid to high 20's and 30's still. there are other topics about this I believe.

and besides... you get what you pay for.

Yeah, KBB will do you little good with NSX shopping. It's quite rare to find a NSX priced at blue book.

There’s a difference between value and market demand. I was wondering if the price ever fluctuates toward KBB. Is it a recent fenom? Is it a trend? Do the cars hold resale like this all the time?

I purchased mine at the end of last year. From what I have noticed, there doesn't appear to be any fluctuation. This may vary by location though. It does seem to me that prices on early NSXs across the country have stabilized somewhat.

Specialty cars will draw based on demand not a book.
KBB is good for run of the mill everyday cars not specialty vehicles.
Although try to trade and NSX and, of course, you'll get book. :wink: :wink:

hmmm...makes me worry a bit.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/pricing.htm

This is the real deal. And from what I have found from asking the same types of questions, prices have never been lower than listed on the above link.
But some are priced much higher, and do not seem to ever sell.
Use this guide, it will save you a lot of time, and not waste the time of those selling the cars with silly tire kicking low ball offers.
Clean, never hit NSX's with less than 75k miles do not seem to sell for under 30k. Look very closely at the ones advertised under 30k.
Some say prices used to be lower, but those here in the know, state otherwise.
Also know, Its a large gap from a D-C to a B -A example, not so much price gap, but actual condition of the car. If you are going to mod the car and repaint
a high mileage car that's been repainted may be what your after. They can be found in the mid to high 20's. Salvage title cars seem to be in the high teens to mid 20's. (but be careful!) This is just my observation. If your looking for a nice 91-94 $30k-$35k seems to be the going rate.
(Also wanted to ask if you know what these cars sold for when new?)
I waited till mine depreciated almost $40k from its window sticker. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Nick, I too was under the illusion an NSX could be had for KBB value several months back. And only after months of searching did I realize this was nothing but a pipe dream. It seemed all the decent 3.0 's were in the high 20's to mid 30's. And who knows,these cars could be the next generation Hemi cars as far as value is concerned. Lets all hope so... :smile:

I searched for a 91 for just about a year before I found one in good enough condition to purchase. This one was the 4th one I looked @ in that time period. 1st one, salvage.......liar. 2nd one, salvage again, son of a beech. 3rd one was in Milwaukee, odometer fraud. I had nearly given up due to the frustration, but low and behold, I found the one. You may have to look long and hard before finding one worth purchasing. It's just the nature of the beast in the type of cars we drive. A lot of people run the crap out of these things. Maybe that's why the good ones are worth more than they book for.

RP Motorsports,

you bought the car with 105k miles?

How many miles do you have on it now? and its a track car?

wow, just goes to show how enduring the NSX really is

archangel0585 said:
3.0L models for 3-5k over kbb why?

Hi Nick --- The real "why" question is "why" are you using kbb? It is useless for specialty cars like the NSX. Ignore it. The market price is what you are seeing.

Good luck w/ your search.

While it is clear that KBB and other guides that use standardized depreciation formulas are far too low as to market pricing the early NSX, this is not necessarily true of the later NSX.

I have seen indication that some of the guide prices on the recent cars, particularly the 2002+ cars may be above market. This may reflect the fact that the actual selling prices of these cars was often below the $89k MSRP such that when the guide applies the standardized formula to the NSX MSRP they end up above market value for the later cars because the starting price was too high. At some point the two curves should cross, and the guide value will become lower than market, as I believe their formula uses too much depreciation for a given year as the cars get older.

The more rare a car is the harder it is to put a realistic value on it. There are people who want an NSX so badly that they will buy anything as long as they get it at a low price. Then the others are willing/able to pay whatever it takes to get the "perfect" car for them. I searched on and off for about two years before I found the 1991 that I bought. The car is in terrific condition with 76K and I paid $25K for it. Granted I had expenses of going to get it but just being able to drive it back was worth that. The next week there was an identical NSX advertised in the local paper for $23K. The ad got the best of me so I called to get more info. Although the car had a salvaged title and the A/C compressor was bad the car still sold for asking price! I felt much better about the deal that I had just made. Patience and diligence are the keys to getting a good deal on any car and perhaps even more so with a car of this type. The area you live will also dictate pricing. Kansas City rarely sees a nice NSX so the value here might be a little higher than in other place where they are more plentiful. Just my $.02.

Early model NSXs in superb condition are very hard to come by. I bought my '91 silver/black w/10K on the clock for $40K in 1997. It wasn't in the snap ring range and was practically a brand new car. After nearly eight years, it's in superb condition with not a single visit to the body shop. Just last year, I had offers on my car (50K miles now) anywhere from $37K-$38K. Not bad after eight years! I turned them down since I'm not selling the car. Apparently, these people know what they're looking for and making an offer accordingly. I'm sure the silver color may hold a premium since only 400+ cars were only produced.

Well I look at it like this now. With the rate the search is going... I'll be able to pay cash by the time the time comes.

Special tabs to MCM for giving the link to the prime price guide. This makes allot more sense to the market I've been seeing.

So now...we wait haha.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Glad to help.
Another note, while there is no real "urgency"
The fact that there will be no more produced after this
Summer & prices have never been lower, was enough to get a crusty 43 yr old car guy get off his ass and start a commando search. Looked at hundreds of adds, Ran 40 carfax's & drove the best 8 cars I could find. Ended up with the 94 below. I have found most car folks are not aware mint examples can be found in the low to mid 30's. The way I see it, its one of the best kept secrets in the collector/drivers car world. Personally, the coupes with the "little black tops" while less expensive due to age are actually the ones that could be the most sought after. Just a hunch. :smile:

P4100047a.jpg

This is the same deal with the 90s Toyota MR2s. It's pretty rare that they are listed for around kbb value. 93+, especially turbo, can go for twice the kbb value. sometimes you can get lucky and find a seller that isn't aware of the real market value, and that's when you strike a golden deal.

I've found a handful of 92's but they have painted roofs, are these all repaints, what's the deal with the black roof/painted roofs? I know this may be a dumb question but I really don’t know. Did all the 3.0’s have black roofs?

I bought mine 1992 with 43k miles two months ago at an Acura dealer for $32k. It is in the snap range, paint still shine, clutch replaced at 30k mile, car comes with Comptech exhaust, two sets of wheels (chrome 7 spoke and the OZ 3pcs) and the dealer installed a set of brand new Bridgestone RE010 tires. Was it a good deal? Some say yes and some say no.

Sometimes KBB doesn't reflect the actual value on some sport cars. For example, look at a 94 Toyota Supra Turbo. I bet you anything that you won't find a nice one for less than $35k which cost $42k when it was new. Another example is I traded my 90 BMW M3 (E30 with 43k miles) in 1993 for a new 325is and the dealer gave me $18.5k according to KBB. Nowadays, if you can find an E30 M3 with less than 75k miles in good running condition, you are expecting to pay close to $20k which KBB suggests $8650 private party value.

archangel0585 said:
Did all the 3.0’s have black roofs?
Not exactly. In North America, all fixed roof NSXs with the exception of the limited edition 1999 Zanardi Editions and some 1994 Brooklands Green Pearls came with a black canopy. All removable roof NSX-Ts have a body-colored canopy.

wait though, so any car from 91-94 should have a black roof, 95 was the first year for the targa right?

Back