• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

3.8 litre monster @ Science of Speed

I had the NA 2 kit, headers, new clutch, new tires put in at Science of Speed and the car sounds and has quite a bit more horsepower. The go fast crack pipe hit hard this time.

The local crack dealers (SOS) "just happened" to show me a 3.8 litre NSX with approximately 60k worth of goodies that was recently completed. Well I got a ride in this monster and Chris slyly mentions I am half way to the 3.8 litre kit because I just did the NA 2 kit and a mere 10-15k more and I too can have the ultimate NA NSX. I could not downplay my excitement for the 3.8 litre kit and hope 2006 is a good year financially for me to get this "must have" stroker package from Science of Speed.

Trust me NSXers if you want low end power that is there when you need it get this.

PS Chris you can give me a free one for this testimonial. :biggrin:

Did he tell you how much power the 3.8L gives out. Sure beat the 3.5L JGTC ones.

I thought the 3.8 puts out 360HP at the crank. Almost 100HP more than the 3.0 NSX.

Isn't that waaayyy too expensive for 600 or 800 more cc's?

Does this 3.8 kit use ITB?

Heard talk about a ITB giving 50 hp to a mildly > heavy tuned NA NSX...

NetViper said:
I thought the 3.8 puts out 360HP at the crank. Almost 100HP more than the 3.0 NSX.
I think that was their 3.3L, they had a thread a while back with the topic of 100 whp NA tuned, but it had their individual throttle body, which I don't think it is street legal. I think the 3.8L will have much more power, probably closer to 400+ whp with all the added goodies.

Last edited:
blackcat said:
...Well I got a ride in this monster and Chris slyly mentions I am half way to the 3.8 litre kit because I just did the NA 2 kit and a mere 10-15k more and I too can have the ultimate NA NSX.

As you're one of the few persons who drove the monster please tell us more about it! :D We're not pleased with only reading that you're excited! :) What is the rev limit of the stroker kit regarding reliability? How is torque (not hp) delivered? Traction problems? :)

Tell us more!

My garage and Honda engine tuner has an old NSX engine in stock, so... :)

dave22 said:
You don't have to have both. They're two different products.

Yeah I know that it's two different products. Just wondering what a ITB would do with this 3.8l NSX :) The result could be extreme :)

Made in the USA said:
I think that was their 3.3L, they had a thread a while back with the topic of 100 whp NA tuned, but it that it had their individual throttle body, which I don't think it is street legal. I think the 3.8L will have much more power, probably closer to 400+ whp.

I recall that, but I still think the 3.8 is 360HP. It gives you CTSC like power from a NA car. I bet it is awesome to drive. Is it worth the 15k? That's for the buyer to decide.

Made in the USA said:
I think that was their 3.3L, they had a thread a while back with the topic of 100 whp NA tuned, but it had their individual throttle body, which I don't think it is street legal. I think the 3.8L will have much more power, probably closer to 400+ whp with all the added goodies.
oh my god!!!

400+whp? :eek:

my friend's 2001 Mustang had 3.8L V6 too!!! with 190hp or something. :biggrin:

The 3.8L motor was designed by Jon Martin at Cerritos Acura with the help of AEM. Jon then gave the package to SOS to sell to everyone. The 3.8L was meant to be designed to be run just like a normal Honda Motor and the ability to pass smog based on how you tune the motor. It will be pushing close to 395-400hp at the crank and reliable. Now remember you will need the AEM EMS and a few other items to realize the full potential of this motor. The motor is a great package and yes its worth the money. There are a handful of guys getting the 3.8L motor done here in So.Cali besides Jon himself. So I can't wait to ride it in myself. Much thanks to Jon Martin and AEM for putting together something such as this for us fellow nsxers. Also thanks to SOS for keeping Jons work going by selling the motor.

spyderplayer2002 said:
Does the new motor require a lower redline bacause of the extra moving weight?

That was my question too. But the SOS site states that the total weight PER PISTON is reduced by nearly 100 gramms.
My concern was about piston speed: OEM is 20.8 m/s, with 88 mm it's 23.5. The S2000 has 25.2. If you like to have 20.8 m/s with 88 mm the revs should be limited to 7100 rpm.

blackcat said:
I had the NA 2 kit, headers, new clutch, new tires put in at Science of Speed and the car sounds and has quite a bit more horsepower. The go fast crack pipe hit hard this time.

The local crack dealers (SOS) "just happened" to show me a 3.8 litre NSX with approximately 60k worth of goodies that was recently completed. Well I got a ride in this monster and Chris slyly mentions I am half way to the 3.8 litre kit because I just did the NA 2 kit and a mere 10-15k more and I too can have the ultimate NA NSX. I could not downplay my excitement for the 3.8 litre kit and hope 2006 is a good year financially for me to get this "must have" stroker package from Science of Speed.

Trust me NSXers if you want low end power that is there when you need it get this.

Brian,
When you came back on the test drive, when your NA2 kit was completed, you face was lit up like a christmas tree. Your NSX with the stage 2 kit sounds amazing. We're glad you like it.
Joe

holy crap!!! :D

if its reliable and has a 8k redline I want one!!!!

could you put a CTSC on it too?!?!?!? :D

brian,

i'm patiently awaiting my turn in your newly improved ride.
But that aside, how is the NA2 tune "halfway" to the big package? It's roughly $3k, right? and the big daddy is $15k? Better crack that wallet open with a crowbar..

blackcat said:

I guess you got a ride in my NSX before I did....how dare you!!! :) j/k. Well, I will be taking delivery of my car soon and I am very excited. From your testimony it sounds like quite the beast, as you've called it.....I'll let you know my thoughts after my test drive...Here are some pics Chris took of the finished car.

Attachments

• DSC05781.jpg
    DSC05781.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 941
  • DSC07029.JPG
    DSC07029.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,170
  • DSC07141.jpg
    DSC07141.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,242
  • DSC07166.JPG
    DSC07166.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 1,250
  • DSC07168.JPG
    DSC07168.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 833
Edmo7 said:
I guess you got a ride in my NSX before I did....how dare you!!! :) j/k. Well, I will be taking delivery of my car soon and I am very excited. From your testimony it sounds like quite the beast, as you've called it.....I'll let you know my thoughts after my test drive...Here are some pics Chris took of the finished car.

I'm dumb....what are those things that say "motion" on them on the sway bar??

Nice <B>blackcat</B>, so your nsx is no longer a purring little kitten? When you put your foot down, do you go "all in"? :D

I still have the brochure from NSXPO on SOS's engine stroker package:

<B>3.8L (3743cc)
bore: 95mm
stroke: 88mm
compression ratio: 10.5:1 (street/track application)
estimated power (peak) 360bhp
stroker package price: $6235.00</B>
(balanced pistons, crankshaft, bushed rods only, does not include block sleeving or assembly costs. prices subject to change)

More details go to www.scienceofspeed.com and mention blackcat's thread ;) :D

Back