• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

300ZX vs. RX-7

Did a little searching but didn't find comparo...

So it's time to sell the NSX, much to my chagrin. Baby on the way, can use the money to spoil the kid rotten! (Buy my car... it's in the for sale forums)

Thinking about a 1994-ish 300ZX TT or RX-7 turbo for a toy. Both can be had for the 10-12k range but I don't know much about how they would compare.

How is the reliability on each? How about performance? Which is cheaper to fix/ fix up?

If you were looking at one that needed a little work, which would be the better choice? What if it would be in good condition?

Any input would be appreciated and fun. Besides the NSX, these two have always piqued my interest and could hold me over until I can get another X in the future!

Thanks,
Rob

The RX-7's rotary engine is not very reliable. I've read that the maximum life of the engine is around 80k miles. After 80k miles, most RX-7s need to be overhauled. I've test driven a few RX-7s and I really like them. They are very fun to drive and look very good, but the reliability issues turned me away from them.

I don't really like the way the 300ZXs look from the inside and outside, but I've read that they're pretty reliable and have decent power stock. It really depends on what you value the most out of the car. For looks and something fun to drive, I would pick the RX-7. For reliability, I would pick the 300ZX.

The RX-7 is a better sports car when it is running.

I would suggest looking into a 240SX with a SR20, you can buy a really sweet one for 8k or 9k.

The RX-7's rotary engine is not very reliable. I've read that the maximum life of the engine is around 80k miles. After 80k miles, most RX-7s need to be overhauled. I've test driven a few RX-7s and I really like them. They are very fun to drive and look very good, but the reliability issues turned me away from them.

I don't really like the way the 300ZXs look from the inside and outside, but I've read that they're pretty reliable and have decent power stock. It really depends on what you value the most out of the car. For looks and something fun to drive, I would pick the RX-7. For reliability, I would pick the 300ZX.

I think they are both great looking cars. Hearing that about the RX-7 is definatley a turn off. I don't want to have to deal with rebuilds if I can avoid it.

I've never been that big a fan of the 240. I really think the 300 is great looking, as is the -7. I'd probably stay with either of the two, and looking at the first reply, probably the 300.

Thanks for the replies:smile: ,

Anyone else?

Keep the NSX. I bought mine shortly after my first child was born, and now I've got two. They love riding in it (not at the same time), although they always try to get me in trouble: "Go faster, daddy!"

And my kids are about as spoiled rotten as they come :).

Did a little searching but didn't find comparo..

Come on over to the dark side www.rx7club.com :eek:

Here is a comparison of what you have going to a 3rd Gen Rx: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45175

With the FD the entry price is cheap. Great car and FAST you can put 275s all the way around with a nice handling 50/50 balance. And after you get the hang of changing out motors and having your tuner & rebuilder on a first name, speed dial basis you'll see how cheap an NSX is :rolleyes:

300zx is a pig with weird handling.

FYI: I love the FD but if you have a well maintained NSX KEEP IT :biggrin:

most of the engine issues from the RX7 is from people not modding them right (tuning, upgrading injs/fuel pump, etc. for more boost).

Another large contributor to engines blowing up is the turbo waste gates not being ported - boost creep.

Stock boost is 10psi. WIth boost creep it can hit 15psi. The extra 5psi on factory A/F ratios is too lean.

Remember, the FD and Supra are both sequential turbos. 300ZX and 3000GTs are NOT.

That means that you will have to buy 2 of everything if u start to modifying (2 BOV, intercoolers, turbos, etc....)

I've had both.

300ZX is without a doubt more reliable. They are easier to work on, and there is a WEALTH of information available over at twinturbo.net. Z's are also more readily available and cheaper.

The aftermarket following for the Z is almost unparalleled. I can't think of a true performance car that has more aftermarket parts available. The Z is easy to mod, and the modifications are relatively cheap. It is capable of 400whp on the stock turbos.

Unless you know how to work on a rotary engine, forget about finding a mechanic. Even the Mazda dealerships weren't trained sufficiently on how to work on an RX-7.

Whoever said the Z is a pig forgot to mention that the RX-7 is so light that it feels unstable at high speeds and that the doors feel and sound like tin cans.

The stereo and overall handling of the RX-7 are superior to the 300ZX in stock form. I like the way the RX-7 looks better and I like its rarity.

P.S. Most of the engine failures in the RX-7 are caused by the apex seals blowing. This is simply because the stock engine isn't made for much higher than stock power levels.

Flame away batman. :biggrin:

Obviously some highly biased opinions here.. just a tad bit toward the FD. Not unusual for FD owners to be a little defensive though..

300zx's are excellent sport scars. They handle very well actually, and are significantly more reliable than FD's. Check out how many 300zx's nissan sold. Let me give you a clue, it's more than NSX's, FD's, and Supra's put together and then some. There are often more reliable considering doing the right mods on FD's, much less the worst case scenario.

300zx's aren't any heavier than Supras and are more aerodynamic. N/A hard top 300zx's are almost the exact same weight as NSX's. So a turbo NSX and a turbo 300zx probably are within 100lbs of each other. They have 300hp stock and great torque. I also think that they are great looking cars, but that's JMO.

The VG motor produces the most torque per horsepower of ANY Japanese sportscar EVER made. No discussion there. Check out some dynoes. Mine made 450wtq and 405whp with about 3 grand in mods, and most importantly, it's just as reliable as stock IMO. The stock engine can take 600whp fairly reliably if tuned correctly. The LSD [on all 300zx's, n/a and turbo] is built rock solid, the engine is rock solid, and the 94+ 300zx's transmissions are very rock solid.

The FD is a great car as well, I know tons about them. But I strongly suggest you checking out the 300zx as well. It's abnormal if a well-maintained 300zx, turbo or not, doesn't reach 200k miles on the stock engine/transmission. Obviously modded ones won't always fit that criteria.

Stock turbos/injectors usually last about 120k miles. The injectors on the 94+ models are a different variant and last even longer.

I know an ungodly amount about the 300zx. On zcar.com I have well over 6,500 technical posts. If you want an opinion on any cars you have in mind, please let me know. The most important thing you need to know is the 60k maint., the z is hard to work on [supposedly, the first car I ever dug into was a 300zx and I still don't think it's much worse than other cars, just more crampt]. A 60k maint. and 120k maint. are absolutely crucial [same deal with NSX engine actually].

The issue of 'buying everything twice' is rather minute IMO. I prefer non-sequential turbos myself actually. I think the best mod you can do to a FD is single turboing it for many reasons, which give you the same feel as the 300zx turbo.

One important note, neither car is going to be cheap to maintain, know that going in or you might not enjoy the experience much.

:wink: :biggrin:

rotary-communism.jpg

Go with the Z in a heart beat simply one of the most beautiful cars ever built. Stock RX7's have problems. What's interesting to note is that The 300ZX TT beat the RX7 in just about every magazine comparison test with the exception of two Motorweek issues. Also note that none of the other Japanese supercars won as many awards and only the NSX has garnered more praise. The Z was/is athletisism with grace and poise. True it was heavier than the RX7 ,but "carried it's weight like an athlete" C&D quote

I've had two TT's and loved to just stare at them:biggrin:

Go with the Z in a heart beat simply one of the most beautiful cars ever built. Stock RX7's have problems. What's interesting to note is that The 300ZX TT beat the RX7 in just about every magazine comparison test with the exception of two Motorweek issues. Also note that none of the other Japanese supercars won as many awards and only the NSX has garnered more praise. The Z was/is athletisism with grace and poise. True it was heavier than the RX7 ,but "carried it's weight like an athlete" C&D quote

I've had two TT's and loved to just stare at them:biggrin:

You Texas boys sure love your Z's.

z.jpg
:biggrin:

I agree with wingz. The 300z is such a beautiful car. Way ahead of their time when they first came out. Even now, they still look great.

I owned a couple of them, and i actually favored the 2+2 more then the 2 seater, even though the twin turbo only came in 2 seater. Fun cars to drive and admire.

sidecopy.jpg

new.jpg

Damn, he's alread got the Volk RE30s :mad:

But he is in Japan

IMG_5742Medium.jpg

Nice pics Jeff.

My buddy has a 93 with over 20k in the engine alone. It'll run 9.5's with street slicks. Very impressive car. I admit they are very beautiful cars, but I'm not sure I'm in a position to delve into the rotary world.

We'll see. Still haven't sold the NSX yet! My wife thinks I'm crazy... looking to buy the next car before the first is sold. Oh well, I don't mind!

How much is lost with an NA 300ZX compared to the TT? Is the TT a MUST HAVE for Z's? I like the idea of 2+2 with the kid on the way, but the allure of the TT is strong.

What do you think?

Selling the NSX for a fixer upper wont save you much money in the long run and will just annoy you to heck with all the little things.

If anything go for the Z. Stay away from the Financial Disaster (FD).

How much is lost with an NA 300ZX compared to the TT? Is the TT a MUST HAVE for Z's? I like the idea of 2+2 with the kid on the way, but the allure of the TT is strong.

What do you think?

The n/a certainly isn't 'underpowered'. In 1989 when it came out, 222hp with respectable torque from a 3.0ltr engine was impressive. The gear box is still great and the n/a engine is even more durable than the TT since it's under less stress [but of course higher compression].

Obviously the car is still going to handle and look great. I think NSX owners are some of the few of the Japanese sportscar world that would still enjoy a n/a z32 coming from a more powerful car. If you can find a hard top, even better.

I still find it entertaining regarding the knocking on the z's handling, it is right at a stock FD's handling and IMO is easier to control. A good friend of mine had a 94 hard top n/a with a huge set of wide 18's, it was easily one of the best handling cars I've ever driven. Besides the wheels/tires, it had some camber adjustments otherwise it was basically stock with about 55k [and 11 years] on the stock suspension. 94+ z's hold their value very well as well, they are by far the best power->reliability->uniqueness Japanese sportscar buy on the market, just at a lower price range than the NSX.

I'd Say go with a 300zx...if your lucky maybe you can find a SMZ one for the right price if your selling the nsx....but why not a supra?

You Texas boys sure love your Z's.

z.jpg

Dang! makes my mouth water!

Crap now I'm looking for used Z's on autotrader and ebay again. You guys suck..LOL

I had a 90 twin turbo for 2 years. Added a whole bunch of mods and was putting down 425rwhp. Those cars are heavy, but with all that power on tap it felt feather light. I sure miss the torque at 3,000 when the boost came on hard. If I could drop that motor in my NSX I would be very, very happy. Very solid car from the motor all the way to the axles.

Who ever said the car was easy to work on was confused. They are terrible to work on. You cannot see the floor when you open the hood. Drop a tool and it is gone. Hell, can't even see the turbos unless you are underneath with a flashlight. Parts are dirt cheap compared to the NSX also.

Never owned an RX-7, but would love to if it had an LS1 swap.

Good luck!!

DSCN6350.JPG

dscn7091.jpg

I'd Say go with a 300zx...if your lucky maybe you can find a SMZ one for the right price if your selling the nsx....but why not a supra?

probably because a supra costs more than an NSX in many cases.
As a former 300zxtt owner, I also vote for the 300ZXTT, though I did
start having some expensive problems once I hit over 100K miles (stock engine - engine rebuild due to main bearing, heater core requiring removal of the entire dash). once i had the rebuild done i also bumped it up over 400hp with some jim wolf and stillen goodies.

The FD.... I'm sorry... I simply find it to be an incredibly ugly car, I can't see how people go on and on about how beautiful it is. I just don't see it. I have no question about its performance and handling, but I can't look at it.

Back