• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

32 Hours 7 Minutes, Finally off to Sundance!

I don't know how many of you guys have been following the developments of this movie but i've been anxiously awaiting its release for over 5 years now.

It is about the original U.S. Express (read REAL gumball) back in the 70's and the record set for a cross country drive. Some of the stories are insane, doing the runs in ambulances to throw off the cops, stories of literally mounting nightvision to their heads to drive without lights (this was in the 70's), all sorts of whacky stuff.

I find it all fascinating! ANd apparently they sent it off to Sundance this week so I can only hope that it will be released soon!

Heres a movie trailer (about 4 years old of some of the interviews):
YouTube - 32 Hours 7 Minutes: Trailer #1

Heres one story regarding the shambulance run:

USExpressYatesAmbulance.jpg

Brock Yates and Hal Needham, accompanied by Brock’s wife, Pamela, and a doctor friend named Lyle Royer, ran the 1979 Cannonball in an ambulance. Yes. It’s true. Their souped-up Dodge “TransCon Medivac” carried a modified 440 Chrysler Magnum, high-speed shocks and sway bars, a 60 gallon fuel tank, and a whole crap-load of flashing lights, medical gear, stickers, uniforms, etc.

Ripping along at 125 mph, lights blazing, they were ordered to halt by a New Jersey State Trooper. When asked where they were headed, Yates replied, calmly, “California.” Sensing a ruse, the cop ordered the back opened, where Pamela was lying, covered, on a gurney, an oxygen mask over her face, with Royer tending closely to her. When asked why she couldn’t be flown to California, Royer responded that she had a rare lung disease that prevented her from flying due to pressure issues, but needed to be taken to UCLA Med promptly. Foiled, the cop let them go.

Well played.

USExpressAmbulance1.jpg

NIGHT VISION!!!

night%20vision%20goggles%20(4-ball%20rally).png

So anyone else excited to see this?!

I loved Brock Yates' Cannonball

so I can't wait to see this!

Hellz yes! If you enjoyed Cannonball!, then consider checking out the book "The Driver" by Alex Roy. It is a little cheeseball, but I enjoyed the read.

I met Alex at the Starbucks during last years SEMA show in Las Vegas, he is a really nice (even if a bit odd) guy.

Alex is executive producer for this movie, as well as the current coast-to-coast record holder with a time of 31 hours 4 minutes. the current record run is documented in the film, along with discussions, and historical footage from the runs in the late 70's early 80's.

good stuff. I look forward to adding this DVD to my collection.

Philip

Back