• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

3M Clear Bra

Hi everyone,

I noticed a few threads about the 3M clear bra, but I was wondering how long it is safe to keep the clear bra on, without damaging the paint? Is this something you replace once a year? Or every so often?

Thanks for your input...=)

Levi

NSXin702 said:
Hi everyone,

I noticed a few threads about the 3M clear bra, but I was wondering how long it is safe to keep the clear bra on, without damaging the paint? Is this something you replace once a year? Or every so often?

Thanks for your input...=)

Levi

I dont know of anyone who replaces it over time.... the only time it gets replaced is if its damaged. I recommend doing the whole front as opposed to just part of the nose for obvious reasons.

Thanks Acura NsX Pilot, after I posted, I found a few more threads about clear bras and agree, doesn't seem like something people change on a regular basis. I tried to find photos of NSX's with clear bras, just to see what it looks like, do you happen to have any? Or are they so discreet, you can't tell through photos?

Levi

NSXin702 said:
Thanks Acura NsX Pilot, after I posted, I found a few more threads about clear bras and agree, doesn't seem like something people change on a regular basis. I tried to find photos of NSX's with clear bras, just to see what it looks like, do you happen to have any? Or are they so discreet, you can't tell through photos?

Levi

Some people only do the front half of the car which is like half way up on the hood. You can see the edge of the Clear Bra if you look hard enough.... it is more apparent on light colored cars because usually dirt collects at the seam. This is why I say if your going to do it spend alittle extra and get the whole front done. I do not know which brand does this but some of then tend to yellow over time... like I said this is most apparent on light colored cars like white n silver. I have seen photos of this but you will have to search to find them.

Bailey

Acura NsX Pilot said:
Some people only do the front half of the car which is like half way up on the hood. You can see the edge of the Clear Bra if you look hard enough.... it is more apparent on light colored cars because usually dirt collects at the seam. This is why I say if your going to do it spend alittle extra and get the whole front done. I do not know which brand does this but some of then tend to yellow over time... like I said this is most apparent on light colored cars like white n silver. I have seen photos of this but you will have to search to find them.

Bailey

Thanks Bailey,

I just found a silver one with a clear bra, can't even tell in the photo. I was concerned you would lose the shine in the paint, but that silver one was shining away. I think I'll take your advice and do the whole front end. I like to take a lot of road trips from Las Vegas to L.A., and I'd hate to get chips in the paint, especially since there are no chips at this point...

Thanks again Bailey...

Levi

white93nsx said:
Here are some pics of an NSX with 3M film:

http://www.detailingdynamics.com/filmasian.html

Here is a presentation Powerpoint or Video from NSXPO 2004 that you can download (if you download the video, it's very large):

http://www.detailingdynamics.com/nsxpo2004.html

Thanks white93nsx, you rock. Those are amazing photos. Can't even tell those cars have a clear bra once they're finished. Too bad those guys are in New York. Hopefully I can find someone as good here in Las Vegas.

Levi

white93nsx said:
You're welcome Levi.

Learn as much as you can and check out the shop's work to help you select a place.

Learn more here:
http://www.detailingdynamics.com/film.html

Here is the paint preparation photos:
http://www.detailingdynamics.com/filmporsche.html

Here are some things to expect and what not to do to the film after install:
http://www.detailingdynamics.com/Images/film/FilmCareSheet.pdf

Thanks Mike, you totally rock. This should help me find a good place.

I didn't realize all the necessary steps in caring for the film. You know, it's a bit funny, here I am trying to find a way to take good care of my NSX with a clear bra, and now I have a set of instructions on how to take care of the clear bra, which is meant to take care of the NSX. Reminds me of a childrens tale about a cat that ate a mouse that ate a fly, or something like that...=)

Levi

I too, am debating whether i want to do a clear bra. I was wondering if the bra ever pits from rocks/road deris hitting it. That was the only thing holding me back from getting it. If indeed it leave pits, it's probably worth it to just get the bumper repainted again instead of getting the bra. Comments are much appreciated?

project13nsx said:
I too, am debating whether i want to do a clear bra. I was wondering if the bra ever pits from rocks/road deris hitting it. That was the only thing holding me back from getting it. If indeed it leave pits, it's probably worth it to just get the bumper repainted again instead of getting the bra. Comments are much appreciated?

Yes it gets pits when rocks hit it but the lite stuff like sand will leave nothing. and if you have good paint with a good match I dont know why you wouldnt just rather change out the clear bra piece and be done then to risk getting a bad color match not to mention the fact that there maybe overspray from the paint. Just my opinion.

Here are a couple of things to note:
1) If you choose 3M's paint protection film, it has a clear coat just like your paint so when you get a scratch or rock hits on it, you can polish it out. You don't get chips on the film since it is pretty resilent. There is also a 5 year warranty on the film from defect if you get it installed by an authorized 3M installer (doesn't cover normal wear and tear from rock, crashes, etc... you get the point).
2) After 5 years or whenever the film get's beat up to the point you can't stand the looks of it, you can remove it and have it reapplied. If you have or know of anyone with a Porsche 911, they've been installing them in multiple impact areas for many years and you hardly notice it's there even after many years of wear and tear.
3) If you get you original paint resprayed and comes time to resell the car, people will notice a respray and you can't prove to them that you were never in an accident. The buyer will always have a doubt in their mind and your resell price may suffer from it.
4) Quality of the paint job- color (as mentioned), masking, prepping, finishing, etc... Most paint jobs I've seen are never to my liking and almost always never come out as good as the OEM paint job (there are exceptions) and you do get what you pay for. Not to mention the inconvenience and time involved to respray.

I've had a 3M Clear bra on since July.... Really like it,.bug hits just wipe off:tongue: and yes you can see it, but you have to look hard. Here are a couple of pics....:biggrin:

m_69793740.jpg

m_71263975.jpg

Regards,

Back