• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

4 03's on Ebay at dealerships for around trade-in pric....think they have a problem??

#1) 03 Buy it now on Ebay of $68,500

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=5337&item=2493156742&rd=1

same car on Auto Trader but $70,500 here

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...dvanced=n&start_year=2003&color=&cardist=1047

This car has never been titled. Person selling me said it was driven by owner of Acura dealership and sold to him a month ago. He never titled it because he has dealer tags........sounds suspicious to me. I definitely am NOT purchasing this one because the situation sounds too shady to me.

#2) 03 Buy it Now on Ebay of $65,500

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=5337&item=2493556269&rd=1

Not listed anywhere else. Originally purchased in Ohio on 2/18/04, regestered in NY a few weeks later and now at a dealership. Not listed anywhere else.

#3) 03 Buy it Now on Ebay of $66,900

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=5337&item=2493501268&rd=1

Also listed at Auto Trader for $76,900

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...advanced=n&start_year=2003&color=&cardist=969

Carfax says it was originally purchased in NY date unknown and is now in Dallas, Texas at a dealership. Dealer told me that he did a car swap with a dealer he works with in NY who wanted one of his Porsche's. He said he took the NSX because he didn't need anymore Porsches and thought it would be more fun to sell.

#4) 03 on AutoTrader for $69,999

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...&advanced=n&start_year=2003&color=&cardist=53

also:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...&advanced=n&start_year=1981&color=&cardist=53

This one is at a dealership in Lakeland, FL.
It was originally leased by someonein Ga on 4/23/03 with 53 miles. Somebody else leased it on 4/23/04.
It is now at a dealership in Fl only 6 months later and has 8,400 miles. Carfax says it was purchased by the dealership at an auction on 9/1/04 where it was listed as a fleet vehicle.

added 10/13
WARNING: Since it wasn't far from me, I went to see car #4 even though I had already purchased another. The salesperson at this dealership told me his wife bought this car brand new from an Acura dealership in DC 18 months ago and that he was only selling it because she wanted something else. As you can see from the carfax info above, that was totally false. Driver's side front fender has also been replaced, but is not listed in carfax report.

------------------------------------------------------------

Kelly Blue book says the Retail price of these cars should be $83,650
Private Party value should be $76,500
Trade-In should be $69,525

They are all selling for less than trade-in cost.......do you guys think the prices are too good to be true if there isn't some problem in these cars past?

Ebay and Autotrader have similar cars selling for prices in the $80k's. Would you consider purchasing any of these or am I being stupid to consider it?

Last edited:
Re: 4 03's on Ebay at dealerships for around trade-in pric....think they have a problem??

They all look to be priced competitvely. When buying off of eBay, the cost is usually a bit lower as the # of buyers willing to purchase sight unseen is significantly fewer. The blue one is an auto which limits the market even further. If you're in the market, either of the yellow ones look legit. I'm sure a local prime member would be willing to take a peek.

HTH,

Ben

Re: 4 03's on Ebay at dealerships for around trade-in pric....think they have a problem??

beckertb said:
They all look to be priced competitvely. When buying off of eBay, the cost is usually a bit lower as the # of buyers willing to purchase sight unseen is significantly fewer. The blue one is an auto which limits the market even further. If you're in the market, either of the yellow ones look legit. I'm sure a local prime member would be willing to take a peek.

HTH,

Ben

Thank you for the quick reply and advice. Yes I am in the market. I just got approved for a loan to cover any of them, now I just have to make a decision.

The automatic is what's making me move away from the blue. I'm leaning towards the yellow in NY as first choice and the one in FL as second choice. The one in FL is only 53 miles away from me so I'm going to see it today. However, that one is 4,500 more than the one in NY and has 8500 miles and 2 previous owners; where the lower cost one in NY has only 3100 miles and 1 previous owner.

Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I bought the one in NY.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=5337&item=2493556269&rd=1

I called and talked to them and they took a bunch more pictures for me and emailed them and it looked amazing. The also had 129 reviews for selling 1 owner cars on ebay with all good reviews.

So now I'm just really nervous and excited about it gettin here in one piece. It's going to be shipped in an enclosed truck by a company they always use, so I guess everything should be ok.

Thanks again for the advice, Beckertb. :)

Hey.......Congrats. When we purchased our '02, it was from a Prime member. We bought it sight unseen and it was perfect.....just as a 700 mile car should be.

We paid considerably more for our '02 last year than you just got that '03 for, so you got a great buy. This next week will be torture, but it will all be worth it when you see the car being backed out of the transport truck.

Congrats again!
Ben

I've seen the first yellow one with 3300 miles....it is the driver of the owner of one of the Acura dealers in Kansas City. He has also been trying to sell it in the local paper for some time. I have looked at it fairly close last time I was at the dealership. It was parked out front....but I was inside most of the time looking at a silver/blk they had at the time.....so, hard to say if it was perfect or not.

I would be curious to see who the new owner is that also has dealer tags....I have a buddy of my dad's that has owned over 12 NSX's and deals in some nice rides....if it is him, he is a straight dude with no BS....anyone know more?

Just for the heck of it, since it was close by, I drove out to see the one in Lakeland, FL tonight (this was the second choice I was considering after the one I actually bought)......the one I had listed above as #4.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...&advanced=n&start_year=2003&color=&cardist=53

The salesman that came outside told me that it was his wife's car for the last 18 month's and he bought it in DC brand new from an Acura dealership. :eek: That was a lie, because I already knew from Carfax that the car had 2 different leaseholder's in GA, that his dealership bought it at an auction on 9/1/04, and that it was also listed as a fleet vehicle in the auction. He also told me this goofy story that he was only selling it because he got too fat to fit in it anymore......but he wasn't even fat. :confused:

After lying about where the car came from and how long he had it, he went on to volunteer to me that the front driver's side fender had been replaced. That wasn't even listed on Carfax and whoever fixed it did an excellent job because the only way to tell, if he hadn't already mentioned it was because I saw the VIN sticker wasn't on that fender when he opened the hood.

The car was clean and looked excellent, but he totally lied about where he got the car.

I'm really glad I decided to get the one from NY.......I also talked to them quite a while today and they seem like really good people, as well as everything they told me matched perfectly with what carfax said about it being a one owner, originally purchased in 2/04, and has 2,800 miles.

Looks like you gat a great deal on the yellow one. Good detective work on the one in FL. Congrats! you will love the NSX for sure.

Excellent job Tbck.
Im not too much of a fan of yellow, and for some reason it seems like theres a lot of yellow 03's and 04's out there for sale, driving the price down a little bit. But, regardless thats a fabulous price for a two year old car. Hope you enjoy it and be sure to share pics when you get it !

Congratulations, car looks beautiful. Enjoy it and welcome.

KCDude said:
I've seen the first yellow one with 3300 miles....it is the driver of the owner of one of the Acura dealers in Kansas City. He has also been trying to sell it in the local paper for some time. I have looked at it fairly close last time I was at the dealership. It was parked out front....but I was inside most of the time looking at a silver/blk they had at the time.....so, hard to say if it was perfect or not.

I would be curious to see who the new owner is that also has dealer tags....I have a buddy of my dad's that has owned over 12 NSX's and deals in some nice rides....if it is him, he is a straight dude with no BS....anyone know more?

The person who has that car now said his name was Joe Wein Jr. in the email he sent me.

Cairo94507 said:
Congratulations, car looks beautiful. Enjoy it and welcome.

Thank you.......and thank you to everyone who posted. :)

Last edited:

KCDude said:

KCDude,

Is there anyway you can take a look at this one? I would like to make an offer, but being in Houston, can't quite make the trip to look myself.

THANKS!

Sam

SamBel said:
KCDude said:

KCDude,

Is there anyway you can take a look at this one? I would like to make an offer, but being in Houston, can't quite make the trip to look myself.

THANKS!

Sam

Sure...I have a 5megapixel camera and could send you some high res pics if that would help. If you can make contact with the owner, I could run by either tomorrow or Sunday. Let me know what works. I'll PM you my email address.

SamBel said:
KCDude said:

KCDude,

THANKS!

Sam

Sam, I talked to my contact at Jay Wolfe Acura and he said the car was pristine when it was sold to the current owner. He said the dealership owner drove the car as "kind of daily driver" and liked to park it up on the sidewalk area in front of the building. He is now driving a leftover 04' blk/blk that I saw last time I was there. Basically, he always has a new to lower mileage X at his disposal.

My guess is that the car was pretty much pampered in every way. My contact was saying to me...."you know it was the owner's car....if it got a little dirty on his 10 minute drive to work, the guys were out back shining it up so he could park it on the side walk for the day...that car never without anything". His other comment was "he's selling it already?...the guy just bought the car." All that being said, I thought this car had about 3K miles on it when it was still owned by the dealership. If you run a carfax, it may be the case that the current owner only put a few hundred miles on it. Who knows. Hope that helps. Here is the contact info for Jay Wolfe Acura: 816-942-1550. I would get a carfax, confirm the origin of the car and call up the owner of the dealership and have a chat.

Thanks again KCDude,

I received an email from Joe Wein this morning. They already have someone with a "confirmed" purchase, but won't know definitely until next week.

Thanks for the help. This is what make NSX Prime the high quality boaard that it is!

Sam

SamBel said:
Thanks again KCDude,

I received an email from Joe Wein this morning. They already have someone with a "confirmed" purchase, but won't know definitely until next week.

Thanks . This is what make NSX Prime the high quality boaard that it is!

Sam

Dang, I wanted a ride when you picked it up.:D

KCDude said:
Dang, I wanted a ride when you picked it up.:D

Uh oh.....seems things are changing.

The previous "confirmed" buyer might not come through... :eek:

I hope to know more by Wednesday or Thursday.

This might get interesting...

Sam

Hey Sam,

Change of heart? :confused:

Sam

Zlee said:
Hey Sam,

Change of heart? :confused:

Sam

Howdy Sam,

No need to be confused, by this weekend, our deal will be done! :D

Sam in Houston

Back