• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

4.55 final gear whine

I converted my 91 5 speed to a 6 speed transmission. The 6 speed came with a 4.55 final drive. It also was configured to install a double clutch. I've noticed from the start that there is a rather noticeable whine coming from the rear. I have read this maybe a trait of the 4.55, but others said it should be as quiet as a stock .4.06 final drive. I't has been suggested that there maybe a bad bearing making that noise. When I did have swap done, I had a new throw-out bearing installed. Could that be the problem, or should I look somewhere else. I only use my 91 for the street. Thanks.

BTW: the 6 speed is so much better than the 5. At least from my experience. Thanks.

My sixteen-year-old 4.55 R&P has always had a VERY SLIGHT whine on neutral throttle (like cruising on the freeway) -- never under power.
There were two generations of Comptech 4.55 R&P - the first generation was not polished properly during the manufacturing process and were very noisy. Mine is a second generation unit.
I would think that all 6-speed R&P would be the later version type.
Hope this helps.

Back