• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

40R to 35R :confused:

Hey guys,

Well I am dumping my GT4088R for a 35R but I am a bit confused.

The GT35R Will need to have a T4 and 3" vband housing/outlet, because it has to bolt at the same location my actual turbo does .

Now, a member here has a GT35R the specs are 70 a/r compressor housing and a .63 exhaust housing but on a T3 configuration , He made 370whp at 8psi,boost came in at 3000rpm and it fell off at around 7500.

I would like to make 400-430whp at around 10psi ,I have acces to a GT35R with following specs: 70a/r compressor housing and .68 exhaust housing BUT on a T4 configuration .
Would the 35R with the T4 housing make a bit more power than the 35R with the T3 housing?

And another question, would my T4 twin scroll housing of my GT4088R turbo bolt right on to the GT35R turbo?

-Manuel

The T4 housing may make a little difference, but not huge. Also, I don't think the housing would be a bolt up. The turbine wheel would have to be exactly the same between the two turbos, doubt they are.

I'd personally pick up a Precision Billet 62mm turbo(GT35R is generally a 61mm) for your specific goals. Should be able to pick one up brand new for $900.

Elite, I've been seeing a trend of tuners picking the Precision over the Garret lately. Care to expand on why? The differences don't jump out at me and I've heard of a lot more quality control issues with the Precision units, yet I've seen a lot of tuners migrating towards that brand over the past two years.

I'm a turbo newb so I'm just picking your brain here.

The T4 housing may make a little difference, but not huge. Also, I don't think the housing would be a bolt up. The turbine wheel would have to be exactly the same between the two turbos, doubt they are.

I'd personally pick up a Precision Billet 62mm turbo(GT35R is generally a 61mm) for your specific goals. Should be able to pick one up brand new for $900.

I was looking at the PT6262, but after reading tons of horror stories about turbos letting go, I am really very very eskeptical about using a PT unit.
I would hate for the turbo to go half way through the season and and the down time that would mean.

I was quoted 1400 for the PT6262 in DBB configuration , the 62mm turbo you are talking about won't BB, right?
BTW, the 6262 doesn't use water lines, it's air cooled.

You think PT it's safe?
Garrett its just dead reliable , is it worthed the chance ?

-MSR

Elite, I've been seeing a trend of tuners picking the Precision over the Garret lately. Care to expand on why? The differences don't jump out at me and I've heard of a lot more quality control issues with the Precision units, yet I've seen a lot of tuners migrating towards that brand over the past two years.

Interesting. Not trying to start an argument, but I didn't even bother to consider the Garret's because of their quality control issues in the past two years.

Nevermind - don't listen to me as I'm considering Aerochargers and those don't have the best reputation either :redface: But, I've heard good things about their redesigned turbos!

Dave

What Garrett bad quality?? Really!!! Noooooooo!!!
Why do you do this to me !! , I think I need to do more research...
Interesting. Not trying to start an argument, but I didn't even bother to consider the Garret's because of their quality control issues in the past two years.

Nevermind - don't listen to me as I'm considering Aerochargers and those don't have the best reputation either :redface: But, I've heard good things about their redesigned turbos!

Dave

I've used a T4 GT35R in the past and would strongly advise against it. It was SUPER laggy and didn't produce any more up top than a T3 GT35R. At your power level I would switch to a T3 flange and use one of the new billet turbos suggested in this thread. They will be far more responsive AND have more available up top.

I've used a T4 GT35R in the past and would strongly advise against it. It was SUPER laggy and didn't produce any more up top than a T3 GT35R. At your power level I would switch to a T3 flange and use one of the new billet turbos suggested in this thread. They will be far more responsive AND have more available up top.

Ive used a divided t4 35r, t3 35r, and t3 3076r on my old b series the 30r and divided gt35r spooled up the same and the t3 35r spooled up the slowest out of the bunch.

Is your manifold divided metal? if so run the 1.06" divided and i think you should be fine. Your 40r housing will not fit directly onto the 35r you will need to get one for the 35r.

I haven't heard of any issues with garrett, i think some people freaked out because they might have started making some of them in china in addition to mexico and japan. But they forget their iphone is made in china too. Garrett has always been made all over.

BOB K runs a MASE tuned 6262. I'm sure you've seen this but here it is anyhow.

Numbers were 403hp, 360tq. Not sure if it's mentioned but I believe Bob Kis not running headers. His boost hits pretty low down.

http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145899

That's exactly what I was afraid off with the PT6262, the power is way too low and a huge amount of stress on the engine to be banging 20minute sessions at the time.

Thanks for the link though, I hadn't seen it before.

-MSR

I was looking at the PT6262, but after reading tons of horror stories about turbos letting go, I am really very very eskeptical about using a PT unit.
I would hate for the turbo to go half way through the season and and the down time that would mean.

I was quoted 1400 for the PT6262 in DBB configuration , the 62mm turbo you are talking about won't BB, right?
BTW, the 6262 doesn't use water lines, it's air cooled.

You think PT it's safe?
Garrett its just dead reliable , is it worthed the chance ?

-MSR

I've been using PTE turbos on customer cars for the past eight or so years. I landed with them after other mfg's turbos failing time after time. Failures I've seen with PTE turbos(and other mfg's) are largly improper install/oiling issues(feed and/or return) by other shops or customers.

From memory, I believe PTE turbos use Garret center sections, but their own wheel and housing designs. The Billet Series wheels in particular have proven themselves to make the power of larger wheels, with the spool of smaller wheels. Thus the increase in popularity.

As with most things these days, old designs become obsolete when a better design comes out. I'd say that the Billet 62 is the replacement for the "GT35R" that was popular a few years ago.

Please excuse any spelling or punctuation errors, as I'm typing this on my phone.

No , my Y-pipe it's not divided but should of been...

But I was reading what you just comment, T4 GT35 with a 1.06 diveded exhaust housing Would spool like a GT30R with alot more top end. Given there is a Divided manifold to complement it.

I think I am picking up that 35R I was talking about(T4-70a/r .68 ) and run 10psi , I am thinking it would bring me to 400-420whp.

Worst casenario , I'll just buy a bigger housing .82

-MSR

Ive used a divided t4 35r, t3 35r, and t3 3076r on my old b series the 30r and divided gt35r spooled up the same and the t3 35r spooled up the slowest out of the bunch.

Is your manifold divided metal? if so run the 1.06" divided and i think you should be fine. Your 40r housing will not fit directly onto the 35r you will need to get one for the 35r.

I haven't heard of any issues with garrett, i think some people freaked out because they might have started making some of them in china in addition to mexico and japan. But they forget their iphone is made in china too. Garrett has always been made all over.

Right now they are having huge problems with Ford and other diesel turbos. I realize those are different designs and possibly manufacturing plants. However, the talk about saving money by another factory relocation (from Mexico to China) for the gasoline turbos is reason enough for me to stay away now and in the future until they get their act together.

Dave

Ok, when I talked to the guys at PTE they recommended the 6262.

BUT, when I talked to the guys at FP makers of the HTA, they actually told me that I did not need it a billet wheel or as he said it "nothing fancy" and that an standar GT35R with T4 housing would be enough.

He said, "the billet wheels were desing and work better at higher boost" for 10psi a good 'ol 35R it's good enough, this after me explaining my current set up of course.

The comment about the billet series performing better at higher boost levels is correct. But they also perform better overall IMO.

We may be splitting hairs here considering your power goals and boost levels. But I wouldn't hold much weight in one mfg commenting on anothers product.

FP and PTE both produce wheels/housings that are currently leading this industry.

I just realised I never answered your BB/cost question. You are correct, $900 for a non BB variant.

Last edited:
I've been using PTE turbos on customer cars for the past eight or so years. I landed with them after other mfg's turbos failing time after time. Failures I've seen with PTE turbos(and other mfg's) are largly improper install/oiling issues(feed and/or return) by other shops or customers.

From memory, I believe PTE turbos use Garret center sections, but their own wheel and housing designs. The Billet Series wheels in particular have proven themselves to make the power of larger wheels, with the spool of smaller wheels. Thus the increase in popularity.

PTE hasn't used Garrett parts for quite some time now. They still use garrett intercooler cores but not turbo parts from what I've been told.

I would go the other way I would say that the failures(Mostly just smoking for the new billets) are due to following Precision's oiling directions. They don't want people using restrictors but yet they continue to smoke until you install one.:confused:

I didn't say what proper oiling is ;) , as it seems to be different for every car/oiling source/pressure.

Didn't know about PTE moving on from Garret. Regardless, I personally do not know of failures due to their product in general.

In the end its too close to call(there are too many variables to make a solid guess). It could hit your marks, or could just as easily miss. If you are OK with being relatively close, than just do it and see what happens.

Last edited:

Twin scroll T4 is dramatically different than open and requires a manifold designed to capitalize on the twin scroll housing as far as boost response. If you don't have a twin scroll manifold then I wouldn't advise anything T4 unless it's 67mm inducer or larger. Smaller than that and the compressor isn't large enough to capitalize on the flow of the exhaust housing. For the power levels you want I don't think a T4 based turbocharger is necessary.

PT has a great warranty. When I was selling several of their turbos daily either separately or in turbo kits I never had a problem when it came time for them to warranty a failure. When they had a few consistent problem turbos they remedied the problem for existing owners, provided a fix in new turbos and off we went. Good company and people.

Last edited:
Twin scroll T4 is dramatically different than open and requires a manifold designed to capitalize on the twin scroll housing as far as boost response. If you don't have a twin scroll manifold then I wouldn't advise anything T4 unless it's 67mm inducer or larger. Smaller than that and the compressor isn't large enough to capitalize on the flow of the exhaust housing. For the power levels you want I don't think a T4 based turbocharger is necessary.

PT has a great warranty. When I was selling several of their turbos daily either separately or in turbo kits I never had a problem when it came time for them to warranty a failure. When they had a few consistent problem turbos they remedied the problem for existing owners, provided a fix in new turbos and off we went. Good company and people.

Just because it's a t4 doesn't always mean its a much bigger exhaust housing nor does it mean it will be any more laggy than a t3. The flange dimensions alone dont mean anything. I believe the OP already has a t4 manifold and with a .68 t4 i doubt would spool any later than a .82 t3.

Ok, I have made my mind up.

I will go with the PT6262 , which doesnt come with a ex-housing bigger than .68
So I will be ordering it with a .81 ex-hausing from the PT6266 , they both have a 76mm trim turbine wheel so it shouldn't be an issue.

Here is the link for PTE turbos.

http://www.precisionturbo.net/Street-and-Race/ss/600-800HP/2

-MSR

I don't know if it helps but I run a PT6262 I think. Elite can answer that though since he built my car. I also don't remember if I have a BB or regular.

Do you know what ex-housing you have? Power , psi, or a dyno sheet?

That would be awesome!

-MSR

Back