• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

$45k good for used 98 NSX-T?

Hi!

Just wondering if $45k is good for a used 1998 silver/black NSX-T 6-speed with 35k miles? It's not in the best cosmetic shape, but it runs great. There are several scratches on the paint, seats are worn out (but not ripped), engine bay is dirty, lots of finger nail scratches where you open the door. I would also need to perform a 30k tuneup (~$1k at Acura dealership).
The body doesn't seem to be re-painted or anything.
The transmission seems to be a bit notchy. Not sure if that's normal or not. It's a lot more notchy than my S2000!
Any thoughts?
TIA!

Steve

Let's see - it has above-average miles, it has not had scheduled maintenance that was due three years ago :eek: , and it looks abused outside and in. Whereas, for a few thousand dollars more, you can find a nice one that doesn't have those problems. Does that about sum it up for you?

Nothing Wrong

Let's see - it has above-average miles, it has not had scheduled maintenance that was due three years ago :eek: , and it looks abused outside and in. Whereas, for a few thousand dollars more, you can find a nice one that doesn't have those problems. Does that about sum it up for you?

One - 35k miles since 1998 averages out to 7800 miles (only six months used in 2003) per year, which is hardly above average annual miles in the US. Check with AAA, and you'll see the average annual mileage is on the other side of 10k per year.

Two - engine bay washes out in an afternoon, using Simple Green. Next.

Three - paint scratches and fingernail scratches can be polished out using your favorite cleanser - clay with Zaino or Zymol.....surprised you let this "deterent" stand in the way.

Four - just how worn are the seats? There are lots of leather restoration shops that do high quality work. This excuse is not quantifiable.

Five - regarding the lapse of maintenance.....let's put this in perspective - oil change (assuming this was done frequently, this is a non-starter), air filter.....big deal, only six months overdue (considering the car is driven less than annual average, this too, is a non-issue), trans fluid change - same remark as air filter, valve lash adjustment - same remark as air filter.

Six - "socal28", does THIS sum it up for you? nsxtasy is a stickler for the n-th detail; however, from a practical side there is nothing wrong (assuming no accident nor water damage) with this car.

Re: Nothing Wrong

AndyVecsey said:
Check with AAA, and you'll see the average annual mileage is on the other side of 10k per year.

For everyday cars like Accords and Tauruses, yes. The median annual mileage on an NSX is 5,000 miles per year. This has been borne out in surveys, ad listings, etc.

8K miles/year is above average for an NSX.

AndyVecsey said:
Three - paint scratches and fingernail scratches can be polished out using your favorite cleanser - clay with Zaino or Zymol.....

That depends on how deep they are. If they are significant enough that they're very noticeable, then you will need to use something stronger; if they are really deep, you may need to repaint.

AndyVecsey said:
Four - just how worn are the seats? There are lots of leather restoration shops that do high quality work. This excuse is not quantifiable.

Not quantifiable, but seats on a car with 35K miles on it should not look worn at all.

AndyVecsey said:
Five - regarding the lapse of maintenance.....let's put this in perspective - oil change (assuming this was done frequently, this is a non-starter), air filter.....big deal, only six months overdue (considering the car is driven less than annual average, this too, is a non-issue), trans fluid change - same remark as air filter, valve lash adjustment - same remark as air filter.

The 30K mile service is due every 30K miles or 2 years, whichever comes first. I can only assume that this car has never had a 30K service. That means it has never had its brake fluid changed, or its transmission fluid changed. Those are serious problems and can have serious effects. For example, brake fluid will absorb moisture over time. The prospect of a car that hasn't had its brake fluid changed in five years is just downright scary. :eek: If that is indeed the case, you are looking at a very poorly maintained car. If you want to buy a very poorly maintained car, that's your privilege. I wouldn't - especially since it's not that much less in price than one that's been well-maintained, with lower mileage.

AndyVecsey said:
nsxtasy is a stickler for the n-th detail

Nonsense. If you're willing to buy a car that is not perfect, that's your privilege. But the question that was asked here was whether the price is fair for a car that has such significant defects - and IMO it is too high.

AndyVecsey said:
from a practical side there is nothing wrong (assuming no accident nor water damage) with this car.

As noted above, there are serious issues with this car, and it has mileage that is 40-50 percent higher than average for an NSX. The relatively small difference in price compared to a car without these issues makes this car not worth buying, in my O. If the price were significantly less, and if you were willing to take a risk with a poorly-maintained, high-mileage car, then it might be - but not at this price.

Last edited:
seat condition

I have often thought the seat condition tells an untold story when they are worn out on a relatively low mile car. JMO :confused:

I bought a silver 98t with a lil over 70k miles and the seats are almost perfect still. This I thought was extraordinary, but serious signs of wear at 35k. hmmmm....

(never would I accuse) but it makes you wonder about true miles?
unless the person could not bend there knees and had to slide along the bolsters everytime they got in and out.

socal28 - it all comes down to this.....what do you want?

Saint and nsxtasy have widely opposing views on a multitude of topics; however, as these relate to the NSX you ought to take the following into consideration.

One's is a 91 with less than 50k miles and the other's is a 95 with 74k miles, and both are in perfect condition.

One is virtually stock and the other is modded from one end to the other.

One is parked in the winter and the other is a daily driver year-round.

With such differing issues as above, as well as what may be viewed as contradictory suggestions from Saint and nsxtasy in this thread, take what is said with a grain of salt - he says stay away and I say buy it.....aren't we a helpful pair? :D If you like silver and the price is right and the "flaws" don't bother you and/or can be remediated, then go for it!

AndyVecsey said:
socal28 - it all comes down to this.....what do you want?

And whom do you believe?

AndyVecsey said:
One's is a 91 with less than 50k miles and the other's is a 95 with 74k miles, and both are in perfect condition.

I don't know about his car, but this statement about my car is not true.

AndyVecsey said:
One is virtually stock and the other is modded from one end to the other.

This one is not true, either.

AndyVecsey said:
With such differing issues as above, as well as what may be viewed as contradictory suggestions from Saint and nsxtasy in this thread, take what is said with a grain of salt - he says stay away and I say buy it.....

Also not true. I didn't say "stay away". I said that the price is too high. Like bayareansx1999, I think that this car would be a "good buy" at $40K, but a "good bye" at $45K. And that's what you asked - whether or not this car is worth the money asked. Which is what I have given you my opinion about - instead of using the topic to make snide comments about anyone else here.

Last edited:
There will be others. There are enough NSXs out there that you ought to be able to find what you're looking for, if you're willing to pay a fair price. The Pricing section of the FAQ should be very helpful to you. You can use it to consider where you want to make your trade-offs - paying more for a well-maintained car with below-average miles, paying less for a car without those qualities, an older model vs a newer one, etc. As a general rule, I think your best bet is to consider your priorities and decide what to look for, and then finding it - rather than hearing of a particular car and deciding whether or not that's what you want.

Good luck.

I paid around mid 30's for a '93 without a scratch, 55K miles, small wear on driver's seat, and tons of updates: racing exhaust, racing headers, wheels, cold air intake, amped speakers, and more. I think I got a fair deal for a very well taken care of NSX, but what sealed the deal for me was that it was here. I would give you this recommendation, if you don't mind parting right now with the $$ for the car, then do it. If you are confident that you can find a nicer NSX in your area (or some place you're willing to go to), and don't mind waiting or searching, then I'd pass. They are tough to come by around my neck of the woods.

Back