• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

5 speed vs. 6 speed?

That number on the Pilot is way off. At 75 mph, the Pilot is over 2500 rpm. I know because whenever I drive my wife's car (2007 Pilot, 5-speed), I compare the rpms to my Camaro at the same speed. The Pilot is well over 2K, while the Camaro (6 speed) runs at about 1600 rpm (0.5 6th gear, 3.42 final gear).

Ok, maybe I am a bit off on the exact numbers (I have to look again), but you get my point. On my 6-speed NSX, at 60mph, it's about 2500rpm and at 70, it's at just shy of 3000rpm. That's close to 1000rpm off the 3.5L Honda cars out there. That's what I was not used to because I happen to have a Pilot, Odyssey, and RL and all of them seem to cruise at very low RPM in top gear. I know there is a 0.3L displacement different, but they could have made 6th a little taller.

Last edited:
just so you know,in 95 the ratio of 2nd was changed to at least partially address the perceived issue that revs dropped too low,out of vtec range,on the 1-2 shift-

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Changes_by_Year#Changes_for_1995

on another topic,when i drove a six-speed,i didn't like the shift smoothness as much as the five,thought it felt a bit notchier.has anyone else experienced that?

just so you know, in 95 the ratio of 2nd was changed to at least partially address the perceived issue that revs dropped too low,out of vtec range, on the 1-2 shift

if I'm not mistaken, which I could well be, aren't the lower 3 gears of the '95 and '96 transmission ratios shorter than the '91 thru '94? I've driven both cars back-to-back and the '95 or '96 NSX certainly feels a lot more lively through those bottom gears. top gear is the same though.

on another topic,when i drove a six-speed,i didn't like the shift smoothness as much as the five,thought it felt a bit notchier.has anyone else experienced that?

as for what you're saying, I've owned both transmissions and would agree. the 6-speed is a little bit more notchy, but I think the 5-speed is better for spirited driving. on the highway it's such a small difference in rpm, I wouldn't even be bothered as a consideration. I'd say the NA2's would be better cars, there are a lot of updates. just find one you like and enjoy it...

I've also owned both transmissions and fastaussie is correct. The six is slightly more notchy than the five but the lower gears aren't as long as on the five and I enjoy the six just a little more because of it. Though, now with twin turbos, it revs through 1,2 and 3 pretty fast. That's when I think those long low gears in the five speed might come in handy.

This chart is copy and pasted right out of the Wiki page on this site. As you can see the final drives between the 5 speed and 6 speeds are very close. I wouldn't worry about the RPMs being too high for a cross country trip. All things being equal I would prefer a six speed in the 97+ cars due to the greater power but if you're concerned about power that much buy a Corvette. Good luck in your search.

Gear US '91-'94
Ratio - MPH US '95-'96
Ratio - MPH US '97+
Ratio - MPH Japan '91-'94
Ratio - MPH -R '91-'94 Japanese
'91-'96
R&P 4.062 4.062 4.062 4.062 4.235 4.55*
1 3.071 - 45 3.071 - 45 3.066 - 47 3.071 - 45 3.071 3.071 - 41
2 1.727 - 81 1.800 1.956 - 74 1.952 - 73 1.952 1.952 - 65
3 1.230 - 114 1.230 - 116 1.428 - 102 1.400 - 101 1.400 1.400 - 90
4 0.967 - 144 0.967 - 144 1.125 - 130 1.033 - 139 1.033 1.033 - 124
5 0.771 - 186 0.771 - 186 0.914 - 160 0.771 - 186 0.771 0.771 - 166
6 <none> <none> 0.717 - 202 <none> <none> <none>
R 3.186 3.186 3.186 3.186 3.186 3.186
R&P stands for Ring and Pinion. It's the final drive gear for the transaxle -- what is in the

You would just need to update the trans fluid to Syncromesh and that would be resolved;).....

Regards,
LarryB

do you always prefer the synchromesh for the five and six-speeds,larry,or do you just recommended it for the six,or if the trans is showing some wear or notchiness? when you do use it,what proportions of regular to friction modified do you use?most on here seem to use a mixture, the "cocktail." thanks

I've had my 92 daily driver for 18 years it has 204,000+ miles
I started with the 5 sp and when the snap ring went out had it rebuilt with the JDM short gears and that was a big upgrade
When I had the 3.8 NA conversion done I changed to the 6 sp
As a daily driver i commute about 30 miles on the highway each way. Cruising at 80 down the highway in 6 gear just feels comfortable to me
So I think it's a matter of what kind of driving you do, and if you are going to continue to make that coast to coast drive bi annually I'd highly recommend the 6sp
My 2cents, good luck to you

How are the JDM gearsets with the US final drive in the 5 speed? If I don't go 6 speed then that is the route I will go with my 5 speed.

How are the JDM gearsets with the US final drive in the 5 speed? If I don't go 6 speed then that is the route I will go with my 5 speed.

This was my setup. I loved it. It was the best of both worlds- close ratio for 2-3-4, but it kept the long 5 + 4.06 diff for the highway.

This was my setup. I loved it. It was the best of both worlds- close ratio for 2-3-4, but it kept the long 5 + 4.06 diff for the highway.

I know how the gears should react on paper, but I wanted personal experience in what was liked vs not liked. Did you ever get to race with the gears at all?

[MENTION=26235]jones83[/MENTION] I am not able to offer opinion on the US spec but our cars over here come with the JDM gearset and I have since upgraded the gearbox to the R model and with the LSD plates from the R model, the car is really good on the road and is fine on long trips an overdrive would be nice if it was a long trip drive but is not missed in real world driving, however we feel on the track it still needs the OS Giken LSD to get the ratio better so it will be the next mod

[MENTION=24046]scammy[/MENTION] Thanks for the feedback along with [MENTION=18194]Honcho[/MENTION]. I was really curious if it was justified for power levels in the 400+whp range, but all feedback is obviously helpful.

I know how the gears should react on paper, but I wanted personal experience in what was liked vs not liked. Did you ever get to race with the gears at all?

I have tracked the car with this setup and it was perfectly suited for each corner. I never felt as if I was in the wrong gear on any corner entry. I had no dislikes about this setup and it, along with the Super Ti exhaust is the best mod I ever did for my NSX.

OP, I think 1K2GO got rid of his 4.44 (or was it 4.55?) and said that with the supercharger (400+ rwhp), the resulting longer gears were much more effective. Not sure if he has a 5 speed or 6 (I think it's a 5). You may want to seek him out on the matter.

do you always prefer the synchromesh for the five and six-speeds,larry,or do you just recommended it for the six,or if the trans is showing some wear or notchiness? when you do use it,what proportions of regular to friction modified do you use?most on here seem to use a mixture, the "cocktail." thanks

I have only used it in the 6 speed, 5 speeds shift fine. I use 2 Friction Modified, one regular, very smooth shifting with that....

HTH,
LarryB

I only use GM Friction modified in all my cars the cocktail is a god sent.

those who do not know the formula its as follows

1 qt Gm Syncromesh ( normal )
2 qts GM syncromesh Friction Modified

instructions

open the fill bolt first incase you cant get it off, then open the drain bolt, drain...reinstall drain bolt....then pour both friction modified in first then use the last bottle to top it off as it will onlt use about half of the last bottle
reinstall fill bolt.

the reason behind remove the fill bolt first is if you take the drain bolt off and cant get the fill bolt off then your stuck with a car with no tran oil.

carry on

I've had my 92 daily driver for 18 years it has 204,000+ miles
I started with the 5 sp and when the snap ring went out had it rebuilt with the JDM short gears and that was a big upgrade
When I had the 3.8 NA conversion done I changed to the 6 sp
As a daily driver i commute about 30 miles on the highway each way. Cruising at 80 down the highway in 6 gear just feels comfortable to me
So I think it's a matter of what kind of driving you do, and if you are going to continue to make that coast to coast drive bi annually I'd highly recommend the 6sp
My 2cents, good luck to you

Dayum, 3.8 sounds really fun.:biggrin:

I've owned a US 5 speed, 5spd with Japanese gear set, and US 6spd. By far I like the 6spd the best. And by far I hate the US 5spd.

Don't forget the '97 has alot of other changes as well besides the tranny.

From the FAQ:

Changes for 1997
-Three new colors: Kaiser Silver, Monte Carlo Blue, Spa Yellow
-Coupes can be special ordered with either a black top or a body color top; -Ts still have body colored roofs
-New wheel color on all wheels: Blades Silver (a bright machined/brushed looking finish)
-Larger front and rear brake rotor diameters and rotor thickness. The bracket and the rotors are the major change
-Front caliper pistons went from 40mm and 34mm to 40mm and 36mm.
-Larger engine displacement (bore increased from 90mm to 93mm) from 3.0L to 3.2L on manual transmission cars. Model number for new engine is C32B.
-Horse power increase from 270 hp to 290 hp and torque increase from 210 lbs-ft to 224 lbs-ft (manual tranny)
-Different exhaust manifolds, now stainless steel and free breathing
-Different cylinder linings, fiber reinforced (FRM)
-Larger intake valves
-Different head gaskets
-Larger connecting rod bearings
-Numerous emission control system changes
-Six speed manual transmission - 6th gear is engaged by a solenoid. The gearshift activates a switch to change gears.
-Double synchros on 3rd through 6th gears
-Lockout of reverse gear above 12mph
-Dual-disc clutch changed to a single disc clutch
-Dual mass flywheel
-Larger diameter spare tire to clear new brakes
-Stronger, thinner aluminum body panels
-Heat absorbing glass instead of bronze glass
-Immobilizer anti-theft system with coded key using an electronic transponder. No more all-metal keys.
-Ignition switch light went away to make room for the immobilizer antenna.
-Improved NVH (Noise Vibration and Harshness)
-The final gear ratio does not change, so 6th gear in the 1997 NSX results in 6.9% higher vehicle speed than 5th gear in the 1996 model.
-New aluminum alloy in selected body areas to reduce weight and increase rigidity
-Larger spare tire size (from 15 in to 16 in diameter)
-Refined electronic power steering control
-Revised shape of the front spoiler
-Refined ABS braking system
-Improved Traction Control System (TCS) with new control logic

Does the 1993 not have this:

Lockout of reverse gear above 12mph

Back