• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

50 Over in Ontario and you're screwed!

Red

Legendary Member
Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty announced Wednesday that motorists travelling more than 50 kilometres above the speed limit will be treated as street racers under the law.

Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty makes the announcement at the Buttonville Airport in Markham, north of Toronto on Wednesday, Aug. 15, 2007.

As of Sept. 30, excessive speeders will face increased fines up to $10,000, will have their license suspended and their vehicle impounded for seven days.

The new legislation is part of increased efforts introduced in June to cut down on dangerous driving in the province.

"We're also providing police with an additional $2 million to support a new OPP airplane, sophisticated surveillance equipment and 55 additional OPP officers in communities across Ontario," McGuinty announced.

"This funding means more patrols, better surveillance and more crime fighting tools for police."

The new fixed-wing aircrafts will be used to patrol the province's highways for dangerous drivers. Officials say the small planes will cost an estimated $200 per hour compared to helicopters, which cost $1,000 per hour.

Provincial Police Commissioner Julian Fantino said having a surveillance aircraft "is an important step'' in the goal of saving lives and reducing serious injuries on highways, waterways and trails.

"The speeders we've dealt with in my time with the OPP, they've all got an excuse, including `I'm tired,' `my mother-in-law is sick,' `why don't you go and catch some real criminals' -- those are excuses I wouldn't accept,'' Fantino said.

According to the provincial government, there are about 2,500 convictions annually for driving more than 50 kilometres over the speed limit.

If convicted, first-time offenders face a minimum fine of $2,000.

"If you're reckless on our roads, if you choose to break the law, we consider you a threat to our public safety and you're going to face stiff penalties,'' said McGuinty.

Provincial funding will also go towards a new 3-D scanner, which will aid in recreating accident scenes.

"This will also mean faster investigation of collision scenes so we can more quickly re-open our roads and our highways,'' McGuinty said.

Brian Patterson of the Ontario Safety League believes the new initiatives will help make the province's roads much safer.

"What we really have to do is deal with that extreme end of extreme driving: the impaired driver, the excessive speeder, the lane changer who causes traffic problems," Patterson told CTV News on Wednesday.

"This is one tool in the tool box to help do that and it's a good day for safety in Ontario as a result."

I am all for strict street racing fines, but common, Im over 150 in my minivan, driving WITH traffic down the 401 often.

Avg speed has to be in the 135 to 140 range on that highway.

THis is just political posturing. Lost my vote.

Makes the T top a desirable option for sure. I usually do look up before doing any sprinting on an empty section of Hwy, have to stick my head out the window though:frown:

"We're also providing police with an additional $2 million to support a new OPP airplane, sophisticated surveillance equipment and 55 additional OPP officers in communities across Ontario," McGuinty announced.

According to the provincial government, there are about 2,500 convictions annually for driving more than 50 kilometres over the speed limit.

If convicted, first-time offenders face a minimum fine of $2,000.

So they invest $2million, and on the LOW end, they make $5million back...

$3million profit in ONE year is some excellent return for their investment!

Does Ontario issue stock I could buy :tongue:

Ontario driving laws are continually moving in a backward direction. Agree as well, that this is political posturing. Its all hype now, in a few weeks it will die down similar to the "crunching of the cars" for the modifications.

Our premier is the king of broken promises.

There are so many other issues he should be tackling first. He's going to get a nickname of smokey if he keeps this up.

The average speed on the 401 has increased from 120 to 130kph in the last few years. There are times when as Dave says, you are flying just to keep up with traffic.

What we need are more highways with less congestion, more MOV lanes and increase the limit to 110 - 120 in some sections.

How about higher speed limits for an all electric car. :)
Wow, now what an environmental incentive.
Tesla, lets give one a try.

Or maybe higher limits for an all aluminum car. :smile:

On a more serious note, how about setting a April-Nov Dry road condition limit of 120 or 130. And start issuing points and fines at 121 or 131. aka no "grace" range, but at least make the limit what 90% of the people are driving anyway. (Dave kind of already said this)

Most of my drive from Denver on the weekend was right at the posted 75mph, which translates to 120.7km/hr. Nobody was exploding into a pile of flames at the side of the road there.

Not going to happen, but nice to think about.

Last edited:
How about higher speed limits for an all electric car. :)
Wow, now what an environmental incentive.
Tesla, lets give one a try.

Or maybe higher limits for an all aluminum car. :smile:

On a more serious note, how about setting a April-Nov Dry road condition limit of 120 or 130. And start issuing points and fines at 121 or 131. aka no "grace" range, but at least make the limit what 90% of the people are driving anyway. (Dave kind of already said this)

Most of my drive from Denver on the weekend was right at the posted 75mph, which translates to 120.7km/hr. Nobody was exploding into a pile of flames at the side of the road there.

Not going to happen, but nice to think about.

Sorry, didn't read your post, still drooling over your Avitar:wink:

Man!! All of this stuff about crushing cars, and $10,000 fines with a 7 day impound makes me never want to come back to Ontario!! :mad: :eek:

What the heck is it with these people who make these traffic laws? One of my favorite things about when I return to Ontario is that traffic moves VERY quickly, but also much more smoothly than in the States. People stay in their lanes more, and move rather smoothly. It is not uncommon for trips on 401 or 400 to consist of keeping up with minivans and sedans driving 90mph - 100 mph. The funny thing is that I feel safer driving in 100 mph traffic in Ontario than I do 70 mph traffic in Indiana. People here are just plain dipsh*ts.

So taxpayers foot the bill for high-tech equipment to catch speeders, but minivan-driving, coffee-drinking, cell-phone-using moms or dads trying to race to Tim Horton's while looking over their shoulder to prevent their kids from killing each other aren't considering dangerous.

You forgot to add: while watching their GPS, adjusting the movie screen, listening to their satellite radio, and typing on their blackberry:confused:

Back