• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

600-Pound Woman Dies After Being Surgically Removed From Couch

Unless she was indeed mentally handicap or had some unusual condition I have no sympathy for her.

She should've taken care of herself.

KulSecHskY said:
Unless she was indeed mentally handicap or had some unusual condition I have no sympathy for her.

Isn't it obvious that it had to be the case ? Who in his/her right mind let him/herself decay like that ? She obviously had some problems, probably much more deeper than we all can debate on this public forum. What we saw are just the results, very superficial stuff...

I think it's all very sad and feel sorry for her or anyone else that ends up like this (alone, unloved,...)

apapada said:
Isn't it obvious that it had to be the case ? Who in his/her right mind let him/herself decay like that ? She obviously had some problems, probably much more deeper than we all can debate on this public forum. What we saw are just the results, very superficial stuff...

I think it's all very sad and feel sorry for her or anyone else that ends up like this (alone, unloved,...)

alone and unloved.... very likely, but there is also a possiblity that she developed this mental problem as she gained the weight.

On my way home this week on an airplane I sat next to this guy who needed an extension for his seat belt. Great guy, very nice but I just can't understand how people let themselves become like that.

This is a complete failure of a community. Obviously, if she hadn’t gotten off her couch for a number of years then she was receiving regular food deliveries. Whoever was delivering the food must accept some responsibility, they had to be entering the house and putting the food within her reach. Neighbors, family? If she were a dog, the enablers surely would be charged with animal cruelty. It is disgusting.

DanO

KulSecHskY said:
alone and unloved.... very likely, but there is also a possiblity that she developed this mental problem as she gained the weight.

On my way home this week on an airplane I sat next to this guy who needed an extension for his seat belt. Great guy, very nice but I just can't understand how people let themselves become like that.

People with this attitude piss me off so bad. genetics play a huge role in the gerth of people. You don't know that this lady didnt have a medical condition of any kind, which is highly likely considering being 4'10" and 480+ pounds.

Not everyone is skinny or can be... alot of people literally bust their ass and will be big. It doesn't make them less of a person or whatever...

I know you tried to cover your track by saying
Great guy, very nice but...
but you show your ignorance, by judging him and his work ethic by asking how someone could let themselves get like that....

ehh i know this is old, but the story was very sad and new to me, my dad and uncle are some of the hardest working people I know, one of them being a doctor, and would need this "belt extension".

Not everyone is an abercrombie model

whoa, u dug up an old one...

I agree that u shouldn't judge an individual person who is over weight without knowing if it's due to genetic or medical conditions for their specific case, but overall, there are so many over weight people in this country (and the world now) that it's pretty safe to say that in the majority of these cases it has nothing to do with genetics or medical conditions. If it were genetics, it looks like the human race is doomed because we're heading in the wrong direction. Weight wasn't such a big issue for people 10, 20, 30 years ago.

I can't deny that someone's appearance (which includes cleanliness, cloths, mannerisms in addition to weight) when i first meet them helps me form my initial impression. I'm sure that's true of most people whether it be consciously or subconsciously.

I have a patient who is very large. He is a minimum of 350, honestly one of my nicest patients and I generally spend more time with him talking about random stuff. I have to be honest that I noticed his weight the first time I met him, but mostly because of my concern of his health. The only thing that I find odd about this story is how she did not have serious bed sores. With that much weight she probably had a ton of pain while she was on that couch. I feel licky that I am built lean and if I let myself go for a few weeks I tend to gain 3-5 pounds that I can loose in a week or so, my wife hates me. I do believe people can be predisposed to being heavier, but 300+ lbs is not genetic, unlessthey have a serious disorder, generally endocirne. Weight is simple, there have to be calories in order for there to be a weight gain. The weight does not come from thin air. Still a sad story.

nuccaJB said:
......... I do believe people can be predisposed to being heavier, but 300+ lbs is not genetic, unless they have a serious disorder, generally endocrine. Weight is simple, there have to be calories in order for there to be a weight gain. The weight does not come from thin air. Still a sad story.

I am always amazed at my clients with pets that are 50-100% overweight, and they just cannot understand how they "got that way".

As nuccaJB says, either the calories go in, or the activity does not take place. How many thyroid tests I have run just to placate the owner:D

I work in property management in DC and had a case similar to that a few years ago. We had to modify a house by enlarging the door and replacing the steps with a ramp so that paramedics could get a 500+ pound woman out of a townhouse. She could not otherwise fit through the door. She could not walk and had to be placed in a special contraption to get wheeled out of the house. She would not fit on a normal stretcher. She was unable to use a toilet and had a live in nurse who had to clean her up after going to the bathroom in her bed. We spent about 10k modifying her house and she died several months later. :frown:

nbovelle said:
I work in property management in DC and had a case similar to that a few years ago. We had to modify a house by enlarging the door and replacing the steps with a ramp so that paramedics could get a 500+ pound woman out of a townhouse. She could not otherwise fit through the door. She could not walk and had to be placed in a special contraption to get wheeled out of the house. She would not fit on a normal stretcher. She was unable to use a toilet and had a live in nurse who had to clean her up after going to the bathroom in her bed. We spent about 10k modifying her house and she died several months later. :frown:

See....that is just messed up. I know this sounds cold, but that lady should have had to pay for the modifications to that place. As a business owner, why should you have to foot the $10,000 bill for someone being so obese they cannot get out of their own house??

Back