• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

80s Old skool so cal style.

Just read this on Motion magazine #3
I thought it was hilarious. see how many item speaks you.

You're old-school if you..

1. Used to have a Wink mirror in your car.

2. Had a car that was slammed on heated springs

3. Used to think you were pretty cool if you were driving and your pager went off. What wasn't so hot was pulling over to find a pay phone to call that fool back.

4. Had pin stiping on your ride and taillights.

5. Flicked a toggle switch for your ambers to come on.

6. Rocked either Enkei 92's, Hayashis, or Epsilon wheels.

7. Drove a fixed-up 510, Celica, or Corolla

8. Know what carnival crusing was.

9. Had either a Sonic Turbo muffler or a Stromung as your first exhaust.

10. Copped any of your merhcandise form the OG Pro-Motion upstairs in that tiny box of a shop.

BTW it was 8 for me.

Well this list proves im not old school lol

7 out of 10 for me. I'm too embarrassed to claim which ones. :redface:

What about Han Motoring, Dazz, SSR Super Fins, Nisei Car Show, Battle of the Imports, and of course the DA Integra with the One Piece headlights? This was the world of the 2nd Gen 'old skool'

Only 4 for me but that's because I'm 70's old school. Case in point, I had glasspacks:eek: as my first exhaust. Anyone remember those? Heated springs brought the biggest smile for me from the list.

Last edited:
Well, since I didn't get my license until 1991......:tongue:

'94 for me, but I do remember Pro-Motion.

I think the list would have been something like this for the 90s:

1. Used to have a Broadway mirror in your car.

2. Had a car that was slammed on cut springs (as in cut in half!)

3. Used to think you were pretty cool if you were driving and your pager went off. What wasn't so hot was pulling over to find a pay phone to call that fool back.

4. Had Clear corners or Altezza taillights.

6. Rocked either Racing Sparco, Racing Hart, anything "Racing" wheels.

7. Drove a fixed-up Civic

8. Know what the Battle of the Imports was.

9. Had either a Sebring or a UltraFlo as your first exhaust.

10. Copped any of your merhcandise from Pann Motorsport in San Diego!

7 out of 10 for me. I'm too embarrassed to claim which ones. :redface:

What about Han Motoring, Dazz, SSR Super Fins, Nisei Car Show, Battle of the Imports, and of course the DA Integra with the One Piece headlights? This was the world of the 2nd Gen 'old skool'

haha RYU...I had 3 DA Integras..all with the usual "jdm" nick nacks and the oh so popular one piece headlights. Also add to the list og Work emotions, Racing Hart tracers, C2 3 piece, and Chevlon. :biggrin: How embarrassing I know these things. lol..

Ah, young grasshopper... your elders mastered the fine skill of numeric pager talk. this was the time when writing coherent sentences with the 10-key was required! lol

haha RYU...I had 3 DA Integras..all with the usual "jdm" nick nacks and the oh so popular one piece headlights. Also add to the list og Work emotions, Racing Hart tracers, C2 3 piece, and Chevlon. :biggrin: How embarrassing I know these things. lol..
Don't forget RS-Bs or RS-Betas! wow... that's really bringing it back.

Only 4 for me but that's because I'm 70's old school. Case in point, I had glasspacks:eek: as my first exhaust. Anyone remember those? Heated springs brought the biggest smile for me from the list.
I had glasspacks on my 1986 FC RX-7. One was short 2" because I could not afford a matching pair. I got pulled over almost every month due to excessive volume. What was i thinking! lol

I think the list would have been something like this for the 90s:

1. Used to have a Broadway mirror in your car.

2. Had a car that was slammed on cut springs (as in cut in half!)

4. Had Clear corners or Altezza taillights.

6. Rocked either Racing Sparco, Racing Hart, anything "Racing" wheels.

7. Drove a fixed-up Civic

8. Know what the Battle of the Imports was.

9. Had either a Sebring or a UltraFlo as your first exhaust.

10. Copped any of your merhcandise from Pann Motorsport in San Diego!

Yea the 90's version is what I fit into. Doesn't help that I went to the University of Civics & Integras either... :tongue:

I had glasspacks on my 1986 FC RX-7. One was short 2" because I could not afford a matching pair. I got pulled over almost every month due to excessive volume. What was i thinking! lol

Regan,
I got pulled over alot and got a couple fix-it tickets for excessive noise/modified exhaust. But at the time I worked at a car dealer and was able to put my plates on a truck from the lot that was similar to mine and took it to the local police station to get it signed off:biggrin:. Thank god we had that truck on the lot for awhile because I never could have put my truck back to stock exhaust to get it signed off. It was a 77 Toyota pickup with a 350 chevy small block:eek:, custom headers and glasspacks. I'll have to show you pictures of that beast some day. You will get a good laugh when you see me with my long hair from back then.

Last edited:

10. Copped any of your merhcandise form the OG Pro-Motion upstairs in that tiny box of a shop.

BTW it was 8 for me.

What? No Chastains Shadow Rear Window Louver Covers??!?! :rolleyes:

D'Oh! Started in the 80s :biggrin:

How 'bout 4ag-e corollas dropped on hoshino racing or empi wheels (13 inch) with mini fire extinguishers hanging from the front pillars, and tinted or black painted strip on top of windshield--old-school S.J.(gardena) or Pinoy (l.a.) style???

BTW it was 8 for me.

What? No mention of wind splits? WTF?

dscf3978lp0.jpg

BTW, I'd admit I go back to being old school, but I'm guilty of only 3 items on the list:

4. Had pin striping on your ride and taillights.

On the other hand, my springs were cut, not heated, to go lower. I didn't have 92s, Hayashis, or Epsilons because everyone else had them. I went with Gotti D55D 5-spokes on my 4-lug 83 Supra and 88 Integra, And I also had a glass pack muffler.

I'd also add some more items to the old school list:

11. painted your Rally flag mirrors body color
12. know the difference between Kaminari, Kamei, and Mitcom body kits

Fury,
I had a Kamei spoiler on my "DATSUN". not those spliter tho, it was out of my budget. ha ha.

RYu,
Hans, DAZZ, BoI, Nisei Been there. I had a PowerPulse silencer for my 87 FC.

Hapa,
Altezza lights are in the 2000's. since IS300 is a 2000MY car. which started it all. I had a 2002 is300 5spd.

How about

Go to the junk yard, get some old springs, paint it Blue, TMC yo!

Dobi suspension kits.

Turbo and Tornado Mirror.

pull out radios.

Yup, heated springs on my parents 61 Chevy Impala. I almost got crushed against the rear block wall of the garage when I forgot to block the wheels and the jack failed.

I also had glass packs installed, bored out the piston cylinders of the 61'e 283 engine, installed and pop-up pistons and a mild cam. My dad always wondered why the 61 had a little more pep! We also had tuck-in-roll seat covers installed in Tijuana! LOL

BTW it was 8 for me.

LOL, I'm still rockin my stromung(all the welds are gone) on my daily driver(96 accord, original owner) with my iceman cai, ambers and chirper(chirp-chirp!).

If my racinghart f24's didn't get jacked, I'd still be sportin it(replaced with volk av3's in 98).

I bought my $hit from D-Speed(dirty dan,"please don't lean on the glass"), EPIC and RPM(Willy Rells).

Last edited:
Wow almost had everything listed above here! :biggrin:

Back