• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

9/11 memories

I've been seeing threads on a few local message boards I frequent regarding the morning of 9/11/01 and what people were doing when they found out about the WTC/Pentagon/Pennsylvania attacks.

Anyways, since this board has a more nationwide/international flavor, I'd like to see what other people's stories are. Also, I'm not interested in the politics or conspiracy theories that abound......let's keep this one civil and on-topic.

So, what was happening when you found out about the 9/11 tragedy and how did you react?

I'll share mine to get it started:

My Squadron was flying at nights during that week, and I had worked late the night before. I was awoken by a phone call and one of our OPS clerks told me in a worried voice "just stay at home, and we will call you once we get things sorted out." I asked him what the hell he was talking about, and he told me to turn on the television. I flipped it to CNN just in time to see the first tower fall. I sat there in bed for the rest of the morning with my mouth agape. :eek:

Back at the Squadron, we had jets airborne within 2 hours of the first trade tower being hit, and our pilots spent the day chasing down every Cessna in a 3-state area who didn't get the word to land at the nearest airfield ASAP.

Later on that day, I went in for the first of many 24-hour shifts sitting alert and flying patrols over the southwesern US. It was surreal being only one of a couple of planes airborne in a 3-state area, and coming home to Albuquerque and seeing all of the planes they had lined up on the taxiways since nobody else could fly.

What is your story?

I was at work when a customer of mine called in during our conversation asked if I had heard about the planes flying into the WTC. I thought he was joking with me so I asked the punch line. He then said there wasn't one and that it really happened.
After hearing that I turned the radio on and heard it all over the news. I just sat back and thought of all those people that were losing their lives at that very moment. I felt so helpless. :( Couldn't even imagine the actual terror that was going on in the minds and lives of those people right then. Words can't even begin to put it in perspective.

I was still asleep, my mom in Taiwan called and ask me if I am okay, (she can't tell the difference between NY and CA). for the first minute of the conversion I was :confused: what are you talking about. then I turn on the TV :eek: ...................................... :( sad :confused: what kind of beast would do something like that :mad: time for payback

I was getting ready for a meeting in California, and hopping on a plane later in the day.

I found out about the attacks when I got out of the shower at 6:30am and a friend called to let me know to turn on the TV. I was amazed at what I saw, and thought it was a Hollywood stunt.

Unfortunately it was not, so I called into work later, and found out that our company was shut down for a few days. Nearly 90% of my co-workers flying frequently, and those routes were normal routes for us. It was quite a relief when all my co-workers were safely accounted for, although a few of my co-workers were scheduled to go to the Twin Towers later that day.

I am still amazed at what happened that day, that other humans beings could do such a thing. I will take delight in the day that Osama Bin Laden is killed like the pig that he is. I just wish I could put a bullet in his head...

I was on my way to my 9 o'clock class I had in the morning Physics 2... I remember it like it was yesterday. I didn't know what to really think it more just struck me with awe and after I heard the collapsed my heart sunk. And than I began to wonder about all the family and friends that I have that live in the City, some of whom work on wallstreet. All but one was safe. A friend of mine Kris Hughes who was VP of an equity trading firm on the 89th floor in tower 2. :( http://www.legacy.com/LegacyTribute/Sept11.asp?Page=TributeStory&PersonId=146219 A great rolemodel and will never be forgotten.

Our campus was also shut down being in the close vacinity of WPAFB (wright patterson air force base) here in Dayton, Ohio; one of 2 AF reaserch labs in the USA. The word that classes were cancled and people were to go home took a little while to spread. My one professor was asking what the big deal was and why we were to stop classes for the day.

I was in a board meeting to determine the fate of one of our many facilities. It was an intence meeting due to the seriousness of the outcome. Im not 100% sure of the time but my secretary came into the boardroom in tears to tell us of the news. We asked all employees to come to the boardroom to watch the news and instructed anyone who felt that they need to be with thier families to go home immediately. All the seriousness of the meeting was quickly overshadowed by the deep sadness that was felt for our fellow americans. A day that will never be forgotten. All my heart goes out to anyone here that lost someone that day. Let them not be forgotten.

i live in new jersey and i was working at a hospital and i seen the second plain hit on tv. at first we thought it was a bad pilot but when we seen the second one we new it wasnt. that was one of the craziest days of my life we had to stay at the hospital i work at until around 10 pm all staff had to cause they were bringing people down to the hospital i work at. there was alot of people who had family members in new york at the time and even a few nurses husbands worked in the trade center. it was a sad time

It was a very emotionally numbing day, as the images come across on tv. I think all of us that can post on here are very lucky, let's all remember what happened and appreciate and give thanks to people and things around us that deserve them. Certainly do not mean to lecture, but just heartfelt emotions.

Just came home from work (blockbuster video!) around elevenish pm turned on the tv as reports of the first plane hitting were shown. Being from another country (detachment) it was an amazing development more than anything. Same as watching the recent slaughter of the Russians in the school building. The Bali bombing was more shocking for myself as it hit closer to home (obviously)

I was living in Bergen Co, NJ at the time. Surreal is the only word I can use to describe it. I know it changed me forever, forged some lifelong friendships, and I hope ultimately will do more good than harm for all of us. I sincerely hope that those who have lost loved ones can find some measure of peace and resolution in all this, and that the rest of us can use this as motivation to live more happy and purposeful lives.

Back