• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

90K Service - How long did you wait?

After going over the service records for my '92 NSX, I don't see any indication that the timing belt or water pump have been replaced. According to the manual, these should have been done at 90K miles or the 72 month mark. I'm at 68K miles, but the car's 10 years old now, so I figure it's time to break down and do the work. I have two questions:

1) For those of you with older cars, how long have you waited to get this done?

2) Is there any way that I can check to see if the timing belt or water pump have been changed without pulling the engine apart?

For those of you with older cars, how long have you waited to get this done?

I had mine done after my car (bought new) was eight years old, even though it had less than 40K miles. I didn't want to stretch it any longer than that.

Is there any way that I can check to see if the timing belt or water pump have been changed without pulling the engine apart?

I don't know, but I would be willing to bet that this was never done on 95+ percent of the cars bought second-hand where you were not told by the seller that it had been done.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 27 February 2002).]

Has anyone ever heard of an NSX timing belt actually breaking with age? I know it's not worth the risk, but I'm curious what the real limits are.

No, it can't be checked to see if it needs replacement or not. It takes some work just to get to the belt itself. Once you have gone through the process you may as well replace it.
In addition, these belts are very sturdy. Once the old one was out, it was difficult to tell the condition even with it in my hands. I could have mistaken it for recently replaced one if I didn't know better. Only the Honda lettering being worn off was a clue that it was old.

In that case, I'll be doing my 90K soon. Looks like it's time to divert go-fast money to my stay-fast money fund.

smile.gif

Back