• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

91-94 NSX or 81-87 Lotus Esprit

My price range is around $30k, so I was stuck on buying a NSX or an Esprit. I would like to get the 3.2 rather then the 3.0 NSX not just because of the extrap 10hp but because the block is much stronger then the first generation engine. The downside to this is that the T-Bar NSX has a softer suspension and the handling isn't up to par with the older NSX.

The lotus esprit i want to get is the older Esprit. I like the old school look of the car. It's rated at 200hp 2.2 litre turbo, mid-engine. And the handling on these car is great. Of course the NSX will out burn the older Turbo Esprits on the track, thats not the point of this thread. I like the look but the problem with the esprit is that I cannot put a lot of HP into the car due to the type 910 engine.

Well taken care lotus have great reliability plus lotus has a great racing tradition. On the other hand the NSX is great looker and performance car. I just can't decide which to get. I have also looked into the S4s and v8's but they are just a little bit out of my price range. I've driven both cars, the NSX and the S4s Esprit.

Just a little comparison to the non inform. When it comes to handling betweeen the two, the esprit shines considering that the car is over 25 years old, including the chasis. When it comes down to technology wise, the NSX shines with its electronic stability control and gadgets. There is a difference in the suspension feel too, the NSX is much lighter and understeers a little bit on the corners but the lotus suspension is much harder but oversteers on the corners. These are two great cars but Im really 50.50 on both cars. please help me decide and give me your input please.

electronic stability control and gadgets.

ESC? Gadgets? What NSX did you drive? :biggrin:

Looking at your history on NSX Prime, you've been trying to decide for some time now. Still haven't been able to choose? If you've driven both, and you've already gotten advice here, what else are you looking for?

:smile:

Last edited:
The downside to this is that the T-Bar NSX has a softer suspension and the handling isn't up to par with the older NSX.

I've driven both the coupe and targa. In terms of street ability (handling), I couldn't differentiate the two, but maybe it'll be different on the tracks.

If your budget is set on $30k, NA2s will be difficult to come by.

I just cant decide, older esprits are around $15k-$18k, and older nsx are around $22k-$30k. i like both the looks and handling. Which is cheaper to afford for insurance?

I just cant decide, older esprits are around $15k-$18k, and older nsx are around $22k-$30k. i like both the looks and handling. Which is cheaper to afford for insurance?

I'm no insurance agent. Maybe your insurance agent can answer that question.

Short term, the NSX is cheaper to own. Long term, the Esprit will be cheaper to own because once it burns to the ground you won't have to pay for it anymore.

You've asked the NSX Forum to help you decide, so of course we'll recommend the NSX, else we wouldn't be here. I'm on my 3rd NSX,
so guess what I recommend? I drove an Esprit across the podium at the RM Auction in Monterey three years ago, the clutch was a bear and the interior seemed a little kit-car-ish, like an early Viper.
:smile:

L = Lots

O = Of

T = Trouble

U = Usually

S = Serious

:biggrin:

Lotus_Esprit,
Have you been to the Lotus Esprit forum? What are they recommending?:smile:

Any decent condition NSX is a car.
Any 80's Lotus is a project car.

That about sums it up as to which you want.

Greg Z needs to chime in here

But seriously, ask about car X on X's forum and what answer will you normally get?

X

dude...cmon......your fricken screen name is Lotus_Esprit.........just buy it already and be done............

lol i had to make a second take when i saw the title since there is no comparison between the two.

its like saying.... which one is better, your mom's Focus or a NASA rocket ship.

:D

wont find a 3.2 for 30K.

pass on the lotus. i was looking at a mid 95's for aound 50k about year ago.

its was the twin turbo. great car, electrical problems from hell. im a mechanic, great at wiring and i didnt even want to go digging through wires on that car. i opted out to get the ferrari instead.

there is no compairson between the two. if its a mid 80's lotus. definitly get the nsx. you can put the nsx up to any 08 and the nsx will get more looks and gocks. also the mid 80's lotus looks like a car from the mid 80's. forget about it!

if you want lotus, go elise or mid 90's twin turbo V8. your looking at 50K price tag for the ttv8 tho :D now much $ u got to play with?

Uh, the 3.2 blocks are NOT weaker than the 3.0, if anything it's the other way around. I rented an s4s in Hawaii awhile back. Steering was overboosted, brakes had some kind of issue (very low mileage car), the whine from the cam drive drove me nuts, kit car interior. Great acceleration, but not in the NSX's league IMO, Sorry. You've been here since 2004? You also need to consider, the nsx with intake/exhaust/header is a totally differnt experience than stock. Drive a modded one.

Everytime I see a lotus Esprit on the freeway or maybe cruzing down Hollywood Blvd :tongue: Either it reminds me of that movie Pretty Woman or a dolerean that's trying to reach 80mph to activate the flux compacitor...

delorean-profile-512.jpg

I'd say go with the NSX!!!

So, you joined Prime in September of 2004 and you are still deciding?

What's the real issue?

If money is the issue, then you might want to go w/ the $15-$18K Esprit since it costs less to get.

My price range is around $30k, so I was stuck on buying a NSX or an Esprit. I would like to get the 3.2 rather then the 3.0 NSX not just because of the extrap 10hp but because the block is much stronger then the first generation engine. The downside to this is that the T-Bar NSX has a softer suspension and the handling isn't up to par with the older NSX.

The lotus esprit i want to get is the older Esprit. I like the old school look of the car. It's rated at 200hp 2.2 litre turbo, mid-engine. And the handling on these car is great. Of course the NSX will out burn the older Turbo Esprits on the track, thats not the point of this thread. I like the look but the problem with the esprit is that I cannot put a lot of HP into the car due to the type 910 engine.

Well taken care lotus have great reliability plus lotus has a great racing tradition. On the other hand the NSX is great looker and performance car. I just can't decide which to get. I have also looked into the S4s and v8's but they are just a little bit out of my price range. I've driven both cars, the NSX and the S4s Esprit.

Just a little comparison to the non inform. When it comes to handling betweeen the two, the esprit shines considering that the car is over 25 years old, including the chasis. When it comes down to technology wise, the NSX shines with its electronic stability control and gadgets. There is a difference in the suspension feel too, the NSX is much lighter and understeers a little bit on the corners but the lotus suspension is much harder but oversteers on the corners. These are two great cars but Im really 50.50 on both cars. please help me decide and give me your input please.

You can buy a V8turbo Lotus from high 20's to high 30's. Here is one for sale on prime
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92508

On thing you might want to keep in mind. As nice looking as the late model Lotus turbos are they are....

1. Lotus: experiment gone wrong, a beautiful car.....like a beautiful sunny day with blistering cold wind not very enjoyable.

2. NSX experiment that thrilled exotic car realm. Caught Ferrari ofgaurd.

Look at a 1990 to 1994 Lotus espirit se. In your price range and not a bad car at all. Similar performance to 3 liter NSX. Lotus esprit understeers more than an NSX. 2005 Elise is much better than espirit and can be found for low to mid 30's.

I considered a brand new Lotus since they're about the same price at the 97 NSXs I was looking at. I ended up not going with one simply because of all the problems the owners were reporting. Cars with 300 miles on them not starting randomly. Bolts popping through the bodywork, heater and AC breaking, door locks breaking, etc, etc, etc. The worst was this poor guy drove 3 hours away with his wife to a mall. They were xmas shopping until 10-11pm. They go to get into the car and it doesn't start. It was only a few months old! He called Lotus and all they could tell him was to tow it 5 hours away to the lotus dealer. They called him a tow truck and the first tow truck couldn't load the car. After reading all that, I made up my mind.
I still would love to have one, but not for a daily driver.
All that said, I was researching the 2005+ models. I'm not sure if they had electrical issues and such 27 years ago in the 1981 models.

As far as 3.0 vs 3.2. $30k will get you a 1991/1992 3.0L. For a 3.2L 1997+, you're talking at least mid 40's. The 10 HP isn't hard to find if that's all you're worried about.

One last thing to help you. I've owned and daily drove a 40+ year old Mustang for a long time. I can tell you from first hand experience that you don't want to be in a 27 year old car unless the aftermarket is strong for it, and parts are cheap. Things will break. End of story.
That said, the NSX, being built by Honda, and the best of the best at honda at that. They don't really break very often.

Hi, Lotus Esprit

When comparing sports cars I find it useful to remember the 7 R's of the NSX:

Rare
Rapid
Refined
Reliable
Reasonably priced
Retail support in every city
and...
REALLY good air conditioning! :smile:

Philippe

I guess ill get the nsx then. i think someone miss understood me or i must of wrote it wrong, the 3.2 block is much stronger then the 3.0 block from what people are telling me.
try not to be bias on your comments, because from what i reading on here is favoritism. Yes I know you guys own nsx and all but you have to considered the nsx or is not the greatest car nor is the esprit. i have own a civic and i have no problems whats so ever because i take great care of my cars but on the other hand i had 240zx and its a pain in arse.

to whoever drove the S4s, that car maybe feel like that to you because your not use to driving cars like that. the experience of the individual differs from person to person so does their taste. some like chocolate while others like strawberry.

Last edited:
Back