• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

91 craigslist sale. Info?

Hello Prime,

im highly considering this vehicle I found on Craigslist. Vehicle is in LA and I live in New Mexico. The seller has been the best so far and has gone out of his way with all my special request. It is salvage due to "theft" but no frame or collision is what I have been told. The black headlights make me think different.I did the VIN search with no results. My friend Andy is willing to check out the car for me and I will have a shop do a PPI before I get my one way plane ticket.

does anybody know of this car or have any recommendations for me?

thank you,
Doug

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...122692877.html

VIN: JH4NA1158MT000673

27k for a salvaged nsx? I wouldn't buy it. For 20k possibly. The bumper is pretty hammered and the wings west body kit is peel and stick. Not worth close to 30k. If it looks that bad in pictures I can only imagine what it looks like in person.
Take it from another salvage nsx owner and pass.

I'd pass... There will be better examples that will come up, be patient... I looked every day for two years for my last NSX...but paid off when I found a minty 92 original owner black on black for less then what this one is asking a year and a half ago...

27k for a salvaged nsx? I wouldn't buy it. For 20k possibly. The bumper is pretty hammered and the wings west body kit is peel and stick. Not worth close to 30k. If it looks that bad in pictures I can only imagine what it looks like in person.
Take it from another salvage nsx owner and pass.

Wow.......tough crowd. That bumper is hammered?? I certainly wouldn't agree with that. And since when is one of the nicest looking body kits ever for the NSX, the WW kit, "Peel and stick"? That's hardly a fair and accurate statement.

As far as its worth I agree its overpriced for a salvage car but I would certainly want to know the story behind why it was salvaged.

Wow.......tough crowd. That bumper is hammered?? I certainly wouldn't agree with that. And since when is one of the nicest looking body kits ever for the NSX, the WW kit, "Peel and stick"? That's hardly a fair and accurate statement.

As far as its worth I agree its overpriced for a salvage car but I would certainly want to know the story behind why it was salvaged.
Couldn't have said it better.

I appreciate all of your guys' input. I'm not looking for a mint show room car but I'm also not looking for a total heap. I'm very capable with cosmetics and most mechanical.
I'm quite aware if I'm looking under $30k I will find one that needs some work and I'm ok with that.

Before getting a 1 way plane ticket I'll get a PPI and a compression test. If I get all records and check the last timing belt& water pump service that should help with where the price should be. I also read up about the hoses, slow windows, and a/c conversion so if all those are good then Ill be happy camper.

The salvage has been told to me that is was a theft recovery back in 2004, but no accident, flood, frame, ect.

have any of you seen this car in person?

Thank you you all for your input so far, keep them coming

I appreciate all of your guys' input. I'm not looking for a mint show room car but I'm also not looking for a total heap. I'm very capable with cosmetics and most mechanical.
I'm quite aware if I'm looking under $30k I will find one that needs some work and I'm ok with that.

Before getting a 1 way plane ticket I'll get a PPI and a compression test. If I get all records and check the last timing belt& water pump service that should help with where the price should be. I also read up about the hoses, slow windows, and a/c conversion so if all those are good then Ill be happy camper.

The salvage has been told to me that is was a theft recovery back in 2004, but no accident, flood, frame, ect.

have any of you seen this car in person?

Thank you you all for your input so far, keep them coming
Have you done a car fax yet on it?

Yeah maybe a little too rash. But dude come on, it has multi colored head lights, chipping paint all over the bumper, a single din modified center console, and S2000 seats and it's almost 28,000 dollars. Maybe it's just me but something doesn't seem right to me. I like the w.w. Kits, I just dislike how the rockers and rear are attached.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 125875He gave me a year old one.

Going off of this as a guideline, you may never know just how it was salvaged. It said damaged so one may assume it was damaged enough for the insurance company to scrap it. I enjoy fixing up my salvage car but it truly is a love and hate relationship. I only warn you due to such a high price tag. I'd hate for you to have a terrible nsx experience for 28k. An example, I bought a one way plane ticket to see my car which means I already attached myself to it. What I may suggest you do, but a round trip ticket, go check it out, drive it 70 mph and let go of the wheel to see if it drives straight. Act extremely interested until the end, fly home, then offer him a much lower price when you at home and comfortable.
For referance my salvage was bought for 16k almost half the cost as this. It may not have been as nice as this but it is salvaged. You will never regain what you put into it.

Going off of this as a guideline, you may never know just how it was salvaged. It said damaged so one may assume it was damaged enough for the insurance company to scrap it. I enjoy fixing up my salvage car but it truly is a love and hate relationship. I only warn you due to such a high price tag. I'd hate for you to have a terrible nsx experience for 28k. An example, I bought a one way plane ticket to see my car which means I already attached myself to it. What I may suggest you do, but a round trip ticket, go check it out, drive it 70 mph and let go of the wheel to see if it drives straight. Act extremely interested until the end, fly home, then offer him a much lower price when you at home and comfortable.
For referance my salvage was bought for 16k almost half the cost as this. It may not have been as nice as this but it is salvaged. You will never regain what you put into it.

16K sounds like a good deal but how bad was it? Do you have a thread on it here?

For the OP there are plenty of very knowledgeable guys in SoCal that can probably take a good look at it for you.

16K sounds like a good deal but how bad was it? Do you have a thread on it here?

For the OP there are plenty of very knowledgeable guys in SoCal that can probably take a good look at it for you.
Bro, mine was really really bad. It had a sunroof. However, Mark at pride just delivered to me minutes ago possibly the last seibon roof cap left on the planet. It was a gut wrenching day seeing what was under that custom headliner!
My thread can be searched here, sorry I do not have a link for it. I paid 16 for the car and I am now about 55k deep into it and growing. I cannot stop fixing it. It's a bug!:biggrin: There is always something to fix.

- - - Updated - - -

Bro, mine was really really bad. It had a sunroof. However, Mark at pride just delivered to me minutes ago possibly the last seibon roof cap left on the planet. It was a gut wrenching day seeing what was under that custom headliner!
My thread can be searched here, sorry I do not have a link for it. I paid 16 for the car and I am now about 55k deep into it and growing. I cannot stop fixing it. It's a bug!:biggrin: There is always something to fix.

Here is the link. I am very happy to say, that jalopy moon roof is now in my recycling bin!!!! Will post a new thread soon.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/187682-New-to-prime-posting

- - - Updated - - -

I was so ready to walk away from the purchase of my car, but the car, would not let me. It was abused and crying for help.

Last edited:
Based off of the info and pics it is obvious that we all agree $27000 is high. Some commented that $20000 might be a more accurate price and others commented about purchases under $20000. What would you pay for this car assuming it passes PPI, compression test and is a solid car with a rocky past and in need of cosmetic work?

Based off of the info and pics it is obvious that we all agree $27000 is high. Some commented that $20000 might be a more accurate price and others commented about purchases under $20000. What would you pay for this car assuming it passes PPI, compression test and is a solid car with a rocky past and in need of cosmetic work?
I would say, 20k would be a fair buy. Possibly 22k for pristine condition salvage but this is not pristine. The one question you would want to ask yourself here is, "do I love this car so much that I care not to resell, even if I dump tons of time and money into it"? A salvage is only worth upgrading for your own personal interests and not a would be buyer down the road. As long as you can answer that question to yourself, then bid with confidence buddy. However, there is a few nsx's on eBay for under 30k which are not salvaged. Most of these sit on the market for some time because the owners realize they ask far too much a price for such. I beleive if you set a budget at a max of 30k, you will find a non salvage nsx to enjoy, but it would just take some time. Whichever way you choose, the members and moderators of prime will always be here to help you in your nsx journey.

Too add a quick bit, the bumper paint is chipping and the headlight covers are painted half ass. Formula red is one of the worst colors to color match. So you may want to factor in a respray or wrap job.

Last edited:
Back