• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

91 for 13k?

Heres the deal...

I work at a car dealership(not acura,) this guy just traded in a 1991 NSX. It has 112k miles on it. I dont have the VIN w/ me but I can get it tomorrow. We pulled the carfax on it and it has been in an accident but it has a clear title(no salvage/rebuilt/restored.) The paint is in pretty good shape, interior is decent. There is a 2.5"+ rip in the drivers seat which is probably common with that many miles. The car drives great under 65 mph, but over 65 mph the steering wheel shakes. Is that normal or what could cause that? Also when you first start going you can hear a noise that sounds like it is coming from the right rear tire area that almost sounds like a brake pad is rubbing or something. It isn't a high pitched sound, more like a low brake grinding type sound but it doesn't do it when braking. Only at low speeds and maybe you just can't hear it at high speeds. Mechanically I dont know anything about NSX's but a guy we wholesale cars to checked it out and said it needs new half shafts, what are those and how much would that cost to fix? The A/C blows warm, is it probably just freeon or could something else be wrong? The front hood isn't lined up perfectly so it probably had front end damage.

Bottom line is this, the dealership gave the guy 13,000 for it, I can buy it for $13,500. Is it worth it? If nothing major went wrong with it how much would the maintanence costs be?

Any opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you don't buy it I will. I'm Serious; Cell 310 600-5129 Call me Gil

Put me in line also. That is a steal and I can send a check tomorrow.

13,500K it is really a steal!

- Steering wheels shakes: - could due to tyre is not proper balance or worn. (small $ to fix)
- A/C not cold:- could be cooling coil leaking. (no big deal).
- Low brake grinding type sound from Rear right: - check the tyre and disk rotor for wear :confused:

Hope this little advise help ;)
Do a search and check it is in the snap ring range or not

Spend $200 with a competent Acura mechanic on a lift and find out for yourself what is really wrong. I can easily see $10k in maintenance / repairs (being conservative - could be $15k). Then your 112k well below average 91 is not such a good deal after all.

Do yourself a big favor and get it checked out.

Yep, what might be wrong with it could well add up to 15K, so you ought to have it checked out. On the other hand, at 13K you could part it out and make a few bucks.

What did this guy buy where he took $13,000 for an NSX (even a rough one) on trade-in??

The car sounds like a steal, and if you do it right you can probably make it a great car. People that are shrugging off the A/C as just freon might be overlooking some of the very expensive to fix A/C problems that some NSX's have that can easily run several thousand dollars. The key is to have it checked out at an Acura dealer, and then if it has serious problems consider possibly getting used parts if they are big repairs (like condensers and such). Either way, it would be hard NOT to score on this car even if you just bought it, cleaned it, and resold it to someone else for even $17,000. See what I mean??

By the way...where is this car anyway??

Dude, if that NSX **RUNS** for 13.5 K TAKE IT !!! The previous owner has to be some piece of (sh*t) work to trade it in and only get 13K for it. As long as that car doesn't have any "major' issues you can get 20K for it all day long bro ! Just to let you know, a 91' with 115K miles (that I would say was a 7.5 out of 10) sold for $21,000 off a local indepandant dealers lot a month ago.

PS: If you want to make a quick $500 bucks for nothing...give me the guys/dealerships # and I'll buy it immediately. For $14K (Serious**)

I should know here in a few hours...

btw, the guy traded it in for a 2004 Ford Crew Cab Powerstroke, w/ a lift and bigger tires/wheels.

moabxj01 said:

btw, the guy traded it in for a 2004 Ford Crew Cab Powerstroke, w/ a lift and bigger tires/wheels.

HAHAHAHA!! You have got to be kidding. That is awesome!! :D

To hard to believe

If a deal seems too good to be true than there is usually some thing missing! I would assume that if the customer had enough intelligence to buy an NSX he would have enough common sense to know its value when trading it.

“If” this deal is real, you have the best-USED car manager in the business and he found one of the most ignorant NSX owner in the world!

Re: To hard to believe

vintagecarman said:
If a deal seems too good to be true than there is usually some thing missing! I would assume that if the customer had enough intelligence to buy an NSX he would have enough common sense to know its value when trading it.

“If” this deal is real, you have the best-USED car manager in the business and he found one of the most ignorant NSX owner in the world!

Or you have a car with serious past and present problems that is only worth around $13k.

Good luck - I hope it is a steal and you enjoy many trouble free miles - and not what I suspect/fear.

The least expensive operable NSX ever!

I have been following the NSX market for over eight years. During that time I have never found an operable NSX selling for less than $18K

I apologize if I was pessimistic in my last thread. I am just floored by the $13500 figure!

Best of luck!

moabxj01 said:
Heres the deal...
Bottom line is this, the dealership gave the guy 13,000 for it, I can buy it for $13,500. Is it worth it? If nothing major went wrong with it how much would the maintanence costs be?

That is an amazing deal. Just hope it's not a fraud deal. Did he bring in his orginal license or a copy of one? LOL. I've seen some funny things happen in the car business. I'll give you $16k if you don't want it, including the steering wheell shake. U can spend the $1,500 profit by taking your friends out to a nice dinner.

Damn I remember when I was in the market for an nsx but instead I bought a supra NA well 41k Miles!

But now that I saw this I don't mind buying an nsx

If the deal is still there I WILL GLADLY buy it

But listen up 13K there still has to be remaining problems

Anyways i'm sure you checked it out and found nothing BIG

So if you don't want it let me know ill buy it.

Re: Re: 91 for 13k?

pko5 said:
That is an amazing deal. Just hope it's not a fraud deal. Did he bring in his orginal license or a copy of one? LOL. I've seen some funny things happen in the car business. I'll give you $16k if you don't want it, including the steering wheell shake. U can spend the $1,500 profit by taking your friends out to a nice dinner.

$2500 dollar profit buddy.;)

Superus said:
Damn I remember when I was in the market for an nsx but instead I bought a supra NA well 41k Miles!

But now that I saw this I don't mind buying an nsx

If the deal is still there I WILL GLADLY buy it

But listen up 13K there still has to be remaining problems

Anyways i'm sure you checked it out and found nothing BIG

So if you don't want it let me know ill buy it.

Yea you would be the last in line of like 100 people ahead of you.:rolleyes: . And if he were to sell it I am pretty sure he would try to make a profit.:)

moabxj01 said:

What ever happened with this NSX?

Back