• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

91 NSX on ebay w/only 8400 miles! JH4NA115XMT000254

Re: 91 NSX on ebay w/only 8400 miles!

I think that the reserve is probably higher, closer to 38-39k imo.

The car was purchased for $38k two years ago. With auction fees etc the price came out to $40k. I am surprised that the price jumped as much as it did. Why bid so fast?? The auction has 5 day left. I would estimate that the car is worth $37k-38k and should go in that range. The again why would anyone bid with out knowing the snap ring issue??

Isn't there any other method of obtaining the info, which is public record anyway? Or does Carfax have a monopoly? Someone needs to start a rival company and just charge half of what Carfax does. There's no overhead! It's just a huge racket.

There is Autocheck, which is run by Experian (the credit bureau company).

SOLD, Buy it now for 40k.

Fair deal, but those wheels.. eee:biggrin: ewwwwwwww

SOLD, Buy it now for 40k.

Fair deal, but those wheels.. eee:biggrin: ewwwwwwww

With the 30K/60K/90K services almost certainly not completed and many atypical seals/gaskets that should be replaced considering the low mileage it is very possible another $3,000-$4,000 is needed just to get the car driveable--and that's not even factoring in a possible snap-ring issue. Not to mention the age of the tires...possibly another $1,000--and another $600 for a set of pristine OEM wheels. Who buys a museum piece NSX and keeps those wheels?

When one can find a excellent example of a 1997 NSX with all maintenance done and below average miles for ~$45,000 I'm just amazed at what these older ultra-low mileage NSXs go for.

Wow. I was watching this auction and I am surprised it went for the Buy It Now price. I figured it would go to the end, and settle at a lower number.

I also dont care for those wheels, and it doesnt sound like you get the stock ones with this deal. Based on this car going for this price, why in the world didnt my new car get bid higher? It was on Ebay two weeks ago. What a difference two weeks makes! :)

Wow. I was watching this auction and I am surprised it went for the Buy It Now price. I figured it would go to the end, and settle at a lower number.

I also dont care for those wheels, and it doesnt sound like you get the stock ones with this deal. Based on this car going for this price, why in the world didnt my new car get bid higher? It was on Ebay two weeks ago. What a difference two weeks makes! :)

You've got a point...this one sold for substantially more. The only thing I can think of is that on an NSX it seems that there is a HUGE cutoff at 10,000 miles or under. Almost as if that is the "ultra-low mileage" point as opposed to just "very low" or "below average" point.

This would be somewhat of an explanation but seeing as your car had some extra historical significance that to me should offset the mileage bump. Looking at what you paid your car should have gone much, much higher--at least in the mid-high $30k range. :confused: It seems you got a very good deal indeed.

FWIW: replacing your timing belt/water pump was the right thing to do. Regardless of mileage the TB/WP should be replaced every 6-7 years. They can get old and they can break before 90K miles.

I too was watching this auction and was very surprised it sold for so much. Makes me wonder if it being a past Barrett Jackson car had any influence?

Right now on Ebay there are 21 NSX's for sale (go figure) and two look to be really good deals both being older NA1's.

Jetpilot

Odd thing I was speaking to the dealer all day and had a deal in the works. I too was going to "buy it now" The dealer was going to sell it to me for 38,500
plus shipping. Car was not in the snap ring range etc etc but no major service was complete. I looked into shipping and found the 40k with shipping was a decent price. Had the dealer on the phone went to the computer to buy now and I see the car is sold. It was a surprise to the dealer as well!!
I missed it by 3-4 mins. I thought $38k was a decent price for the car.
I would like to spend $35-36k for something with mileage in the low to mid teens and of course in excellent original condition.
I think that is market value?

John

Ouch, sorry to hear. I wonder if anyone on Prime bought the car? Perhaps it was a LBBP owner who got sick of his color?:)

ya I was really ticked!! But these cars do seem to pop up every few weeks
so I will have to be faster.
John

Ouch, sorry to hear. I wonder if anyone on Prime bought the car? Perhaps it was a LBBP owner who got sick of his color?:)

Don't hate on the LBBP crowd....everyone knows it's the coolest color....period :biggrin:

I like the LBBP. I just don't care for the Mary Kay pink.:biggrin:

If it was a 94 it would be in my garage right now.
Not sure what all the shock is about?
Early A+ Cars go for an easy $35-$40k & this one had super low miles.

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Pricing#Fair_Market_Value

IMHO this guide is spot on for the early cars.
Not so spot on for later cars that are still depreciating.
I know of several lower mi. 91's that sold in the mid to high 30's last year.
Many think about the 25k-27k cars and categorize 'em all in that group.
Big mistake. If you want a no hit, all orig paint, lo mi. example you gotta pay.
There just not that many left.
Not too far down the road, the same folks that are shocked will be kicking themselves for not picking one up when they had the chance.
I am shocked few here have ever seen cars turn.
I am still pissed I didn't pick up an early M3 at the bottom. Did you know the real nice ones are now in the 20's? Pristine cars in the mid 30's?
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searc...ault_sort=priceDESC&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=
That's NSX territory.
Just my 2........
Food for thought........

Last edited:

Hello Folks! This is my first time joining this forum, and I look forward to gaining some great info from this site. I am the guy who bought the NSX. I have been lusting after one since I first read about them in Car and Driver back in 1989. I have spent years wanting one, and have finally got one. I also looked at a 1995 NSX-T with 15K miles, which was gorgeous, but I figured down the road that a pristine 1991 would be highly desirable. I am highly meticulous about all of the cars I own, and look forward to keeping this NSX original and relatively low mileage. I may wind up buying a higher mileage car down the road to play with, but I want to perserve this rare example. Also, I agree that the current rims are really tacky looking, but I did find out that the stock rims and tires do come with the car. I will sell the aftermarkets, keep the stocks in storage and buy an updated set of NSX wheels to make the car look better. I was happy to hear that the transmission was out of the snap range. However, I am aware that a low mileage example may have issues with seals, belts, water pump, etc. Can anyone tell me what to look at for the major service besides the aforementioned, and what the cost is? Thanks in advance for your responses!

Regards,

David

Congrats on the great new car! I just did the Timing Belt, Water Pump, and a Valve Adjustment on my new 91 with 15K on the clock. The timing belt and what not had never been done because of the low miles (despite the fact that the factory says every 6 years or XX,XXX miles). The service was around $3K when it was all said and done. I can't recall the exact amount...

Congrats!
That's a real garage/ trailer queen!

You really should pick up a 2nd one though, they are too much fun to drive & the guilt would kill putting miles & possible nicks on that one. I owned a few survivor Muscle car's.
Owned one for 20 years & added 6000 miles.
Glad I am over it! But am one of the few that understand.

Thanks for the response. My neighbors think I am nuts, but they have come to expect my behavior regarding vehicles. I have a low mileage 2000 Ferrari 360 Modena F1 that comes out about once per month and a yearly event in New Orleans. The Ferrari occupies my garage with an 86 ATC 250r 3 wheeler (looks like new), an 85 ATC 350x, 99 YZF400 and 2000 R1. I am now trying to figure out how to rearrange the toys to fit the NSX in there as well. If I can't fit it, I am going to have to get a weather proof car cover.

Regards,

David

Congrats on the great new car! I just did the Timing Belt, Water Pump, and a Valve Adjustment on my new 91 with 15K on the clock. The timing belt and what not had never been done because of the low miles (despite the fact that the factory says every 6 years or XX,XXX miles). The service was around $3K when it was all said and done. I can't recall the exact amount...

Thanks for the estimates! I figured that I was looking at something close to that amount. I recently spent a pretty penny on my 360 making sure all was good with it. I was lucky in that all updates and recalls had been done and the car was well taken care of. It currently has 16K miles on it.

Congrats on your recent purchase of the George Lucas car. I expected that car to possibly bring more due to the low mileage and celebrity ownership. The wheels look really great on your car. I was searching online today for 94 and up NSX wheels and actually found some really cool wheels on Tire Rack's website. They are 18 inch RO_JAs with black 6 spoke centers and chrome lips. I got to see what they would look like on my car, and it really accented the black roof nicely. I would like to buy them, but I may have to hold off due to the fact I still have to pay taxes and do maintenance updates. I guess I will just stick with the stock wheels for a while. Anything is better than those hiddeous wheels that are on there right now.

Regards,

David

You are going to LOVE your NSX. I am so impressed with mine, and the guys at the car club are asking if they can borrow it. :)

Can I see some pics of your 360? It sounds amazing.

You are going to LOVE your NSX. I am so impressed with mine, and the guys at the car club are asking if they can borrow it. :)

Can I see some pics of your 360? It sounds amazing.

Once I receive the NSX, I will borrow my daughter's camera and post pics of all of the cars together under a new post. The 360 has undergone a few mods (carbon fiber mirrors and air boxes, BMC filters, fabspeed exhaust, 19 inch Hammon Wheels with new pilots).

Regards,

David

Back