• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

91 nsx service

just bought,well actually leased a 91 blk/ivory w/32k onit mint shape, probably spent more than average on it but it was one owner and babied so i went for it . the car was driven 2 to 3 k miles a year and serviced regularly at west chester acura in pa , the only place that worked on the car, but they don't have records of 30k service or t.belt & water pump changed. the question is do i have to do this service right away or i can push it with this kind of milage?

ralph said:
they don't have records of 30k service
The 30K service should be done every 30K miles or two years, whichever comes first. This service should have been done six times already. Are you saying that this car has 13-year-old brake fluid and transmission fluid? :eek:

ralph said:
do i have to do this service right away or i can push it with this kind of milage?
Thirteen years is a LONG time for a rubber part. I would do both services right away.

Congratulations, sounds like an awesome find!

I’m surprised the owner didn’t keep any records. I would highly suggest replacing the timing belt and or water pump. If you had any real idea the service had been competed then you could stretch it out but why? Your out of pocket cost to re-place the belt out weights the high cost of an engine replacement if the belt brakes.

Even with low miles, the belt should be changed with in the 1st eight to ten years, I thing? You have already stepped up to the plate, I suggest spending a little extra to protect your investment and give yourself piece of mind.

Enjoy!

the original owner traded the car on a lambo gallardo to f.c.kerbeck in nj he left most of the records in the car and the fluids,oil etc. service has been done regularly but no spark plugs or valve adj. , and i guess you guys are right i should bite the bullit and do it , if i've known of this may be i should have gotten a couple of grands off the high price but you know how it is when you buy from a lambo, aston martin and bentley dealer, and i think i will use larry b , every one recomended him.

ralph said:
the original owner traded the car on a lambo gallardo to f.c.kerbeck in nj he left most of the records in the car and the fluids,oil etc. service has been done regularly but no spark plugs or valve adj. , and i guess you guys are right i should bite the bullit and do it , if i've known of this may be i should have gotten a couple of grands off the high price but you know how it is when you buy from a lambo, aston martin and bentley dealer, and i think i will use larry b , every one recomended him.

Larry B is the man! You're in safe hands there.

vintagecarman said:
Even with low miles, the belt should be changed with in the 1st eight to ten years, I thing?
Honda's recommendation in the owner's manual and service manual is 90K miles or 6 years, whichever comes first. Stretching it (no pun intended) a year or two is one thing, but it is now seven years overdue! :eek:

ralph said:
the fluids,oil etc. service has been done regularly but no spark plugs or valve adj.
Aha, that makes more sense. As far as whether to do those other parts of the 30K service, I would rely on Larry B's recommendation regarding whether or not the time interval is relevant. (Incidentally, the spark plugs are not part of a 30K service; their recommendation is every 60K miles or 6 years.)

thanks a lot guys, she is realy a babe and after a 993 carrera it just feels much more superior, i guess my last inquiry would be was $34k a crazy price to pay for this mint 91 without the service or am i still in the range ( forgetting of course the book value and all that other stuff)? thanks again guys i will be in touch with larry asap.

nsxtasy said:
The 30K service should be done every 30K miles or two years, whichever comes first. Are you saying that this car has 13-year-old brake fluid and transmission fluid? :eek:

O-oh... I would listen to this post :D

I'd change the main water hoses also. I think time impacts rubber more than miles. I had one break on my '91 - it's easily fixed but can make a mess + cost of a tow.

Other than the usual aging issues, your NSX will be around for a long long time. Mine has 107K miles and most people think it's a new car.

ralph said:
thanks a lot guys, she is realy a babe and after a 993 carrera it just feels much more superior, i guess my last inquiry would be was $34k a crazy price to pay for this mint 91 without the service or am i still in the range ( forgetting of course the book value and all that other stuff)? thanks again guys i will be in touch with larry asap.

I dont think the price is that bad if the car is in mint condition cosmetically and engine is ok. But i bet if you knew about the 30k mile service b4 the purchase you could have gotten something off the original price.By the way what part of the northeast are you in ?

Back