• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

91 with 02 wheels

I got my 2002 wheels put on today. A big thanks to mikescg for wanting new wheels on his 02 and giving me a great deal on the originals.

Attachments

• 2002_wheels_1.jpg
    2002_wheels_1.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 911
It looks very nice. At first I wasn't too sure about the 02+ rims, but now I really like them. I think I may try and get a set one day.

People have mentioned that due to the 91-96 caliper design and location that the 02+ rims would not fit the front without a spacer or a 97+ caliper retro fit. Did you do either of the two? If so, which route did you take? Thanks.

caz-nsx... sortta looks good, but do you have any photos taken outside? Your NSX is toooo black (if there is such a thing :D) also, how does the steering & braking feel? ...for those who have missed mike's post, check out <A HREF="http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16609">mikescg new rims</A> which are totally awesome & unique IMHO.

hey my old wheels look great on your car!, i'm really glad you're happy with them.

and Neo thanks for the compliment!!!

I dont like the majority of aftermarkets ive seen--but i really like those? Would you mind telling us weight, cost, where you found them? Very nice.

Like the new stocks too--i thought about doing that with my 91.:)

ChrisK,

I added 5mm spacers, front and rear.

NeoNSX,

The sun was setting and I didn't really have time to get good shots. Maybe next weekend.

mikescg,

They do look good don't they. I hope to see you at some of the New England meets this year.

huckster,

I got the 02 wheels from mikescg, they were listed on the forum a few weeks ago. I belive they are pretty lightweight. They are forged. I believe they are made by BBS, at least thats what the valve caps have embossed on them.

Simply Amazing!!

I'm jealous, I had to buy from a dealer to get my '02 NSX wheels, the whole package set me back $4K+.

The front wheels weigh 17.35 lbs, and the rear wheels weigh 20.00 lbs.

Although I am proud to be the 1st NSX owner (also known as the guinea pig) to install the '02 NSX wheels on my pre-97 NSX and found out it didn't fit w/o spacers or a '97+ brake upgrade. Glad I contributed in some way to the NSX community! Awesome set up!

caz-nsx said:
NSXGeek!,

I used the H&R Hubcentric spacers/adapters. They seem to do the job.

I trust you installed the longer studs that come with the H&R's. It is my experience that you can't get 6 full turns (minimum required) on the lugs with the standard studs when employing a 5mm spacer.
For anyone else considering doing this, this is by no means a trivial task - the fronts are a reasonable undertaking as the front hubs are relatively easy to remove. Dano has an excellent write-up on his "how-to" site.
http://www.danoland.com/nsxgarage/index.html
The rear hubs are a different story however - just getting them off is a major event, due to the 260 ft-lb torque on the 36mm hub nut. Then of course, not everyone has a torque wrench in their tool-box to re-torque them to that level!
I speak from experience - I was going to use the H&R with my old wheels: after trying to break those 36mm nuts with the aid of a 6 ft pipe as extension to my breaker bar and still could not move them, I gave up on the idea! (New wheels don't need a spacer which is my preference anyway.) It was recommended to me by Gerry Johnson that an air-powered impact tool is necessary to break those free.
Anyway, just a heads-up that the spacers are not necessarily a straight-forward install but certainly do-able if you have the correct tools, or better yet, have them professionally installed.

I am using the longer studs that came with the kit.

FYI - I did experiment with the spacers without the longer studs. I got 8.5 turns on the front and 7.25 on the rear. The H&R kit states that at least 6.5 are required.

Caz - are those # of turns with the new or original studs?
I found on the rear that I was barely at 6 turns with a 3mm spacer, never mind the 5mm.
Of course I would imagine the wheel itself would play some part in how many turns, depending on the thickness of the part of the wheel that bolts up. I hadn't considered that in my original post.

D'Ecosse,

Those are on what I thought were the original studs. I just got a call from Acura service and they recommend keeping the current ones in. Maybe mine had already been changed to a longer version. I also checked on tirerack and they list 6.5 turns for 12mm x 1.5 mm threads.

The other thing I noticed is that there are only 9 threads inside the lug nuts that came with the new wheels. The old ones were threaded all the way to the bottom, 12 or 13 maybe. Once you get to the 9th thread it doesn't do any good to have longer studs since there is nothing left to grab on to.

caz-nsx,

Looks great! I have the same on my 1994, only I got the rims for free. :D

The previous owner wanted to keep his rims to put on his 02 NSX and he threw in the new rims on my car at no extra charge. (Thanks John!)

They look so awesome and the bright silver/metallic color compliments the bright red paint on mine. I bet it looks just as stunning with a black car!

Back