• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

92 NSX black on black

Hi Prime, I am newbie here.

I spotted a 92 NSX black on black in Novato, CA Ford dealership.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/ctd/4507612748.html

VIN: JH4NA1151NT000192

The car in the pics looks great, but the tranny is in the snap range. I was told that the asking price is between $36-38K. How much will you negotiate given the uncertainty with the tranny longevity?
I was told by a certified NSX technician that I should avoid 91/92 because even new transmission case is hard to find these days.

Any thought,

-- william

If the 90k Maintenance is done then 36K OTD price is good if not prepare to put aside 2k~ for the service. Mines in the snap ring range but it still good. some will have problem some will not just put aside some money for it just in case. Buy it if you like to own a timeless classic .

Thanks Jizheng! for the possible tranny repair/rebuild. How much money do you recommend to be reserved for that? The Prime's wiki tranny page suggested ~$3K few years ago.

i got quoted $1800 for just the snap ring. maybe if they do a whole rebuild then probably 3k but 30k miles shouldn't need a rebuild from what i read from folks here.

Last edited:
My car is in snap ring range as well. Don't let it scare you. Doesnt mean it will break. Know what the symptoms are and enjoy the car :biggrin: good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

heated seats? :cool:

I see a fair amount of scratches in the photos. Definitely inspect in-person and run a car-fax.

As a point of reference, My 92 NSX was in snap ring range as well. The snap ring subsequently failed around 50k miles in 2005.

Oh one question on pre-purchase inspection. If buying car from dealer, is it reasonable to ask for inspection done in other place? like closest Acura dealer etc?

^^^ IMO you always get a PPI from someone not vested in the purchase. The dealer should have no problem with this request and if they do then they might be trying to hide something.

Last edited:
Depending on the dealer, but that would be a very wise choice to do, Don at Hilltop should be the shop to take it to for PPI in the area.
Heated seat? Must be aftermarket addition

Well at the end, I didn't check out this car. The sales wanted me to settle for the final price before I can test-drive the car and I don't feel comfortable with that approach. I guess it is common method to avoid joy-riders. will keep looking others...

Back