• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

92 nsx intermittent no start

Hey guys,

Need some help as my car is at the my dealership and they are having no luck figuring out what is wrong with the car.

long story short, I was driving down the freeway coming going up a hill, car starts to stuble and hesistate like its out of gas or not getting enough gas... tried to step on gas pedal and the car wouldnt go any where so i had to let it coast to the gas station where the car finally shut off.. opened up my hood to notice that a bypass hose coming from the fast idle valve connecting to the idle air control valve was bubbling and leaking coolant... so i waited to let the car cool down, it fired back up and was able to drive a good 2-3 miles before it sputtered and and turned off like i ran out of gas.. got the car towed home.. it fired right up with no problems... then the next day it wouldn't fire up.. didn't hear the fuel pump priming... hit the main relay quite a bit of times with no luck... had the car towed to the dealership and the tech tapped on the main relay and car fired up right away.. tech said it was main relay so we ordered up a new switched it out car started up fine... drove the car home then back to work the next day and it was fine until i had to go home.. the car wouldn't start in the parking lot.. it would crank but no start... the tech tried to put another main relay in and it did the same thing, we didn't hear the pump priming up... check fuses and then we go and check fuel pressure which there was none.. had to push the car back to the dealership, the tech tested all the pins where the main relay connects and fuel pump relay connects.. they were all in spec.. so the next day the car fires up and its been firing up for the past week with no issues... the tech called tech line and i also called shad at driving ambition.. shad said it doesn't sound like a fuel pump problem.. and the tech line is suggesting there is garnish in the fuel tank that could cause the no start... the tech is aiming towards driving the car as is or changing out the fuel pump? What do you guys think i should do in this situation.. FYI car has been starting for a good 35-40 times now... been driven around for about 5 miles.. any help would be appreciated.. thanks

parts changed so far.

main relay, ignition switch, fuel pump relay..

parts changed so far.

main relay, ignition switch, fuel pump relay..
When the fuel pressure was zero did you measure the voltage supplied to the fuel pump?
If you still have the original fuel pump in your '92 then it could be a good source to cause those issues, even more a you've changed already the most common parts.

When the fuel pressure was zero did you measure the voltage supplied to the fuel pump?
If you still have the original fuel pump in your '92 then it could be a good source to cause those issues, even more a you've changed already the most common parts.

tech tech didn't get a chance to check it... i have a fuel pump on order but not sure if i should have it replaced.

I think the fuel pump Relay only operates for high pressure control and the rest of the time the fuel pump Resistor is in the circuit instead of the relay.
Things to check.

Fuse
Bad connection in wiring
Main Relay
Fuel pump Resistor
ECM
Fuel pump

If it happens again check for voltage at the pump and try resetting the ECM. The service manual tells you how to test most of these items.

Mike

it occurs when the vehicle is hot or cold...really random when it occurs..techs thought it was a heat issue so they drove it around and got back and it still fires up

Looks like main relay related, happened to me... check connector contacts might be dirty or burn, or an open wire in the main relay harness.

update - Took fuel filter out and black gas came out of it, Drained gas tank and gas looked normal... we are dropping the tank as i type to make sure everything is fine.

did ur car not get driven in a long time?

if so, the gas, like what happened with my NSX could have delaminated or seperated.

It clogged up my fuel system.

I had to get hte injectors cleaned and new fuel filter.

and then for safe measures, ran 2 bottles of clean power and a bottle of redline SI-1 injector cleaner and no issues after that.

the ground for the fuel pump in take was stripped, had a AIRTEX E8119 fuel pump in there, guessing the owner before me went cheap

Back