• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

'94 or '97

bb6

Registered Member
I was just curious to know for those that have an opinion, is the 1997 NSX worth the added >$10K premuium over a similar 1994 NSX, all things being equal [eg. milage, condition, etc.]
Im speaking towards the 6-speed tranny, brakes, and of course larger displacement motor, among the various chassis differences.
But, Im assuming the '94 is an OBD1 car, and the '97 would be an OBD2, so the '94 should be a little more responsive to modifications.
Im currently in the market and am having a case of indecsion, so if any of you NSX experts could give me some of your opinons, I would greatly appreciate it!
Thank you in advance!

this has recently been discussed in another thread, I couldn't quickly locate it but perhaps the forums nazi can.

I really dont see the reason to pay the extra $$ to buy a 94 instead of a 91, unless you are looking for the t.

lets put it this way, if I had it to do all over again - I have a '98 with some go fast parts - I would have bought a '91 and used the money saved for go fast parts and my car would already be a track car.

however, it really depends what your goals of ownership are. the problem is, mine changed after I bought my car. if you are only looking to street the car, look good doing it, and maybe hit the track 1 or 2 times a year, the >97 is the way to go. but if you are looking to turn it into a track car, get a 91 or 92.

Originally posted by bb6:
I was just curious to know for those that have an opinion, is the 1997 NSX worth the added >$10K premuium over a similar 1994 NSX, all things being equal [eg. milage, condition, etc.]...

If you are looking for a tighter feeling car, the '94 is better. The '97+ cars are definitely a bit faster and have the added benefit of power assist steering.

Originally posted by justin hall:
I really dont see the reason to pay the extra $$ to buy a 94 instead of a 91, unless you are looking for the t...

The extra dollars are very minimal between a '91 or '94. Also, looking at the build dates, a '91 is now 10 years old. Personally, I'd rather own a seven year old car.

-Cheers

bb6,

I second Justin's.
If you are a track rat, definitely get the 94 or older, since it will be almost impossible to find 97+ coupe with extra $10k. As nice as the targa looks, there is no substitute for the loss of A-pilar. The coupe will always be stiffer than Targa. If you are looking for a spirited driving toy, this is where you have a bigger dilemma. If $10k is a lot of money to you, ie. if you questioning yourself to spend the money or invest it, get 94 or older.

I dont necessarily agree with Dr.Lane's theory of 7 VS 10 years old. No flame, Dr. Lane. I have a 1991 that's cleaner, tighter, and more original than most 94, or even 95+ that I've seen here around SoCal. If you are looking for an older one, Look for the cleanest, tightest, accident free coupe, you can find. Mileage is sometimes a good indicator of the condition, but not always. A lot of cars out there have more mileage than indicated.

But yes, ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL(if the condition and the mileage is comparable) I would cough up the extra couple of grands to get 94 versus 91.

Thank you all for your replies! Also, let me give a little more detail. I plan to use the car as my daily driver, and to track ever so often [3-5 times/year], so it wont be relegated only for track duty.

What I am most curious about, however, is the difference b/w driving the 3.0L 5spd, and the 3.2L 6spd, is additional the ~20 crank hp really all that noticable?Is the gearing all that different, final drive ratio perhaps?
Thank you again..

[This message has been edited by bb6 (edited 13 October 2001).]

[This message has been edited by bb6 (edited 13 October 2001).]

The 20 extra hp and the six-speed are significant but not overwhelming, (with an improvement of perhaps a third of a second 0-60). The gearing is very nice, with closer-spaced gears. The final-drive ratio is the same (4.06) in both cases.

However, the NSX-T weighs more than the coupe, by roughly 150 pounds as I recall, offsetting much of the power/gearing advantage. And, of course, it does not have as much structural rigidity as a coupe.

Also keep in mind that some organizations that hold track events will not permit open-top cars such as the NSX-T to participate.

Bottom line, I think, is that the '94 coupe would be better for track use, and the '97 NSX-T would be better for street use. I think 3-5 track events per year is frequent enough that I would advise getting the coupe.

Another option might be to look for one of the '99 Zanardi NSX's, since these are all coupes with the 3.2-liter engine and the six-speed. Could be the best of both worlds for you.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
The 20 extra hp and the six-speed are significant but not overwhelming, (with an improvement of perhaps a third of a second 0-60). The gearing is very nice, with closer-spaced gears. The final-drive ratio is the same (4.06) in both cases.

However, the NSX-T weighs more than the coupe, by roughly 150 pounds as I recall, offsetting much of the power/gearing advantage. And, of course, it does not have as much structural rigidity as a coupe.

ken, I am going to have to respectfully disagree with most of what you are saying. The power difference is quite noticable, and there is no huge gap between 1st and 2nd, or 2nd and 3rd.

Also keep in mind that some organizations that hold track events will not permit open-top cars such as the NSX-T to participate.

then just put the top on.

Bottom line, I think, is that the '94 coupe would be better for track use, and the '97 NSX-T would be better for street use. I think 3-5 track events per year is frequent enough that I would advise getting the coupe.

I think that is infrequent enough to get the t. Guess it is all a matter of perspective on what one considers "frequent".

Another option might be to look for one of the '99 Zanardi NSX's, since these are all coupes with the 3.2-liter engine and the six-speed. Could be the best of both worlds for you.

great idea

I am going to have to respectfully disagree with most of what you are saying. The power difference is quite noticable, and there is no huge gap between 1st and 2nd, or 2nd and 3rd.

We're not disagreeing.

The power difference is significant (with 0-60 times improving by roughly a third of a second) and noticeable (your word) but not overwhelming (doesn't improve them by a full second). I'm sure it would be more noticeable if it weren't for the weight penalty.

Your comments about the gears are repeating what I said - the six-speed has nice, closely-spaced gears.

then just put the top on.

The organizations I'm referring to (for example, many chapters of BMW CCA) won't permit open-top cars such as the NSX-T to participate, regardless of whether the top is on or removed.

The organizations I'm referring to (for example, many chapters of BMW CCA) won't permit open-top cars such as the NSX-T to participate, regardless of whether the top is on or removed.

That's pretty interesting I didn't know that. The local BMW CCA in Portland will let you run with the top on. I don't know about the top off though. However a friend is able to run his Elise without any top but he has a full roll cage so that may be why.

How about this idea...

Get an early model NSX('91-'92), and with the money you saved by not getting the '97, you can buy performance goodies like:

-short gears($1050)
-R&P($1895)
-I/H/E($2500+-)
-springs/shocks($800)
-sway bars($300)

With these mods, he should have a faster, quicker, lighter, more nimble car on/off the track than a stock '97, and still be a reliable daily driver.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still learning.
smile.gif
I just thought I'd throw this in as food for thought.

------------------
Richard
NSXTASY

[This message has been edited by Veleno (edited 14 October 2001).]

hal, you are right about the roll cage and the elise. no way your friend could run with bmw cca without one.

I have run with bmwcca with my top on without a roll cage as I dont have one - yet.

Here is a question off the subject for those that question rigidity of the t chassis. would a roll cage increase rigidity? As I have said many times in the past, I think Acura did a nice job of reinforcing compared to earlier t's. Mine is a '98 which is why I perhaps dont notice some of the issues others with earlier t's have.

BMW CCA policy varies from chapter to chapter. Some chapters don't allow open-top cars. Some chapters allow open-top cars but only with full roll cage. Some chapters allow open-top cars.

I don't know the policy for every chapter. I do know that Windy City Chapter (Chicago) and Buckeye Chapter (southern Ohio), each of which puts on three track events per year, do not allow an open top car in their events (I'm not sure whether it's okay with full roll cage or not).

Here is the policy for the Golden Gate Chapter in Northern California, which you can see from the application for their upcoming school at Laguna Seca:

"Convertibles and T-top cars must have 5-point belts and arm restraints, and an approved roll bar installed - factory 'rollover protection' for a soft top is not sufficient for the school. Hard tops for convertibles are NOT OK."

Justin, if this is the chapter you previously ran in, perhaps they did not realize that you had an NSX-T?

I certainly wouldn't want to show up at a school with a car they didn't allow, and cross my fingers hoping they didn't notice.

I don't know what the policy is for PCA or other clubs.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 14 October 2001).]

Please note that I was not condoning the policies of those groups that hold track events and prohibit the NSX-T from participating, even with the roof panel in place. In my experience, the rules that govern these events are often capricious. One chapter will demand that you wear long sleeves, but won't check your trunk before you go out on the track. Another chapter will let you wear shorts, but will complain to high heaven if you have so much as a piece of paper in the trunk. You get the idea.

However, each group running a track event is entitled to make its own rules, whether they make sense or not.

Actually, I find it surprising that a club for a marque with so many open-top cars (Z3, M roadster, M3 convertible, Z8) would prohibit them from participating in its track events. But still, it's up to them to make that decision.

Originally posted by justin hall:

Here is a question off the subject for those that question rigidity of the t chassis. would a roll cage increase rigidity? As I have said many times in the past, I think Acura did a nice job of reinforcing compared to earlier t's. Mine is a '98 which is why I perhaps dont notice some of the issues others with earlier t's have.

Bolt on cages very rarely increase the rigidity of the car. Unless it is custom make with all the bar very close to all the panel, which will be very hard to make.

Weld in cages will, assuming the pilar are welded to the bar. Evn this the structural rigidity is minimal, unless the cages are tied to the suspension.

The problem with weld in cages are NSX made of aluminum, and cages are made either with mild steel or cromoly. Welding 2 different material is simply impossible.

I've driven a 98 or is it a 2000 targa in the track with the top on. I thought it is very nice and didn't notice big difference in handling. The cowl is not as strong, but the car as a whole is very rigid. The power difference and the 6 speed is definitely a plus.

Back