• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

95 NSX-T - need advice... accident or age? jh4na1189st000317

hey everyone,

I just got back from inspecting a 95 T. My friends and I made a day of it - carravaning (a M3 and a Camaro) out to the seller's place.

Here was the original Ebay Link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ory=5337&item=4534306600&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

vin = jh4na1189st000317

Clear Carfax...

But upon close observation of the car, we found the following issues:

COSMETIC:
- front passenger head light -- has wear/scratch marks on the left front corner... looks like it was damaged and grinded against the light housing?
- front side light -- broken -- lamp replacement?
- front bumper to body connection point/seal -- passenger side is about eight inch lower... driver side is flush.
- gas cover has uneven gap on top
- rear wing - left and right side has uneven gap's
- rear wing - color slightly off from body
- rear (not tail) light -- has paint on the pastic parts around hte lamp.

MECHANICAL:
- Oil Pan seals?? the car is leaking oil a little
- ticking sound in engine -- like a sewing machine. (valve timing adjustment needed)?
- Clutch change required? -- not slipping, but feels very high.

INTERIOR
- driver interior door is not flush with rest of dash board - compared with the passenger door. (by the vent).

The multiple "questionable" external and internal issues lead me to think that the car was maybe repaired??? I mean - IMHO, the door should be flush with the dash -- no matter the age of the car. Do you guys think it was repaired?? or it is just age???

Also - the "ticking" sound from the engine -- my friend suggested an issue with the timing on the valves. Has anyone experienced the ticking? It almost sounds like a Fan or something hitting something (at a low speed)

I will be taking it to an Acura Dealership 2morrow and have the compression & used car inspection done on it.

Will post more after the tests...

Thanks for all your help in advance. Its great to have a place to bounce ideas and share experiences.

PS. The seller was great - answering our questions and allowing us to test the vehicle. Unfortunately, it looks like the previous owners MAY have involved this car in an accident??? Thanks for the great day and dinner recommendation Joel :)

I would say it might have been in an accident. Most of the things you mention could be signs of an accident. Or, it's possible that these are little things that just went out of adjustment, which happens sometimes. You might want to take it to an experienced body shop to get their opinion. (Schaumburg Auto Body in Schaumburg/Roselle, Acura of Libertyville, and the Last Detail in North Chicago all have NSX body work experience.) Although a really experienced mechanic can usually spot body work, too - particularly if you specifically ask, and point out your area of concerns.

Specific comments...

identraveler2 said:
- front bumper to body connection point/seal -- passenger side is about eight inch lower... driver side is flush.
That's not uncommon, and doesn't necessarily indicate an accident.

identraveler2 said:
- rear wing - left and right side has uneven gap's
I'm pretty sure that's adjustable.

identraveler2 said:
- Oil Pan seals?? the car is leaking oil a little
Could be the cam seals. Have it checked by the experienced dealer mechanic.

identraveler2 said:
- ticking sound in engine -- like a sewing machine. (valve timing adjustment needed)?
- Clutch change required? -- not slipping, but feels very high.
Both normal.

identraveler2 said:
I will be taking it to an Acura Dealership 2morrow and have the compression & used car inspection done on it.
I assume you are taking it to one of the two dealerships in the Chicago area with a lot of NSX service experience - Woodfield Acura in Hoffman Estates, or Pauly Acura in Highland Park. Both service a lot of NSXs (particularly Ted at Woodfield, Chuck and Craig at Pauly) and can give you an expert opinion on the car, based on their ability to look for things they've seen on other cars. I wouldn't have the same level of confidence at any of the other seven Acura dealers in town.

If it works out, bring it to our May 21-23 NSX Club event!

Last edited:
Thanks for the great feedback!!!

The seller is in Indiana - and I am going to Ed Martin Acura - Indianapolis later today... Wish me luck... and I hope to see you all at the next event :)

Last edited:
Back