• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

99 door locks

Just got a 99. Key on driver's side won't lock or unlock the door. Key works fine on passenger side to lock/unlock.
Can lock/unlock with remote fob.

What needs replacing in driver's side door to make the key lock/unlock?

Three possible candidates:

The lock cylinder is broken
The linkage from the lock cylinder to the latch has popped off
The latch is broken.

If you can turn the key in the lock cylinder; but, nothing happens then the lock cylinder is probably OK. Its likely that one of the retainers holding the links (there are two - its a bell crank arrangement) to the latch has popped off allowing one of the links to drop out of place. If you can't turn the key freely in the lock cylinder, then the cylinder may be jammed and replacement is in order (this also requires re keying). Its the pins in the cylinder that usually wear and jam so you might be able to get away with just having a locksmith replace the pins. If the cylinder turns freely and the links are in place then it could be the latch - ouch because there are no user serviceable parts and its rather expensive. Given your symptoms, I would put money on the missing link.

Regardless of the cause, you are going to be doing the deep dive into the door cavity to check things out. Get a copy of the service manual or at least the section describing removal of the interior panel because there are a few hidden screws and items that are not obvious. If you search Prime, I do recall a thread with pictures covering removal of the interior door panel. When you reassemble the door panel, go easy on tightening the screws on the plastic tabs around the outside edge of the door panel. Get too enthusiastic with tightening and it is easy to snap the tabs off.

Old Guy has it right.

Here is the DIY on door panels (My DIY from 18 years ago; I fear I am older than Old Guy)
https://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/bose_rr.htm

Inferring from your description: it sounds like the key doesn't turn the tumber assembly. If your key is not damaged or worn, then look up your fav "Honda rekey lock" DIY with your fav search engine.

On other vehicles, I have simply removed damaged/bent/wrong pins/plates and just left it at that. If you remove them all, then any key that fits will turn the lock, if you leave some plates/pins then a random key may turn your lock. I have not messed with the NSX lock, but I would presume you could rob parts from many Honda's locks that used the same key blank. Personally, I just remove bent plates as the odds of somebody trying a random key to unlock my car is so remote that it makes no odds...they would likely use a screw driver and just force the lock regardless.

Last edited:
Thanks. This is my car, can turn key both ways but nothing happens: If you can turn the key in the lock cylinder; but, nothing happens then the lock cylinder is probably OK. Its likely that one of the retainers holding the links (there are two - its a bell crank arrangement) to the latch has popped off allowing one of the links to drop out of place.

Probably won't do anything just now. I will use the IR remote anyway to open the door but wanted to know what was wrong. This problem wasn't disclosed by seller or IDed by inspection but in buying an old car the NSX being my 7th buy I expect to find some small problems.

BTW took it for a 250 mile round trip today.

Last edited:
Back