• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

99 keys

I've read many posts on prime about keys but not any recently written. So here goes. Immobilizer keys
started in 97.

My 99 arrived with a black key and a grey key(valet). It was missing one black key and the red key.
Very few Acura/Hondas came with a red key.

I tried to get a black key copied and found out there are two ways to do it.

Program the immobilizer for the new key
Purchase a replacement key part number 35113-sz3-a03. However I didn't know the red key which I don't have is
needed to program the immobilizer. The dealer will then program the immobilizer to accept the new key.
I paid $67 for a key that will only open the doors and trunk because I don't have the red key to program the immobilizer. If I had
the red key the dealer would hook his immobilizer program up thru the OBDII port and make the key work. Acura wanted an additional
$150 for service to program the immobilizer. Instead I went to a locksmith for the programming but since I didn't have the red key he couldn't program the immobilizer. He gave me the key he cut that wouldn't start the car but would open the doors. However the combination of the grey key and my new key will both start the car(grey key) and open the trunk(new key.)

Copy a black or grey key
The Acura dealer could have read the service bulletin announcing an IIco immobilizer key duplicator machine
is available to copy the keys. Apparently my dealer didn't read it or have one. This machine makes a copy
of the immobilizer chip in the duplicate key without touching the immobilizer. The dealer would order different replacement keys.
A local hardware store can copy the key for $70.

Decided after all this drama that I'll use the black key I have and put a door only key on the same key chain as the grey key.
If I lose the black key I'll get a copy of the grey key. Difference between the black and grey key is part of the grey key is thicker
so it only works in the ignition.

Last edited:
Dealers can only use Authorized Procedures and Parts from their supply chain. Nothing else.

Plenty of other options for you:

1. There are several full switch and key sets on Ebay for $500. This includes the Red Key. Search: "Ignition Lock and Cylinder Switch NSX"

2. Bypass immobilizer from inside the ECU. Search on Ebay/Aliexpress: "Honda Immobilizer Replacement Board", or "Immo Emulator". Cost: ~$15. Now you can use the cool monel key.

3. Dummy up immobilizer with an existing key
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/36782-Using-the-Metal-NSX-key-w-the-Immobilizer-system

Copying keys is in an Acura service bulletin.

Attachments

• NSX_key_copy.pdf
    117.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
When I purchased my 2000, I had the same issue. Only one regular key plus a valet key and no learning key. I wanted a spare in addition to the valet key so I went to a local locksmith and they cloned the regular key. Price of the blank with immobilizer and cutting and cloning was around $50 Cdn, so a touch less than $40 US. Shop around, $70 US seems a bit high.

Last edited:
My home depot would only clone the key if you bought it from them. It was like $60 for a generic key and cloning. Works great as a back up though.

I have the red key too, but cloning is just so much easier. It's also still sealed and I wanted to keep it that way.

Given that most new owners do not appear to read the owners manual, hiding the red learning key far, far, far away would be a good thing. There have been a couple of reported cases of owners, after having lost or misplaced the conventional keys deciding to try to use the red key to start the car. That generally screws things up good and requires a tow to the dealership.

Back