• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

996 brembo brakes on an NSX?

Hi, has anyone used a set of Brembo brakes off of a 996 on an NSX? I have two from calipers, pads, and rotors just sitting here collecting dust. I was wondering if there was a bracket I could buy or if there was some sort of a kit that I could use to get these on my 98. My volks are already the correct size for a bbk. Thanks in advance.

They can be "made" to work, although the rotors will probably have to be changed (or at least the hats)

I do not know of any pre-made brackets, but a machine shop should be able to create some for you. If they have the same dimensions as one of the aftermarket Brembo calipers that are available for the NSX you might be able to just buy replacements?

I have 993 Big Reds on my '92. They came with a machined bracket and OEM rotors which rub the lower A arm with Porsche hats. A call to StopTech took care of that problem.

You will also need different brake lines as the stock NSX lines will be too short.

I have the 993 turbo brakes on my NSX.
This was part of a kit made by Mov'it from Germany.
The disks were also from the 993 turbo but with NSX specific hats.
I'm not sure the 996 disks can be separated from their hats like the 993 turbo do?
In case you plan to use other disks, I would watch the height of the pads as on the 993 they are 60 mm if I remember correctly and very few disks are manufactured with such a wide track!
Here's a picture of my set-up
883c9db0.jpg

Thats Sacriledge! :biggrin:

D1, i've done extensive research here. Feel free to call me. You have my #.

The question is are those radial mount calipers (most porsche ones are axial mount). If you do any performance driving the piston sizes will be of significant consideration as well in terms of brake bias and pedal feel.

I have 996 front Calipers on my rear. Had to machine a custom radial bracket.

DSCF1222sm.jpg

new brackets
314.jpg

Vroom, that's some nice work! I read your Cayenne thread many times while thinking of my brake setup. Are the 996 calipers you have in the rear originally Axial mounts which you converted to Radial? I have a set of Brembo TL-S brakes i'm thinking of doing the same to. The piston sizes for those are ideal for me but they're Axial and much more limited in mounting options.

Vroom, that's some nice work! I read your Cayenne thread many times while thinking of my brake setup. Are the 996 calipers you have in the rear originally Axial mounts which you converted to Radial? I have a set of Brembo TL-S brakes i'm thinking of doing the same to. The piston sizes for those are ideal for me but they're Axial and much more limited in mounting options.

They were always radial mounts for the rear. The Cayenne calipers are axial mounts. I had to plug and re-bore the correct locations on those to fit the front knuckle. Radial mounts are much easier to position.

I have the 993 turbo brakes on my NSX.
This was part of a kit made by Mov'it from Germany.
The disks were also from the 993 turbo but with NSX specific hats.
I'm not sure the 996 disks can be separated from their hats like the 993 turbo do?
In case you plan to use other disks, I would watch the height of the pads as on the 993 they are 60 mm if I remember correctly and very few disks are manufactured with such a wide track!
Here's a picture of my set-up
883c9db0.jpg

What is the size of that rotor, looks huge!

The rotors are 322*32 mm:smile:

Porsche brakes were used as far back as 10 years ago when Nelson Landa (I believe that was his last name) did this mod on his 91 blk/ivory with the 18/19 HRE 546's. He then sold his combo to Ben Beckert whom I believe is still running the Porsche brakes.

what wheels will fit over this type of a big brake kit? Has anyone ever done a thread that specifies wheel fitment on big brake kits? I have a brembo 12.9" kit and I am curious to know how limited I am with wheel options. Thanks in advance and sorry for slightly high jacking the thread.

what wheels will fit over this type of a big brake kit? Has anyone ever done a thread that specifies wheel fitment on big brake kits? I have a brembo 12.9" kit and I am curious to know how limited I am with wheel options. Thanks in advance and sorry for slightly high jacking the thread.
I personally run with CE 28N's 17*8 with an ET of 38 mm.
To clear the Porsche calipers you need an extra 5 mm spacer bringing the ET to 33 mm.
For the track I use SE 37 K's 17*7.5 and to get to the same ET, I use 15mm spacers:rolleyes:
I believe most of the calipers on the market don't need more than 38 mm ET as the corresponding disks are only 28 mm thick versus the 32 mm I have.

If you end up making brackets, how much do you think it would cost? I want a BBK at the rear to go with the Brembos the previous owner put on the front, but the list price for the dedicated kits is kind of steep. Would definitely be interested.

Back