• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A/C Pro - Good or bad?

My AC is not as great as I'd like it to be. On hot days, when the sun is shining into the car, it feels like an over in there. No matter how long I'm driving, it won't cool down. On cloudy cooler days tho, the AC feels good and cold. It kinda defeats the purpose of having AC if it doesn't work on hot sunny days tho. I have a '92 that has been changed to R134. Has anyone tried using things as A/C Pro in their vehicle? I asked a general mechanic and he said it should be fine but I think you fellas might be more knowledgeable when it comes to the NSX.

I don't know spit about A/C Pro but have you tried tinting your windows?

How are your condensers looking? Is the air flow getting through? My condensers were a little beat up, once I straightend up some bashed fins and sprayed the bugs out from the back side, my AC worked a little better.

I was getting sun burned inside my car for a while. I'm sure it doesn't help that the windows are massive on this car.

I've tinted the door windows and that helps a huge amount. Still get burned from the front though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I just charged with AC Pro. Worked great. System was low and now blows ice cubes.

Woah! Now I am no AC expert, however, I did consult one before I touched my NSX for a similar problem. What was explained to me was that those off-the-shelf AC fixes that have sealants can ruin your A/C system. Per his explanation, the sealant become tacky and in some cases will fill up the lines resulting in problems later on. He felt that if you had a beater that you just didn't care about then it is fine otherwise he strongly recommended against it. Apparently, some shops will refuse to touch an A/C system after sealant has been added for when they place vacuum on the system to extract any freon, the sealant can sometimes gum up their equipment resulting in down time for the shop. Personally, I find this a bit of stretch for I would think that most new machines would have a filter or something to prevent equipment failure.

For reference, the issue with mine (also a R134 conversion) was that one of the Shrader valves was leaking. After getting that fixed, a refill with some non-sealant containing freon, things were back the way should be.

Can only tint the back window as I'm in NJ :(
Move. JK. I really can't imagine that A/C Pro is a "magic bullet." Agree with NSX_2k's comments as well. Like Barsleak used for coolant systems, it's a bandaid fix. I'll bet this product has consequences down the road. Charge it and sell it? Sure. But if you're going to keep your NSX for more than 6 months, I'd recommend taking it to a professional and get it done right. I recently spent $1800 getting my compressor replaced and changing over to R134. Was it a tough check to write? Absolutely. But my A/C works great and my knees will be giving out getting in and out of my NSX before my A/C does.

The A/C system is a sealed system. The recharge products with or without sealant, are not the same as having a professional check out your system and determine what is going on. A leaking component needs to be fixed or replaced, something recharging does not do. For what it's worth, get it fixed right.

Refrigerant NEVER goes bad or magically wears out. More than likely you have a leak somewhere. My NSX was doing almost the exact things you are describing. Since I am a HVAC tech this was easier for me to address. I revcovered the 134a that had been in it after a conversion. Then pressure tested with nitrogen. I found a leak that was actually visibly evident at the drier/receiver. I went to the local parts store picked up a new one with new o-rings and changed it out. Pulled a vaccum on the system, I also added additional ester oil to compensate for the oil lost from the leak. Recharged with 32oz of r-134a and it works great now!!
abd the A/C compressor is less noisy.
Mine did have dye in it already so I'm guessing it had leak stop as well. Unless you flush the entire system and drain the compressor you really can't get rid of the dye. But in theory it shouldn't hurt the function of the system.

The only issue I have with a/c pro is make sure it's just 134a and also purge the line before connecting it otherwise you will get air in the system that can make other issues down the road. But it's best to find and fix the leak.
BrianB

The A/C system is a sealed system. The recharge products with or without sealant, are not the same as having a professional check out your system and determine what is going on. A leaking component needs to be fixed or replaced, something recharging does not do. For what it's worth, get it fixed right.

This right here. Take it to a technician, they'll inject a dye into the system and find the leak really quick. It's normally just some random O-ring that crapped out.

Thanks guys. I'm always hesitant to do any "quick fix" type of deals with my baby. Last week just killed me with 5+ days of 95 degree weather.

This is what my car felt like last week...
998736_600417423336096_2094278960_n.jpg

Same symptom and issue on my civic. Shop checked and said I need new condenser and drier, high side of pipe were getting clogged. If the sun is not beating down then its ok even though I running at max. I would get your check by someone who know nsx inside and out. Check one fix one..

Back