• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A/C Problem

As it states in the title, I'm having a HUGE A/C Problem. Now that it is getting hotter than hell here in SoCa, my A/C Doesn't work too well when I'm not flying down the freeway. IE: When I'm @ a stoplight it doesn't work @ all and just throws hot humid air into my face... What can the problem be?

Probably low on Freon - which means it probably has a leak.
You probably should have a recharge at an AC shop where they will also inject a dye & hopefully be able to detect the source of the leak. If you're lucky it could be something as simple as one of the Schraeder valves.

If car is a 91 or 92 you might consider conversion to R134a which will ultimatley be much cheaper for you.

I have a MY04 I believe it comes with the R134a setup. How much do you think it would cost for a repair? I'm very dumbfounded when it comes to repairs on such parts.

You should check your fuses for the AC fans. My car was doing the same thing when stopped or driving slow because the fans are not moving air thru the condenser. When I was moving fast the air was cool. Check your owners manual for fuse locations.

bizman said:
You should check your fuses for the AC fans. ...

Excellent suggestion! <!--StartFragment -->
biggthum.gif
<!--StartFragment -->
biggthum.gif

I missed the part about just being poor at stop lights.

You can easily tell if they are running or not - they are quite audible (i.e. loud!) when running - they should be on when the A/C is on. To test, just turn on ignition and turn AC on (you should probably be able to hear them even from inside the car) then go to the front & check for the fans running by both noise & you should be able to feel the airflow at the two scoops either side of the front bumper below the parking lights. If you go back into the car & turn AC off, then the fans should stop.

If they are not running, check Fuses (10A) 36 (left fan motor) & 37 (right fan motor) located in the Main Relay/Fuse box on the right bulkhead of the front compartment.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• fanfuses.JPG
    fanfuses.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 370
  • mainrelaybox.JPG
    mainrelaybox.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 372
FIXED!!!!!!!!! OMG I was about to take it to the dealer... They said most likely they'll have to fix the condensers. >.< THANK YOU ALL for ALL the help!

That's great! All thanks due to bizman - I completely glossed over the 'only bad when stopped' condition & incorrectly just assumed this was an older model car with the expected problems. Great call on his part.

D'Ecosse said:
Probably low on Freon - which means it probably has a leak.
You probably should have a recharge at an AC shop where they will also inject a dye & hopefully be able to detect the source of the leak. If you're lucky it could be something as simple as one of the Schraeder valves.

If car is a 91 or 92 you might consider conversion to R134a which will ultimatley be much cheaper for you.

Where are the Schraeder valves located? My a/c will cool fine (several minutes or miles) when first turned on then I hear a spew like sound in the lower pass floor area and then a/c stops cooling. If I turn the a/c off and wait a few minutes then back on it seems to cool again. Anyone have this problem? :confused:

This possibly sounds like a pressure problem since it is initially starting up - if the triple pressure switch senses high or low pressure, it will turn off the compressor. I'm not sure about your "spewing" sound however - is it possibly the compressor clutch shrieking?
The Schraeder valves are where you hook up the test guages & refill equipment - located on the left side & centre of front compartment.

Thanks Ken, but the compressor does not shut off. Could the expansion valve be failing and causing this noise heard in the pass floor area when the system stops cooling? Thanks for the help.:smile:

mackash said:
Thanks Ken, but the compressor does not shut off. Could the expansion valve be failing and causing this noise heard in the pass floor area when the system stops cooling? Thanks for the help.:smile:
Well, I would think (not sure) that would in turn cause a pressure problem - how do you know the compressor is still running (i.e. clutch is still energized)?

Saved by this post.... glad I recalled reading it last month. Both my fuses were blown, any idea why these go? I had to steal one 10A from my hazard lights so I could at least get one fan going :). I suppose I should replenish the spares one of these days.

Back