• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A different view of the Nordschleife

You know the view out the windshield of the NSX (especially if lowered) is not that different from this camera angle which is why this car is so damn fun. I keep telling myself not to track such an expensive car, and I have really limited it due to no cage/insurance/investment and risk factors... But man o man is this car more fun than anything else at speed because of this view.

Amazing vid. Thank you for sharing! The blue/white Porsche pass was crazy...

Last edited:
I read some place 50 people a year die immediately or from fatal injuries on this track. This have any truth? is it that bad? the actual data seems to be secret.

According to Wikipedia only about 3 - 12:

Fatal accidents
Main article: List of Nürburgring fatal accidents
While it is unusual for deaths to occur during sanctioned races, there are many accidents and several deaths each year during public sessions. It is common for the track to be closed several times a day for cleanup, repair, and medical intervention. While track management does not publish any official figures, several regular visitors to the track have used police reports to estimate the number of fatalities at somewhere between 3 and 12 in a full year.<SUP id=cite_ref-LovejoyWarning_6-0 class=reference>[7]</SUP>

I just spent a couple of days at the 'ring doing the Touristenfahrten sessions during the week.

That track is bonkers. Like everyone else under the age of 35 or so, I've run thousands of GT_ laps on the track, so I knew the sequence of the turns just fine, but nothing really prepares you for how tactile it is. So many bumps, yumps, almost-jumps, and every curb is different. No standardized FIA stuff here. Some you can run up on no-problem, others would bounce you across the track or crack an oil-pan if you straddled them. The track is also MUCH narrower, in most places, than it appears in games or in low-angle video. It's probably the width of a skinny two-lane road with not much shoulder.

Just to try and drive it fast was a serious challege even though I've had a good amount of track experience in the states. I have a huge appreciation now for the skill required to drive it at 10/10ths while also racing other people.

Last edited:
if you like crazy passing... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yctEEDWXXmU

this past weekend my student at vir insisted that i drive his race-prepared 1972 911 w/ a 3.2L motor, upgraded brakes, and hoosiers. having never driven a 911 of any vintage before i was a bit nervous but wow, what a car (aside from the horrendous 915 gearbox). now i know why people get all googly-eyed about them, the braking balance is terrific, steering feel exemplary, and when you get on the throttle exiting a turn it just plants itself and rockets out. silly fun.

that Nordschliefe vid is a blast. didn't see what happened to the leading Porsche, did it go off at end of the last straight ? Understatement, but those guys were pushing, went wide under brakes a few times :eek:

Lotus Bathurst vid - is that a master Lotus driver or an NSX wending its way through the field of plodding Lotuses? :biggrin: He seems to have an extra turbo or something

If you're interested that track, arguably Australia's most famous, is Mount Panorama at Bathurst, New South Wales, also known simply as "the mountain" . A few hundred km west of Sydney and the home of "the great race" held annually, 1000km (621miles) in one day with just two drivers. Historically a huge battle between local models made by Ford, Chrysler and General Motors (Holden). Although Chrysler has been out of the game for yonks.

Check out the "oops" on Conrod Straight at around 300 kph (@3:20)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xblOXBkLYL4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Sparky, do they hold track days or tourist sessions at Bathurst, or is it competition-only?

I'd hate the plane ride to get to Australia, but It'd be worth it if I could spend a weekend on that circuit.

Now that I've driven the 'ring, Bathurst is probably my next target for tracks I need to drive before I die, lol.

Sparky, do they hold track days or tourist sessions at Bathurst, or is it competition-only?

I'd hate the plane ride to get to Australia, but It'd be worth it if I could spend a weekend on that circuit.

Now that I've driven the 'ring, Bathurst is probably my next target for tracks I need to drive before I die, lol.

like your style! track days yes, but its very popular, so possibly expensive. tourist sessions I have'n't heard of, certainly nothing like public days at the the ring

if you're still curious try reposting this question in the International > Australia section here on prime

like your style! track days yes, but its very popular, so possibly expensive. tourist sessions I haven't heard of, certainly nothing like public days at the the ring

if you're still curious try reposting this question in the International > Australia section here on prime

Thanks for the tip! Once I figure out next year's travel budget, I'll inquire there.

Amazing video, but I can not help but feel like I was being programmed with all the subliminal messages painted on the pavement is some sort of Clockwork Orange type of psychological conditioning.

I thought the 19 turns at Autobahn Country Club was a lot to learn in a day, it would take years to be able to run that track hard.

Dave

Driving the Nurburgring next month. Hopefully, I'll get some vid and pix.

Woot.

What about spa?
Nurburgring,Bathurst and spa are probably the best 3 race tracks in the world imo.

Back