• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A Little Closer to Gettin 'er Done!

Step by step, I am getting closer to my stereo upgrade!
I am keeping the stock head unit and installing the following:

Diamond Audio S600s Hex speakers;
Earthquake SWS10 sub in a modified Toolbox enclosure;
Audison SRX5 amp;
Alpine ERE G180 11 band EQ; and
an Alpine 6 disc mp3 changer.

The sub enclosure is an origional toolbox that was cut down to decrease the legroom loss. (Thanks Shaun.) I used bondo to smooth it out and then coated it with a black ruberized paint to make it look good! :biggrin:

The eq has a gain control and adjustable crossover frequency, so I dont think that is necessary to purchace the adjustable gain from Audison. Any thoughts?

I plan to mount the amp behind the driver's seat. It is a 5 channel amp that is bridgable for 3 channels with 150 watts to each door and 180 watts to the sub.

I am not sure about the location of the eq, but I am thinking of putting it in the center armrest/console if it will fit. It is fairly small, but I need to take some measurements.

I am also looking for the right ipod adapter that will allow me to keep the changer.

Right now, everything is in-hand except for the speakers, which are on their way. I will get started as soon as they get here.

Any install suggestions or advice will be well received!

(I have endlessly searched this forum, so I have plenty of ideas.)

All the best!

Nate in DC

Hi Nate!

Wish you good luck in the project. Sounds like you got all the right stuff! As for the EQ and location, that could be a tight fit. I have an old Kenwood 5 band EQ with a good sub woofer output (controls level and frequency cutoff) and it's small. If you have trouble with the 11-band EQ and really want the center console location, I'll let you have the EQ. It's in great shape - just been in storage for years.

I want to hear what you think of the Audison amp. Personally, I have too much amp in my trunk and may rethink the set up. I might put the whole trunk set up for sale on Prime some day and downsize to a lighter weight system. It's fun to lift the trunk and show off, but Geez...I think I smell the sub coil heating up when I just start to crank on it. Lightweight and less power (like you are aiming for) might just be the ticket.

Make sure to post some photos!

Shaun

Back