• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A mostly positive Dog DeMuro review

Please PM me with door info as well.

Perhaps we can create another private area here "MasterNSXTech's super secret NSX Tips Forum." I note that, on the Facebook group, there is an Acura corporate person who presumably does not own an NSX....

I already asked an admin. Nope. I could've easily "faked" it by taking pictures with any one of the NC1s that came through my store, but I said why I am really here instead. So nope.

There are door noises that I am aware of. I'll PM you.

I already asked an admin. Nope. I could've easily "faked" it by taking pictures with any one of the NC1s that came through my store, but I said why I am really here instead. So nope.

There are door noises that I am aware of. I'll PM you.

It is really Stupid to have an "NSX forum", yet have the NC1 as private.......I guess they should have set up Private section for NA2, and NA2 with exposed headlights :confused:
We are all here to share information.

Bram

I'm not privy to that section....but I could see me getting tired real quick with all the ot drivel and trash talk/bench race crap thrown at it if it was public and I was an owner...jmho...

I'm not privy to that section....but I could see me getting tired real quick with all the ot drivel and trash talk/bench race crap thrown at it if it was public and I was an owner...jmho...

With the posting activity on this site on the decline, making anything private seems like a bad idea.

It is really Stupid to have an "NSX forum", yet have the NC1 as private.......I guess they should have set up Private section for NA2, and NA2 with exposed headlights :confused:
We are all here to share information.

Yeah, why is it presumably ok for NA1 and NA2 owners to be subjected to trash talk/bench race crap? Are NC1 owners precious snowflakes who are less capable of dealing with these distractions?

It is a bit of a double standard isn't it? However, and maybe I'm wrong so you guys tell me since I don't really poke my head in any subforum other than those that concern the 2nd gen NSX, the NA1/NA2 is done. Hasn't been on sale for a dozen years. I doubt you're getting many tire kickers in those 1st gen subforums who ask about lease rates, sales figures, argue whether it's a sales success, come in and post they thought about the NSX but bought a R8 instead, or any of the other essentially worthless information posts like I've seen in the 2nd gen subforum here.

So it's probably nice that there's a dedicated forum where actual owners can talk about the car. "Hey my car does this...does yours do that?" Stuff like that. But what would be really nice is if all these owners had someone in the room who is probably more of an expert on the NC1 than pretty much anyone they're ever likely to have a chance to ask questions to on the internet. The sole reason I am on this forum is to collect and compare data about problems with the NC1. What sucks for me is that is have to wade through threads like this to find it.

Yeah, why is it presumably ok for NA1 and NA2 owners to be subjected to trash talk/bench race crap? Are NC1 owners precious snowflakes who are less capable of dealing with these distractions?

point well taken...but then who really is the snowflake.....:wink:

a4346c84ccd5c1f066e6b8bd6962bb05.jpg
simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A review published yesterday has it at 2.7 seconds.
Who says Honda isn't making improvements to the NC1 already? ;)

decent review, pretty accurate on a lot of things, especially his initial description of the car in the first paragraph.

but it sounds like he's just chucking out figures without any actual testing. and it also doesn't sound like he's driven an R8 or 570 based on his comparison at the end. and i can't imagine why he's comparing the NSX to a Corvette, and a Ferrari California? the 911 and GTR, sure. but a California?

decent review, pretty accurate on a lot of things, especially his initial description of the car in the first paragraph.

but it sounds like he's just chucking out figures without any actual testing. and it also doesn't sound like he's driven an R8 or 570 based on his comparison at the end. and i can't imagine why he's comparing the NSX to a Corvette, and a Ferrari California? the 911 and GTR, sure. but a California?

I'm pretty sure the reviewer is female.

Really doubt it did a 0-60 in 2.7. I did two instrumented runs and got 3.1 seconds both times. This was on street tires and crappy lonely road, so 3.0 or even 2.9 seems plausible on a better surface, but 2.7 is super suspect, IMHO. Whatever. It's fast enough.

As an aside, the A8 C7 Z06 is supposed to do 0-60 in 2.9 seconds, but every time I try launch control on that, the back end steps out and I abort or else I get wheel spin and do 3.4 to 3.6 seconds. I would *never* launch the Z06 near any other cars or hard objects, but NSX is drama free.

the Corvette is an entirely different car, not even comparable to the NSX. you would certainly expect the Chevy to be a wilder ride.

Honda says 3.1, no one is going to go any quicker than them. no one else has run thousands of launches at every possible rpm and traction controlled scenario. 3.1 is well documented.

needless to say, 3 seconds 0-to-60 is plenty fast enough for anything. as long as the car next to you can't do it in 2.5 seconds...

I'm on crappy California 91 gas. I wonder if that could account for a tick versus rest-of-world?

Anyway, my point is: NSX performance is accessible and consistent and fast enough to hang with the best under any circumstance I will ever find myself in (including the racetrack, but perhaps not at the dragstrip, which i have never done). I would put the 991 Turbo and Nissan GT-R in this category as well.

At the racetrack, I am the weakest link, which is why I am getting a race prepped Cayman as a learning platform instead of my >500HP cars.

I'm on crappy California 91 gas. I wonder if that could account for a tick versus rest-of-world?

Anyway, my point is: NSX performance is accessible and consistent and fast enough to hang with the best under any circumstance I will ever find myself in (including the racetrack, but perhaps not at the dragstrip, which i have never done). I would put the 991 Turbo and Nissan GT-R in this category as well.

At the racetrack, I am the weakest link, which is why I am getting a race prepped Cayman as a learning platform instead of my >500HP cars.
I think you'd love a race prepped 91 nsx even more.

I thought the review had some good and bad points. I like that he captured the practicality of the car, I was disappointed that he picked dumb examples of it. I thought he did a good job of tying the old and new NSX together and I agree with his concepts. I also agree that Acura has major problems that have nothing to do with the rather wonderful car they put together and put a NSX badge on. I was actually just talking to a sales person about the lack of cars for a "halo car" to push people too (S2000, Prelude, Integra), so I think he is rather accurate there.

Two bullet style comments to avoid long winded paragraphs:
  • Totally agree on the keyhole. Amateur move by the design team when there are more clever ways to do it. If it was supposed to be an homage to the old car, that was a bad decision. The door handles in general are mediocre. They are a cross between a GT-R and a Hurracan (which also does the pop out to greet). Lack of creativity. This is a case where an homage to the old car would have been nice as the door handles on the NSX are elegant and stylish. Should have used them and ditched the keyhole.
  • Seemed like he was trying very hard to kill time during the review. Examples - practicality talked about a microfiber cloth and an entirely unpractical cupholder. Then he droned on about the tail lights and front lights. Sure they look nice, but really - that is what you are going to talk about? That says MILES about how the car simply didn't engage him. Similar story with the slide volume control (standard Honda feature). It is pretty easy to read between the lines and see that this car didn't excite the reviewer in any meaningful way.

Unfortunately though, there really isn't that much to say about the car. The most interesting aspect - the hybrid drive train - doesn't seem to translate in to anything that notable on the road which is perhaps what is most damaging to the car. We all know that the engineers performed an ENORMOUS feat to put all of that hybrid magic in to a package that could stand up to the rigors of average consumer demands (in contrast to the million dollar hybrid super cars which would only see special usage) and yet all of that effort didn't translate in to a notable drive experience. It isn't something that WOWs you out of the gate and that makes it a tough sell. Consider that Doug didn't even mention the phrase "torque vectoring". Of course he also didn't seem to notice that the car weighs a ton and yet still dances nimbly through the corners like some sumo wrestler squeezed in to a ballerina's costume. Again, what is unsaid is what to me stands out. There was an incredible bit of engineering that went in to defying conventional performance and the magic is so good that everyone forgets that it is there and thus it has no value as a sales tool...

that's basically the problem with the NSX. it's a very nice car, and has a lot of fancy tech gizmos, but none of that delivers a highly "notable" or "engaging" experience (to use your words).

and for anyone who doesn't agree with that. drive a Ferrari, Lamborghini or McLaren, then let me know what you think...

Folks, look at his other reviews. He typically points out small details that others don't. I don't think he was trying to "kill time". It's his style. It has grown on me over time to the point that I check out Autotrader reviews every few days.

The small details are what matters for some people. Pointing small, unnoticeable experiences are important for ownership experience.

"Engaging" is subjective as much as a clutch pedal is needed to be engaging.

Weight is the new NSX's enemy, not the hybrid powertrain.

although subjective, "engaging" is not a word anyone is using to describe the new NSX.

Honda's motto as of lately seems to be to remove the engaging aspect...

Weight is the new NSX's enemy, not the hybrid powertrain.
Like a doctor telling the patient: "the problem isn't the fluid in your lungs, it's the lack of oxygen in your blood."
Or a contractor: "you just need a dehumidifier in your basement, don't worry about the leaky roof."
Yes, there are ways to offset the weight of a hybrid powertrain, but those ways would still offer benefit without the hybrid system. It's pretty unclear whether hybrid offers a meaningful advantage at this design point for lap times. But it does offer other benefits and those are the things Honda has apparently targeted.

Speaking of weight: I was stranded in Charlotte when I missed a connection today and decided to drive home. I grabbed a BMW 440i convertible off of National's executive emerald aisle for the drive. It is a fine car. But it just did not feel right to me, even in Sport+ mode. After driving it all day today, I hopped into the NSX. Man, what a difference. The massive weight difference made it feel like driving a motorcycle vs. a tank.

They built a fantastic car for a very small market in a crowded space, time will tell if it was the right call

Back