• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Aaaahhh....another noise

Hi all

Dropped in my baby to Honda last week to rectify an oil leak issue.

Took her out yesterday for a nice 150 mile drive.

I now hear a new rattle in the rear most detectable running at higher speeds cruising but can be heard downshifting.

Noise sounds like some metallic loose/rattling.

I can think of 3 possible reasons?:

1) Honda needed to remove rear valve cover to fix leak...something not retightened?

2) I have aftermarket headers and exhaust. Honda fixed the Cat converter heatshield touching the crossbar by cutting a little of the heatshield off. But now the flange of the Cat is 1/5 inch away from the crossbar......so when driving rattling gainst one another

3) Dreaded butterfly valve and Honda visit purely coincidental

Quick update, I had a good look below today and I think it's number 2) above. The flange is really close to the metal crossbar.

If I shake the exhaust system enough, I can touch the metal crossbar so I could only imagine what it's like when the engine is moving.

As you can see in the photos attached, it's really close, like 1/15 inch.

It use to be the cat heatshield pressing against the metal cross bar. Honda did a great job cutting the heatshield....straight and no sharp edges. They had the best of intentions. :)

Now I was wondering what I can put between the cat flange and the metal crossbar?

Something strong to absorb the compression but also heat resistant?

Looking from front to rear
20121028094353medium.jpg

Looking from rear to front
20121028094313medium.jpg

I have something similar...Larry B just pulled real hard with the car on his lift to get a little seperation of the exhaust/cat with the beam.

Did Larry pull on the beam and bent it a little?

I think he actualy pushed the exhaust/header up rather than pull the bar down.:redface: anyway I still get a little tinny metal on metal sound but I only hear it when pulling away from a stop,untill all the nicer sounds overpower it.

Back