• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

abalone diving in month of june

Ab (and Ling) season opens soon...........

I'm signed up for a FII freediving class in Monterey in June, which feels like a long time away..

Got a speargun en-route.

Itching to get back in the water!

-Josh

Ab (and Ling) season opens soon...........

I'm signed up for a FII freediving class in Monterey in June, which feels like a long time away..

Got a speargun en-route.

Itching to get back in the water!

-Josh

sounds like you're ready to go, josh - june will be here before we know it :)

halibut diving / spearfishing

josh,

your post got me thinking about diving / spearfishing again and my mind returned to the hundreds of halibut i've taken in monterey and so cal over the years. i did a bit of searching and came across this thread, from which you will get a ton of excellent advice should you want to take a swing (or two) and halibut diving this year.

perhaps we can take my whaler out in the bay and bring up a few flatties this year :)

Sad news. It can be rough out there.
+1, bummer ... yep, there are sooooo many factors (access, weather, water conditions, predators, personal health / conditioning) that can go in to making it a really bad day for the diver and their family.

a million years ago i would dive in darn near any conditions - after driving for hours, i was going to get my abs, damnit! no more. if my friends and i drive up and conditions have turned upside down, it'll wait for another time - maybe the next day or next month, no big shake.

Hal, I thought you gave up rock climbing....:wink:

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_18105019

Abalone diver rescued after falling down cliff

Bay City News

Posted: 05/20/2011 10:27:36 AM PDT

An abalone diver was injured after falling down a cliff at Windermere Point on the Sonoma Coast north of Fort Ross State Historic Park on Friday morning, a Sonoma County sheriff's sergeant said.
The diver fell while climbing up a 50-foot cliff, Thompson said.
The Sonoma County sheriff's Henry-1 helicopter crew was informed of the incident at 7:45 a.m., sheriff's Sgt. Dave Thompson said.
The helicopter responded but could not conduct a long-line rescue because of heavy fog between the tree line and the ground in the area, Thompson said.
Personnel from the Timber Cove and Fort Ross fire departments used ropes and pulleys attached to a basket to get the diver up the cliff, Thompson said.
Thompson said that would take 10-12 people using "old-fashioned manpower" for 30 or 40 minutes.
The diver suffered injuries to his legs and was taken by ambulance to a hospital, Thompson said.

Hal, I thought you gave up rock climbing....:wink:

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_18105019

Abalone diver rescued after falling down cliff

Bay City News

Posted: 05/20/2011 10:27:36 AM PDT

An abalone diver was injured after falling down a cliff at Windermere Point on the Sonoma Coast north of Fort Ross State Historic Park on Friday morning, a Sonoma County sheriff's sergeant said.
The diver fell while climbing up a 50-foot cliff, Thompson said.
The Sonoma County sheriff's Henry-1 helicopter crew was informed of the incident at 7:45 a.m., sheriff's Sgt. Dave Thompson said.
The helicopter responded but could not conduct a long-line rescue because of heavy fog between the tree line and the ground in the area, Thompson said.
Personnel from the Timber Cove and Fort Ross fire departments used ropes and pulleys attached to a basket to get the diver up the cliff, Thompson said.
Thompson said that would take 10-12 people using "old-fashioned manpower" for 30 or 40 minutes.
The diver suffered injuries to his legs and was taken by ambulance to a hospital, Thompson said.
whoa - looks like he picked a bad day to quit sniffing glue!

fortunately (for me), that wasn't me ... i did a few of those types of accesses when i was a puppy and thought i was bullet proof / unbreakable but, boy howdy, that was at least 2.5 decades ago.

it'll be interesting to learn more details about who the diver is, how long he's been diving up there, etc.

thx for the heads up!

I know some of those critters are pretty elusive, but I've never had to chase one up a cliff! :eek:

i always seem to come across the abs that have "guard dogs". this first pic is of a spiny lobster defending its buds, the second pic is of me when i was younger and dove w/out a wet suit ... "bruce" was a pretty mean dude back in the day. when things just get to be too much, i go hang out @ the store and wait for guys like josh to bring home the goods.

Attachments

• ab_lobster.jpg
    ab_lobster.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 30
  • josh_shark.jpg
    josh_shark.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 118
  • OceanCoveStore.jpg
    OceanCoveStore.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
the second pic is of me when i was younger and dove w/out a wet suit ... "bruce" was a pretty mean dude back in the day.

attachment.php

Great form Hal....!! Bruce ever grab a hold of you by the shorts...?:eek:

(re form: thx - i was younger then ;)

shorts? yeah ... when i began diving i was uncircumcised :eek::eek::eek:

In short, circumcision is a token of faith and holiness. ...

In short, circumcision is a token of faith and holiness. ...

indeed: when bruce the shark jumped up and shorted me (which happened immediately after the photo snapped that pic), i suddenly became holy and "developed" faith.

:smile:

Oh sheesh, be careful with the circumcision references because it got "Batmans" a LONG sentence in the nsxprime clink!

How do you dive for halibut in SF bay? That water is horribly murky! I was sitting in McCovey cove this past weekend on the "Splash Craft" and I noticed that I couldn't see anything submerged beyond 1 foot deep.

Oh sheesh, be careful with the circumcision references because it got "Batmans" a LONG sentence in the nsxprime clink!

How do you dive for halibut in SF bay? That water is horribly murky! I was sitting in McCovey cove this past weekend on the "Splash Craft" and I noticed that I couldn't see anything submerged beyond 1 foot deep.
mine are typically sanitized references :)

i've never dove for halibut in sf bay - always in monterey / south area and in so cal / islands. the water is often not very clear, though sometimes i've had 80'+ viz when shooting 'buts.

indeed: when bruce the shark jumped up and shorted me (which happened immediately after the photo snapped that pic), i suddenly became holy and "developed" faith.

:smile:

AMEN Brother!!!...:biggrin:

daayum, that's a tough weekend! i've dove each of the areas cited and at this point in my life (turning 60 soon, have had some very difficult health issues the past 5 years, retired with flexible schedule) and with the weather the way it's been these past few weeks - high winds, rough seas & coastal waves - i've opted to stay out of the water until things settle down a bit. (season opened 4/1 so there's **always** an internal push to go get 'em)

(stand by for The Older I Get The Better I Was story ;)

in '78 (when i was still a puppy) i was having a dinner party and had promised fresh abalone as the main course. got up early saturday morning and drove up the coast (in heavy rain, winds) and got in the ab.so.lute.ly pounding surf @ Salt Point. got my abs for dinner but took a beating and cracked 3 ribs in the process ... lesson learned.

sorry to hear about these deaths, but i promise there will be more by season end in november.

Back