• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

abs leaking fluid

After a few hot sessions on track, I heard some really strange sound coming from the front of the car. It sounded like a turbine spinning down whenever I brake for a turn. Of course I pitted right away and found some fluid on the ground under the bonnet. After further investigation, it was brake fluid leaking from the cap of the abs container. Twist opened the cap and found over flowing fluid with bubbles coming underneath. What the?

My mechanic said I over-worked the abs.... is that possible?

Henry.

Now that you mentioned it, I haven't flush my abs for a long time, I would say at least a 3 or 4 years :eek:

It never gave me any problems and there were no ALB warning lights (bulb working). Didn't think I need to flush it that often.

Henry.

Last edited:
One of the ABS valves stuck and the high pressure fluid in the accumulator emptied back in to the reservoir. Not an uncommon problem and you are most likely due for flush of the fluid.

See http://www.danoland.com/nsxgarage/brakes/abs/abs.htm

and http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106924&highlight=ABS+Brad

Do a search tons of info available.

Sigh... I gave up half a day of track day because of this silly problem :(

Note to self.... flush abs before track day.

Henry.

Better yet, maybe you should remove it with the ABS Killer kit from Dali. I don't think the ABS really works well in the NSX to begin with. Really outdated stuff.

Or maybe a good excuse for me to upgrade to the 2002 abs ;)

Does the '02+ ABS allow a less rigorous bleed schedule?

I have been considering this upgrade as well considering my ABS unit's age and with future track use in mind (not to mention killing that annoying-ass chirping)

It's not just an easy install of the new ABS unit and bleed the system. The new system is actually tied into the main brake lines and is based on the Bosch setup that most European cars use. It's definitely better but it requires some major replumbing and then you also have to find a way of reprogramming the ABS computer setup. Probably too time consuming and too expensive to be worth the effort. Just learn to use what you have to it's full potential and then learn to threshold brake to get the most out of the system.

AL

It's not just an easy install of the new ABS unit and bleed the system. The new system is actually tied into the main brake lines and is based on the Bosch setup that most European cars use. It's definitely better but it requires some major replumbing and then you also have to find a way of reprogramming the ABS computer setup. Probably too time consuming and too expensive to be worth the effort. Just learn to use what you have to it's full potential and then learn to threshold brake to get the most out of the system.

AL

For my own part, I'm tempted to disable the current system because I would rather know that I don't have ABS and threshold brake accordingly, rather than think I have an ABS system that might be compromised and lock the brakes at an inconvenient moment (i.e. unexpectedly slick spot on a road, inclimate weather...not on a racetrack where I would be threshold braking anyway). I have few questions of my ability to control a car under braking...as long as I know what to expect.

SOS doesn't mention anything about an ABS reflash for their kit, and I would assume (maybe incorrectly) that the appropriate map is already in the module. I would of course get those details prior to making the purchase.

Last edited:
For my own part, I'm tempted to disable the current system because I would rather know that I don't have ABS and threshold brake accordingly, rather than think I have an ABS system that might be compromised and lock the brakes at an inconvenient moment (i.e. unexpectedly slick spot on a road, inclimate weather...not on a racetrack where I would be threshold braking anyway). I have few questions of my ability to control a car under braking...as long as I know what to expect.

I've had that happen actually. Stock, their is an ABS indicator light on your dash that stays lit if their is a problem and the fail safe relay has been actuated. Just be mindful of it, and you will be just fine.

In fact, when I re-wired my car I installed a bright red light that comes on in just such an event and can't be missed. Their is a blu/wht lead off the ABS controller which goes to pin 30 on the right 30P instrument cluster connector you can use, or you can simply tap into the harness coming off the controller (below).

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN0785.jpg
    DSCN0785.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 174
I've had that happen actually. Stock, their is an ABS indicator light on your dash that stays lit if their is a problem and the fail safe relay has been actuated. Just be mindful of it, and you will be just fine.

In fact, when I re-wired my car I installed a bright red light that comes on in just such an event and can't be missed. Their is a blu/wht lead off the ABS controller which goes to pin 30 on the right 30P instrument cluster connector you can use, or you can simply tap into the harness coming off the controller (below).

That's not a bad idea at all. I doubt I will be re-wiring my car soon at all, but I am bookmarking this thread for later this year when I will have to sort a few other things out up front so I can look into an improved idiot light.

thanks!

Sorry guys I've been out of the loop in the NSX community on this site for awhile since I got my new C30 Volvo. I've finally had a little time to look at SOS's kit and it does seem like an interesting kit but I would still like to know whether the ABS program is located in the actual modulator or in another computer somewhere else. I thought all the inputs from the wheel sensors were sent not only to the ABS modulator but also to the traction control computer. From what I know they may be the same computer with different controls to different components. If so then wouldn't it seem logical that the old computer would have to be reprogrammed to handle the newer modulator setup? But again I'm not sure exactly what is involved here. It sounds like Chris has researched this pretty extensively because he definitely doesn't want to provide a kit for stopping a car which may not work correctly and risk people's lives. I mean if you're going to have to spend almost $2K on fixing our old ABS unit or upgrading it for $1.6K, then it's a no-brainer. Would someone who is contemplating doing this, call him and find out what is involved with any of the computer reprogramming possibilities.

Al T.

Last edited:
Back