• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

abs pump replacement

I recently got around to having my defective abs pump replaced with two used ones I bought over the winter .. my mechanic installed one and after installation the abs light came on but he says no code are being illustrated , so I brought the second unit to swap as well and got same results.. I hear the pump doing something for extended time then stops .. light stays illuminated..any ideas on how to utilize one of these used pumps that were supposedly working when removed and removed for up to date conversions ..

Lotta questions

ALB or ABS?

I presume ALB and assume the ALB light turns on after 120 seconds? Or does it turn on immediately when it begins to pump?

The ALB unit is made of a several distinct components, accumulator, modulator AND a pump. Did your mechanic replace the entire ALB unit or just the pump within?

The ALB computer has to be interrogated on its own, there is a connector at the passenger floor board where the carpert meets the bulkhead.

You can just straight up bypass the ALB too

Lotta questions

ALB or ABS?

I presume ALB and assume the ALB light turns on after 120 seconds? Or does it turn on immediately when it begins to pump?

The ALB unit is made of a several distinct components, accumulator, modulator AND a pump. Did your mechanic replace the entire ALB unit or just the pump within?

The ALB computer has to be interrogated on its own, there is a connector at the passenger floor board where the carpert meets the bulkhead.

You can just straight up bypass the ALB too
yes the light came on after the 120 second you reference .. I am assuming my technician (not a specific nsx tech) but master mechanic tried to integrate the system since there is a a component in the foot well of the passenger compartment of car.. I had to take the car back home because my technician is going on holiday to Africa and didn't want the car sitting there in the shop without him until he gets back.. so how does one integrate the system so I can pass info not to him when he returns.thanks again and why I. love this forum.. he initially replaced one complete system and code the light on without any codes thrown so he asked me for second sysytem of which I think he used some components ( again beyond my pay grade

Last edited:
There is no simple answer: the ALB is a complicated janky system, made of extremely expensive parts, and, frankly, doesn't work very well. It's why it was quickly replaced with ABS.

One will have to determine if pump is developing pressure (likey).

You probably need your modulator rebuilt. See the YouTube Certified Course

You'll have to see if your mechanic is up for the job. Also let the mechanic know the ALB has a separate ECU located in the control stack under the dash. Not that will help much in this situation; it is just so the mechanic doesn't waste time interrogating the OBD1 engine ECU for non-existent PIDs.

I recommend just bypassing the ALB and move on with life. Or upgrade to the S2000 kit

Some ALB parts can be scavenged from a Legend. Some JDM CIvics, Accords, and Ascots.

And Amayama still has parts, but there is an aftermarket rebuild kit that is more economical.

Last edited:
Back