• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AC on High only - DIY fix?

Just curious if anyone had attempted the Technical Service Bulletin fix themselves. I just ordered the parts and they should be in this weekend. Dealer wanted approx $760 for the fix. I am paying approx $250 for the blower motor and $215 for the power transistor. According to the dealer, they check and fix other "unspecified" things. Anyone know what they look at? According to the manual and the TSB it looks like an easy repair, but I am somewhat leery of working on my car, even if it is a 92. Any tips would be appreciated.

I don't think you need the blower motor, only the power transistor. From memory, I think I only paid about $175 for the transistor discounted through many of the national club discounters.

The fix is a piece of cake. First, remove the spare tire, spare tire bracket, and drain plastic piece. Then remove the four bolts that hold the blower motor to the firewall. Drop the blower motor down slightly and pull the driver side out slightly. The power transistor is mounted with two screws to the driver side of the blower motor. Replace power transistor and reverse process.

Bob

Great. Now correct me if i am wrong, but the bulletin says that junk on the commutator ring causes a higher than normal current draw, which is why the motor itself needs to be replaced. I am curious, what was your rationale for not replacing both? If I could get away with just the transistor replacement, I would love to, but can't justify it without a good explanation. Thanks for the reply
smile.gif

Back