• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acura Legend Sedan Type II 6-Speed

They are known to have head gasket problems. I owned one for 3 months before selling it due to a head gasket leak. There a giant thread about this issue at Acuralegend.com

Yes they do have head gasket problems. 6speed coupes and sedans are desirable by enthusiasts. I had a 94 coupe 6 speed for 3 months also and sold it. It wasn't what I thought it was although I like the body style. These cars are heavy and underpowered. You can pick one up for $2-3k although they won't be mint like this one. check out Acuralegend.com for more info.

I have had a '94 GS Automatic and a 6-speed for 14 years and 12 years respectively. Knocking on wood, I haven't experienced a head gasket failure. I think that they're great cars and among the last of the best of Honda. That said, they are old and you should have it properly inspected if you're looking to buy one. The mileage of the car on ebay is "relatively" low considering that many Legends are over 200k at this point, and the GS 6-speed is quite rare, but $9k is rather expensive, I think.

acura-legend.com is kinda the defunct and outdated community now; most enthusiasts have moved over to acuralegend.org or the the FB group "Acura Legend Owners and Enthusiasts". I was using a Legend as a daily driver for about 11 years before moving to the NSX and there is a good subset of current NSX drivers here who I first met through the Legend community.

A GS sedan is pretty rare and highly desired, but IMHO the most valuable thing about this particular car is the six speed transmission; as previously mentioned the C32 engine block has proven susceptible to head gasket problems thought to be related to engine vibration and thin gaskets at the back of the motor. I made it to 170K miles before I experienced this problem myself. However this is easily fixed with a C35 engine swap out of a 3.5RL (1997-2003); the C35 incorporated a balance shaft to reduce vibration and AFAIK no one with this motor has had the same head gasket problems that plagued the factory Legend motor.

The cars are about 3450lbs or so and are definitely not sportscars, or even a 'sporty car' IMHO. They are however great daily drivers, very comfortable and a good car for the price and size. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have about it. I'd also ping Tyson (another Legend/NSX driver) and ask him about his six-speed GS. He has rolled well over 500K miles in his Legend.

I had 3 Acura Legned Coupes. One was a 6-Speed Manual, the other two automatics. All had over 100K miles and no head gasket problems. My original one I sold to my friend and that car died after over 200K miles, but not due to any head gasket or engine problem. My 2nd one my brother had and that car too died about 180K miles, but because he had an old leak that he never fixed and eventually just had the car junked. My old 6-Speed as far as I know is still running okay. I sold that one to my sister at about 90K miles, she then sold it to her friend at about 150K miles. I'm not sure why so many people in the mainland are having head gasket problems with the Legend, but in Hawaii when I ran the Hawaii Legend Owners CLub, zero cases of head gasket failures.

I owned a 93 white type 2 LS coupe. The Head gaskets are the Achilles heel of the car. That being said if you are willing to go with an aftermarket head gasket there are head gaskets that are more durable than Honda's OEM gasket. Many owners have also swapped to the 3.5L RL motor. More power/torque and more reliable. Other than that it is probably the best riding car I had ever own. I would love to find another one to put next to my NSX.

Back