• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acura price quote..please comment

Hello
So I need TB/WP and tune up
I went to about the only place I have available close to me
Which Fresno Acura. The service rep quoted me
1. 1850 without tax for TB/WP to be replaced said it requires "3.5" units of time
2. 525 without tax for valve adjustment
3. 600 without tax for spark plugs and synthetic oil. Said it requires "3.2" units of time

Grand total with tax was over 3G's
Ok so I did my research on wiki above and saw what others have paid in the past..I am ok with 1850 for TB/WP but 600 for spark plugs and oil..geeez!!!
Am I being taken for a ride? I would expect that if they are there doin the WP/TB it should not be much more labor time to install spark plugs drain oil and put new oil in...anyways I looked as much as I could through past posts and wiki to see if I could get my question answered before bothering anyone on here and having Someone say "Dood that topic has been discussed a million times here look in the archives" lol jk
Anyways hope someone can help

Also anyone know of a place close to This backward town I live it that I could ship my car to for the work needed above.

Thank you I'm advance

Zaid

The WP/TB seem like a cheap price. You should change out the cam plugs and cam seals. You should also replace the harmonic balancer.

Any mechanic can change the spark plugs on these cars. It shouldn't cost more than $100 in labor.

The OEM plugs are NGK. Dont' buy them from the dealer. You can get them online or if you want to save more money, buy DENSO plugs.

If you are doing the valve clearance, you should change the valve cover gaskets and tube seals.

You didn't mention the hoses? IMO, the price for the TB/WP should be included in 60k service - which would get you a lot of stuff like the valve adjust. The prices after adding them up is BS - that's why they call them the "stealership". I wouldn't pay that - I'd do some investigating to find a good independant mechanic that really knows these cars.

Hopefully the fellow that pm'd you is giving you some info about an independant. Good luck!

Hello
So I need TB/WP and tune up
I went to about the only place I have available close to me
Which Fresno Acura. The service rep quoted me
1. 1850 without tax for TB/WP to be replaced said it requires "3.5" units of time
2. 525 without tax for valve adjustment
3. 600 without tax for spark plugs and synthetic oil. Said it requires "3.2" units of time

I use to work for Honda then Acura service dept. for a few years. I feel like the service rep. did not do his job correctly.

If you are going to do the valve adjustment, the spark plugs have to be removed to take the valve covers off, so then it is considered over-lap. So if you are going to get the valve adjustment and the spark plugs replaced, then all you should pay for is just the spark plugs and not the labour to replace them.

So it should be 525 + spark plugs for the valve adjustment.
I hope this helps.

Definitely purchase your own parts and just pay for the labor involved. You will need more than just the basic parts for this type of job; as the other individuals have stated previously. Go for the full service. You will not regret it! :D

If I were in your shoes, I'd just take it to Driving Ambition. Quite a commute as they are east of Sacto but you probably already know that!! You'd have to leave the car, but knowing the work has been done right for me is good peace of mind.

If I were in your shoes, I'd just take it to Driving Ambition. Quite a commute as they are east of Sacto but you probably already know that!! You'd have to leave the car, but knowing the work has been done right for me is good peace of mind.

If I were in your shoes I'd listen to Sid....:smile:

Anywhere else that is close by
Such as bay area or even LA
I don't mind shipping the car out to get stuff done if they are competent and work on these cars regularly..be nice if they were somewhat reasonable with their prices

i just got my NSX and haven't had to get any work done yet, but from reading on the forums, it seems like there's a number of places you can check out:

Socal:
Autowave

Norcal:
- Hilltop Auto Service in Daily City (I guess someone named Don knows NSX's pretty well?)
- Driving Ambition near Sac (obvious choice)
- Belmont Auto Center (Jim Russell, also seems to be well respected in the norcal section?)

Again, I can't endorse any of these but was looking into shops as well. Maybe do some research or other Primers can chime in?

I'll do you one better.... Cerritos Acura wanted to charge me $260 to change out the fluid in my manual tranmission and another $232 to replace the screws that hold the front turn signals in... oh and install a new bulb in one of the turn signals..... how much bs is this? I had to argue with the service manager to get them to realize that they had the line item for an automatic transmission fluid change rather than a MTF change..... ***FACEPALM*** I even saw the service lady put this on my invoice and told her I have a MT not AT! And she said that theres only one line item for a transmission fluid change..... ugh this will be the last time I Go there! :eek::rolleyes:

So yea be wary of what dealerships quote u and dont accept the price blindly without them telling you why..... this is how most stealerships make their $..... not selling cars but working on them...

The stealer(dealer) is ripping you off. If you do not mind bringing it to SoCal as you said you would be willing, take it to Ramon at Niguel Motors in Laguna Hills. Check under the vendor threads and you will see he does quality work at a great price. To do TB and WP with a 60k service which includes everything you listed and more he charged me $600.00 for the labor, he may charge a little more as I beleive he gave me a deal but I don't think it could be much more The parts cost me $975.00 including tax most of which I got from South Coast Acura in Costa Mesa getting the Prime discount of 25% off. Do the math here and you will see it will be worth taking your car to him. Call him for his total price if get the parts from him. 949-348-2476

- Hilltop Auto Service in Daily City (I guess someone named Don knows NSX's pretty well?)

Don is pretty good with the NSX (there are always a few there when I go) and is reasonable with the price and then calls you if he notices more issues and is liberal with waiving labor charges for the little things (in my case leaking clutch slave cylinder and one leaking CV boot). Good man.

I got my tb/wp/60-k done for 2k or so a few years ago and more recently a clutch replaced. I totally recommend him. Just call him and get a quote and go from there.

Good God. After reading that dealer quote, I am forever thankful that Barney Demonbreun (Barn Man) is in my back yard although his former workplace (Gary Force Acura) isn't any better than Fresno Acura as I saw them charge one old couple $2700 for a TB/WP and new radiator on a '94 Legend Sedan several years ago. I had to ask that "Service Advisor" how he slept at night after that f@#king---

Last edited:
Most of the time you can get some discount for having multiple service done while you're at one of the mentioned shop.

Jeesh!

Take a three day weekend off... drive to Daly City (just South of San Francisco) -- arrive Thursday and get a motel room and give your car to Don Lam (Hill Top Auto Service, (650) 991-8838). Either rent a car for a day or take BART into San Francisco and do some sightseeing. Pick up your car on Saturday afternoon, drive home Sunday. Save a bundle, get it done right.

Done.

hi Zaid --

The transport company we use has pre-negotiated rates for pickups from California. Our cost to do the work is about $1000.00 less, and you'd have the benefit of having a shop complete the work that specializes in the NSX. This past year alone, we have completed 21 timing belt services and more extensive engine builds. If we can help, please drop us a line.

regards,
-- Chris

Back