• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Adhesive removal

PO installed the stick-on Carbon Fiber interior pieces - and they aren't doing for me...

Is there a method and cleaner to get the adhesive off while leaving the interior material unscathed?

depending on where this stick-on cheap-o carbon fiber was placed.

was it over a leather piece? or a plastic piece.

plastic will prob be ok, but if its a leatehr piece then the glue prob
ATE the leather up. post a pic

Goof off is way better, if it is on the console, you will probably run the risk of damage, you will then need refinishing, which is where I come in...

Goo Gone for some reason doesn't work for me. Is there some sort of trick to using it? use it with a heat gun?

It probably depends on what kind of adhesive youre trying to remove.

If the hair dryer trick doesn't work, see if you can get a can of the old formula Afta. Its in the dry cleaning chemical family; the old version was disconinued/banned and the new version is not nearly as good. Its distributed by the people who make Goof-Off.

I have held onto a small can of the old stuff. It took contact adhesive out of carpet. In removing something from our SLK's headliner, it softened the vinyl and caused it to sag, but I left it alone for a few days and the headliner shrank back into shape.

Best wishes for solving this nasty problem.

1019.jpg

While i don't know if it will work with your specific residue, I just LOVE 3m's "adhesive remover". It's about $16 or more but worth every penny. I used to destroy some plastic part (not on the nsx) every now and then until i found this product. Goo be gone is some scary stuff. I will only use it metal.

PO installed the stick-on Carbon Fiber interior pieces - and they aren't doing for me...

Is there a method and cleaner to get the adhesive off while leaving the interior material unscathed?

I have the exact same problem wth my 91. Dumbass PO put the CF sticker on the driver door controls but not the passenger! :mad: I thought about the hair drier trick too, but am too scared to ruin my panel piece.

Goo gone should work if you remove the part in question from the car and give it plenty of time to completely soak into the mounting foam. It can take hours since the foam is probably closed-cell and not too absorbent. You want to reapply and keep the areas wet; don't let it dry out. Once it starts to loosen go slowly and keep an eye on the factory metallic film.

The reason you want to remove the part from the car is that goo gone has a very low surface tension and through capillary action can end up getting where it shouldn't and affecting other adhesives in the car. Also I would be very careful using a heat gun with plastic parts.

Good luck!

Back