• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Adjusting clutch master cylinder rod depth without removing it from the car?

My clutch is engaging way too high. Is there a special technique to reach the locknut from within the footwell? It's so cramped in there I just don't see how. What kind of crazy wrench/extension do I need to reach up in there? I'd rather not remove it from the car and bleed the fluid again.

It is normal for the clutch to engage quite high in the stroke. There is a proper adjustment procedure in the manual for the correct engagement and operation of the clutch master cylinder. I would check that first before changing yours.
When you say high, can you be more descriptive. It may be as intended.

My old clutch was engaging on its own so I adjusted the engagement point even higher to try to fix it. It didn't do anything, and I just had an SOS Sport clutch and rebuilt transmission put in, but the master cylinder was unadjusted.

Just today, the transmission started making a rubbing/humming sound when the clutch pedal was fully pressed in (throwout bearing?). When I take my foot up about an inch, it goes away. If I adjust the master cylinder to lower the engagement point, this noise should go away. I just hope it's not an issue with SoS's rebuilt transmission or my shop's installation.

Last edited:
Is there supposed to be a noticeable step in resistance change when pressing the pedal? If that's what you define freeplay, then I have absolutely none.

Last edited:
My clutch pedal adjust way too high. I have a SOS Twin 700 in it, and it only engages at the very top, only within the last 30% of the movement. The first 60+% it doesn't engage. Any tips or tricks on getting it to engage earlier? I've read the manual, but it's very, very difficult to get under there. Plus there's only 3 or 4 turns of the push rod thread for me to adjust it. Thanks.

The specification for the end play is 1-7mm, I typically see them at about 12mm (1/2inch). The clutch engagement height is a function of the clutch disk thickness/pressure plate thickness, etc. You can only adjust the free play, and as long as you have some free play, it is what it is. NSX clutches always grab high;).

For adjusting it I have a homemade special box wrench. 12 point(I think the size 12mm) I cut a slot into the box end so it looks like a "C", then I cut the wrench in half, to get it in there:).

HTH,
LarryB

Back