• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Advice before I buy this 1995 Red on Tan NSX-T VIN JH4NA1183ST000605

Mattawan, Michigan (Just outside Kalamazoo)
All: This Saturday I will be going to look at this car and would love some input from the experts here on history, problems, price, etc. I should consider before making an offer. I have talked to the dealership and they have 12 years of service history from the most previous owner. Per the dealer they bought the car outright from a friend of the dealerships owner. The water pump and timing belt are due but HAVE NOT been replaced. Clutch master cylinder was replaced 2 years ago. I have been NSX drooling since 1990 and seriously shopping all summer. I want to be as logical as I can BEFORE I drive the thing on Saturday and my emotions and lust get the best of me! I still cannot believe I might actually own an NSX! http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...mt=[ACURA[NSX[]][]]&listingId=353243110&Log=0 Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...mt=[ACURA[NSX[]][]]&listingId=353243110&Log=0

Nice looking ride, nothing jumps out at me. At first I was thinking "where are the floormats", but for some reason they appear to be in the trunk.

try to bargain at least 2k off that price for the TB/WP service. and be sure to get a PPI.

That's a nice color combo, not a fan of the chrome wheels. For sure you should neg. it down use the needing for TB/WP etc. as your bargain tool, also keep in mind if the clutch is original from 95, that's something to consider as well since its going to put you back 2k plus, go over the used check list that Shawn11075 post. Good luck my friend

I have a 96 and that car looks good esp the few shots of the interior.That said there will be issues if the car is still on original brake and clutch master cylinders...they will likely need to be replaced soon.Also cheap insurance is to replace the main relay.

Car looks good but its hard to tell from just pics. When I looked for mine besides the normal stuff I also checked for little things like the condition of the rubber parts, especially the targa seals and cracks in the rubber surrounding the triangle pieces at the base of the windows. I even asked them to pull the spare tire and use the elec pump to inflate it so I could look for any dry rot or cracks. For grins see if it has all three of the rubber bumpers on the spare tire mounting bracket. I did notice a lot of variation in the brake firmness between really well maintained cars and not so much. The brakes should feel really firm and not fade or sink at all when holding the car and the fluids should be pretty much clear not opaque or dirty.

Don't let people put you off a 95 unless you want to track it, then you should probably get a coupe. Just make sure its a good solid NSX and you'll LOVE it. I drove several of both types looking for mine and I couldn't tell that much difference without using a stopwatch. Just put a pair of headers on it and you're right at NA2 horsepower for a few hundred bucks.

In general a 95-96 car should save you some money over a similar condition 97 and up based solely on the Na2 updates.The HP increase can be addressed with headers....that leaves the 6 speed as the major benefit...but that becomes a personal choice.

Guys:

all excellent advice, thank you! I do have the Wiki checklist I will go through at the dealership and if I love it will start negotiations with "well first it's due for some expensive service....."

Red/tan is my favorite combo and my wife's as well.....which pretty much means it must be red/tan. My perfect choice would be a 97, but finding one for sale is tough, I've been shopping for a long time. I'd prefer the larger motor and six speed but this car is for fun, not for the track. Plus this car is near the top of my budget and I will spend some cash on suspension, stereo, and maybe new wheels/tires depending on how these wheels look in real life after car is lowered.

I have also talked to the general manager who assures me the pictures don't do it justice, I'm hoping that's true. I do like that they have it inside, and roped off so the common folk don't touch it!

Also, we live in Michigan and to find an NSX only 150 miles away and so close to my perfect car is even more rare, I was totally prepared for a plane ride south or west to find my car.

Thanks again

For sure the car will look a lot better in person, I have a feeling you will buy this car when you see it in person, it's a very stunning color combo with the targa off. If the car checks out grab it, before it get snatch up and it will. Good luck and post up your pic when you buy it, my bet you already got your check books out

I'm excited for you! I start my hunt in January. Since I'm in Alaska, there is no doubt that I will have to fly and ship my NSX. Sounds like you have your head on right. I'm not as worried about the wearables as I am about the paint. I can replace a TB, but can't put factory paint back on the car. Take a lot of pics and I'll be waiting for your victory posts!

Just woke up at our hotel after spending most of the day yesterday inspecting and driving this car. This morning, she's parked out front of our hotel! YES! The car has all original paint and when we pulled into the dealership they had it out front and the paint was so amazing I prayed I didn't find anything wrong with it, and I really didn't! I still cannot believe I own an NSX, amazing! The dealership was great and all the salesmen watched me go through the checklist and check every damn thing. When we finally drove off (6 hours after we got there) all the salesmen and the detailers came out to watch it drive away.

We took it to dinner and half way there my wife was like "babe, people are honking at us so they can give us a thumbs up!" And when we parked a bunch of groomsmen in a wedding party yelled across the street "is it a Ferrari or an NSX?" My wife yelled back "NSX" and the one guy who had guessed NSX yelled "I told them it was an NSX!"

great first night with it, can't wait to check out this morning and drive her home!

Thanks Prime and all it's members for providing me with a weath of knowledge during my year long search. I'll be on all the time....starting now as I want to trade the pretty tame Comptech exhaust for a Pride.

Congrats!!! Glad you grab her, hope you able to neg. down a little, enjoy the drive home, and as always we need picture

I agree the only NSX's I have ever seen with faded clearcoat has been the Red ones. hell after so many conversion I have like 6 Red hoods sitting at my shop.

a couple are mint but the rest are all faded looks like a typical honda with age

Pictures coming tonight! I was able to negotiate quite a bit off their asking price (enough to cover all service due) and after peeking in my garage this morning I have NO buyers remorse!

Congratulations! I'll bet it is a long, impatient day at work... 'prolly cannot wait to get home :smile: to peek into the garage :cool:

Last edited:
Back